RepackboxInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Load DataTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionWideners
Reloading Everything Snyders Jerky

Thread: Dillon 1050

Boolit Bub

Dillon 1050

I am currently looking at purchasing a modern dillon 1050 to load handgun and 223 ammo mainly. Does anyone have experience with these machines?

I do not believe I will be wasting my money buying this unit, I just don't want to say I could have bought more components and a cheaper machine that did the same thing.

Boolit Master

I like my two Dillon 1050
    One is set for small primer and the other for large
    What fun
    I just leave them set up for 9mm and 45acp, and use a Star for 38 special
    and another Star for 357 Mag.
    Mike
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Boolit Master
    I bought a 650 rather than a 1050. Money wasn’t an issue but i wanted the lifetime warranty. I now have 2 of them.

Boolit Grand Master

I have two 1050's and three 650's. I really like the 650's but I love the 1050's.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Grand Master
    I have owned all the Dillon models. Have had 3 1050's and now down to one because of downsizing. If you can afford it, the 1050 is the way to go IMO. There are two features I really like. One is primer pocket swaging and the other is priming on the downstroke (no "feel" needed to get proper primer seating).

My current 1050 is set up for SPP to load 9mm, .38/.357 and .40. I was going to get SPP .45 ACP cases but decided to sell off my .45's. If I need to load bulk 5.56, it will be done on the 1050 as well.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master

dillon has long been the "Cadillac" of loaders and they are great. one thing to think about is that the 1050 is considered a commercial machine and as such does not carry the dillon no bs warranty so if its used and needs some parts they come out of your pocket. I use my 1050 strictly for 5.56 loading and its very expensive to have a quick change head, you can change the dies like any reloader but if you want to leave the dies set and change the head its macho mas dinero. on the plus side you can automate a 1050.
    if you are ever being chased by a taxidermist, don't play dead

Boolit Buddy
    Ive had a 1050 for 5 years. Its been automated for 4. I bought it 2nd hand.

I've broken the plastic piece that holds the powder bar spacer in.

A friend had an automated 650 and broke an indexing ring once a month.

Warranty schmarranty.

Boolit Grand Master
    The fear of paying for parts is a silly reason not to purchase one. Especially if you are hand cranking the thing. Unless you force something, it will last 100's of thousands of rounds. In any case, parts are available and I doubt they are expensive.
    Don Verna

My shoulder loves mine.

Boolit Master
    If you are not in a hurry, go for it! I ordered an XL750 in early November, and it took over four months to get here. Conversion plate took another month. I am still waiting on the 9mm dies I ordered at the same time.

I have more 1050’s than any other model of Dillon presses. One for large/one for small is my standard practice but the 1050 especially with options is more work than I like to go through once I have them the way I want them.

I can swap the priming system on a 550 in two minutes, can’t even get to the parts that need to be changed on a 1050 that fast.

That said, a 1050 will run circles around the others, especially if your .223 brass has crimped pockets.

Boolit Buddy
    I am soo glad you asked!

The 1050 is a wonderful press but is way beyond the beginner. I suggest that you bring it over and set it up on my reloading bench and I will teach you.... No charge!

Kidding

You certainly can get started and produce quality ammo if you do your part.

I expect many of us here would have 1050's instead of Lee or Hornady presses if budget allowed.

I had to start over again a few years ago minus my Dillon. I am currently loading on a Lee Classic Turret and an RCBS Rock Chucker. I can load for my needs on those. With the I could produce quality loads about four times as fast.

Given the cost of reloading supplies these days, slow may be a blessing........

Boolit Bub
    Like others have stated, If I could go back and tell my younger self which press to buy I would say " Get the 1050!!!!"
    If your going to be loading for the next 10 years the cost really isn't that much.
    There is almost no downside to the 1050.

Boolit Buddy

You should tailor you machine to your ammo needs, as in quantity needed to keep the grin on your face. I was happy with a RL450 and a Star for years, then it all went south, ended up with more big Dillons than I care to list. Bottom line is the RL1050 is the best, dont hesitate if the price is in your budget. The shell plates are adaptable to more calibers than they spec on the box, just use different powder drops and pins.

Boolit Master
    Just added a third 650, but now you guys have me thinking about selling one and trying a 1050 for 223 and 300blk.

Boolit Buddy
    The 1050 is quality through and through. It's built like a tank. I have one set up for 45 Colt. Its only drawback, for me, is that it's not so easily converted to another cartridge as the other Dillon's are. But so far as I see that's the only shortcoming. I got mine used and am looking for another to leave set up for one cartridge. Since I bought mine I have never looked back. You won't be disappointed.

^ the OP hasn’t been here since July.

Boolit Master
    Well he made people think and give up information anyway.
    Good info here.