Inline FabricationReloading EverythingWidenersRepackbox
RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataTitan Reloading
Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Loose gas checks.

Boolit Bub

Loose gas checks.

I probably won’t even end up useing my gas checks. I’m useing a soft lead mix at 1200 FPS in a4570 marlin. I notice my checks are a loose fit easily slide on and off with no effort whatsoever.... do I glue them on to hold them in place ?

Boolit Master
    Gas checks need to be crimped in place with a sizing die. Sounds like you are not doing that step.

Boolit Grand Master

If your mold is a gas check mold it is likely to shoot better with the check, but no guarantees until you try it in your rifle both ways. If your gas checks are the old Lyman design they do not crimp, if they are modern they should crimp on when the boolit is sized as Charlie mentioned. Soft lead (pure?) has to fit to not leave unpleasant deposits in your barrel. That's actually true of any boolit, but particularly true the softer the metal is.

You also need to look at your lube - do you get a lube star at your muzzle after shooting? That's one way to determine the adequacy of one's lube. No lube star means your lube is either too hard or running out before the boolit gets to the end of the barrel. Unpleasant lead deposits toward the muzzle end of the barrel means the same thing.

You are right, at 1200fps gas checks are not necessary unless your boolit loses accuracy without them. Yes, it is a little complicated, but that's part of the fun.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Moderator Emeritus

Trailboss,
    Welcome to the forum.

I am gonna assume you are doing everything correctly. If that is the case, then the only thing left is the size of the shank (boolit base) is undersized...and this is a fairly common problem.

One trick is to size the boolit without a GC, then install the GC and size the boolit again.

The first sizing can enlarge the shank, making a better and more snug fit for the GC.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master

One trick is to size the boolit without a GC, then install the GC and size the boolit again.

The first sizing can enlarge the shank, making a better and more snug fit for the GC.
    good info, I need to store that away for future recall.
    “Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem.” Ronald Reagan

Boolit Master

What alloy are you using?

What weight bullet?

Are you sizing?

Boolit Grand Master

My gas checks are crimped on when sized .
    Lyman 450 lube/sizer , one cycle of the handle ...check is crimped onto boolit , sized , lubricated and ready to load .
    Try shooting softish alloy boolit in a Marlin Micro-groove rifling with a gas check installed ...
    you just might see a nice improvement over unchecked boolits .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    Non checked GC boolits work fine in my .45/70 Marlin for plinking. I PC most of mine now, but even before I started PCing, they worked well at lower velocities.

Boolit Bub
    I’m useing 98 roof flashing lead bought new from hardware and 2 per cent tin bought from proper shop. CBE mould 4570 To be shot at 1200 FPS 405 grain mould but they always seem to be 412 with my mix ...I’m not sizeing at this stage. I’ll try first to see how they shoot. And I’ll get into slugging my bore and sizeing if I need to improve accuracy

If you're not sizing, there's no way the gas check can crimp itself to the shank.
    I recommend at 0.460 lee push-through sizer for that reason -- if not for just plain uniformity.

Boolit Master

I have resorted to super glue once to secure the gas check to some 6.5 boolits. I am going to shoot them sometime and see how they worked.
    Quis Quis Quis, Quis Liberat Canes

/////////BREAKING NEWS////////////
    Millions and millions of American shooters and sportsmen got up, went to work, contributed to society in useful and meaningful ways all over the nation and shot no one today! How do they controll themselves?? Experts Baffled....

I LIKE IKE

Boolit Master

agreed.. if you are not sizing.. I would not have chosen gas checks.. not sure I would be shooting super soft lead and no gas checks at much over 1000 fps

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Soundguy View Post
    agreed.. if you are not sizing.. I would not have chosen gas checks.. not sure I would be shooting super soft lead and no gas checks at much over 1000 fps
    You must not shoot much 22 LR.
    NRA Benefactor.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Trailboss View Post
    I’m useing 98 roof flashing lead bought new from hardware and 2 per cent tin bought from proper shop. CBE mould 4570 To be shot at 1200 FPS 405 grain mould but they always seem to be 412 with my mix ...I’m not sizeing at this stage. I’ll try first to see how they shoot. And I’ll get into slugging my bore and sizeing if I need to improve accuracy
    I highly recommend you size your boolits.

On rare occasion, I will load some unsized boolits (TL'd) for pistol, but I will always size Rifle boolits.
    >>>With that said, I guess some of the Schuetzen shooters will load unsized boolits, but they have custom molds suited for their rifles...and that's a whole different game.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

45-70 / 405gr / 1,250fps is OK for base-base/30-1 bullets.
    Shooting a bare-base that's otherwise designed w/ a gas-check shank [may] be OK

Boolit Bub
    So I have a 100 or so plain cast lead bullets with a gas check already attatched..I do not crimp much..Are people saying these could separate after firing with no crimp and possibly get lodged in the barrel somehow? Thanks

No. you are referencing a crimp of the case mouth on the bullet when seated.
    We're talking about sizing the bullets long before that, so the gas check crimps on the bullet base

I have some boolits that have big shanks and the GCs are fairly hard to get on. For those, I have an Irwin clamp that I use to seat the GC. Then for some boolits, I PC first and then the GCs fit. Finally I have others that I PC first, then pass the boolit upside down (wide MPLAT boolits only) through the sizer to crimp the GC.
    WWG1WGA

The checks are slightly over size.
    If they aren't crimped on with the sizer---- that also sets your boolit to the correct diameter,
    they might even fall off inside the case.

It's another one of those things that isn't at all like Burger King.
    You don't get it your way........... You do it their way, or ya don't get nothing.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Burnt Fingers View Post
    You must not shoot much 22 LR.
    I do..and 22 isn't pure lead.

I have 22 in hand that won't scratch with a fingernail. I have 5-6 bhn lead wire that will. My lee hardness tester shows about 8. Fryxell mentioned at least 2% tin for 22's and that was years ago. With lead bullets trending harder to survive shipping without marring my guess is they're getting a little bit of alloy with something. Tin etc. Perhaps even. Very low % bismuth back in 2015 Winchester experimented with bismuth in 22lr and 357.
    Last edited by Soundguy; 06-08-2021 at 10:24 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast