Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingWidenersLoad Data
Inline Fabrication

Thread: Freezing jerky??

Boolit Grand Master

Freezing jerky??

Got a bunch of jerky from Bucees and would like to freeze some of it(so it will last a bit longer). Wondering how that will work and is there a time limit to leave it in the freezer. Its already in sealed packages.

Thanks

PS--That Ghost pepper stuff is stout!!
    Like the bohemian garlic stuff!!

I freeze mine in vac sealed packages. But with the grandkids it only lasts for about a month before they find it and only about a week till it is gone. No ill effects from the freezing. I found a package that got buried around christmas when I made it and it was just fine. If the vac seal fails then it tends to get frost and softens it when thawed. I also found a package of elk jerkey that was 5 years old one time and it was still yummy.
    Steve,

Life Member NRA
    Colorado Rifle Club member
    Rocky Mtn Gun Owners member
    NAGR member

Boolit Master
    I’ve never frozen jerky that I made. Have it in the deer stand, in gi ammo can now for several years. Still taste the same as when new. The salt preserves raw dried meat for ever, no freezing needed.
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government..... When the people fear their government there is tyranny, when the government fears the people, there is liberty." Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Grand Master

I have stashed my home made jerky in a zip lock freezer bag , squeezing out all the air I can , for a year ... that's about the longest I had a pkg. hide . It was just fine . I don't dry mine to shoe leather dryness ... I have trouble eating the super dried stuff so mine is a little pliable and I keep any extra in the freezer ... just because I don't want to take a chance of any spoilage .
    It's dried just not Sahara Desert Sand dry .
    Freezing well dried jerky or commercial sealed ...will probably be edible for 10 years .
    Gary
    Last edited by gwpercle; 06-04-2021 at 11:05 AM.
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Moderator Emeritus

I vac bag and freeze. Longest I have done it is 9 months and that was a package that got lost in the shuffle. Vac bagged and as salty as I like mine it will last years.

Banned

ive taken it out of the freezer vac packed after a year and a half or more and it was as good as the day i put it in there.

Boolit Master
    This seems like a strange concept to me. I would need to jerky a whole big buck or half a cow to have enough to last any time at all around here.

Quote Originally Posted by jim147 View Post
    This seems like a strange concept to me. I would need to jerky a whole big buck or half a cow to have enough to last any time at all around here.
    That's kind of what I was hinting at. It never lasts long enough to go bad. I hide it in the freezer from the Grandkids but they have found my stash so when I go out to get some is is usually gone. Oh well at least they like it. May try ghost pepper on a batch and not tell them, it would be good for a laugh.
    Steve,

Life Member NRA
    Colorado Rifle Club member
    Rocky Mtn Gun Owners member
    NAGR member