Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyReloading Everything
RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingLoad DataLee Precision
Wideners Repackbox
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Traded into a gem, 1894 Win. .32 special made in 1899!

Quote Originally Posted by Tar Heel View Post
    The 38-55 is a lot harder to load for, brass (right now) is impossible to get,
    Don't understand why people keep saying thing's like this. Go to gunbroker and you will find lot's and lots of brass, and dies on ebay. One just has to want to look for it and pay for it, but it's easy to find.

Boolit Master
    one thing that I've found my 32 win spl is the RCBS 32-170 is the only mold needed and works great. ive seen previous post referring to 32wcf which is a completely different cartridge.

Boolit Grand Master
    Of course you should do as you wish....but I would keep it as is. Char-gar made an excellent point in his post.

If you want a .38/55, getting a newer .30/30 and reboring it is an option. Rifles like you have are less common and to be treasured.
    Don Verna

Banned

I would leave it as a 32WCF. The cartridge is great, it's easy to load for, and brass can be made from 30-30 brass. The 38-55 is a lot harder to load for, brass (right now) is impossible to get, sizing dies and reloading dies are non-existent right now and are at the bottom of the list for restock due to focus on more popular calibers. Why mess with a good thing?
    I agree with leaving it as is, but I load for both .32 Special and .38-55 and the .38-55 is the easiest cartridge to load for there is, especially if you want to use plain based bullets. Not sure where you're getting that from. Brass for everything seems hard to get right now, I bought all mine for both before the run on comoponents, so I wouldn't know, but .38-55 was a standard thing from Star Line not long ago.

Boolit Master
    Guys, I appreciate the replies, but get a grip. I said if worst comes to worst, maybe making it a 38/55. I dont really expect that to be an issue, as the bore looks so good. I already have a JES 336 Marlin rebore to 38/55, and a Winchester Hi Wall in 38/55. I like the .32 special and hope to have it shooting in a couple of days. I have dies, brass, and a sizing die and mold on the way, we will get her up and running shortly and give you a follow up report.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by koger View Post
    Guys, I appreciate the replies, but get a grip. I said if worst comes to worst, maybe making it a 38/55. I dont really expect that to be an issue, as the bore looks so good. I already have a JES 336 Marlin rebore to 38/55, and a Winchester Hi Wall in 38/55. I like the .32 special and hope to have it shooting in a couple of days. I have dies, brass, and a sizing die and mold on the way, we will get her up and running shortly and give you a follow up report.
    I would like to say congratulations on your beautiful rifle!!! Dang it looks nice!!! I hope you have a chance to shoot the tar out of it!
    There was a post a while ago about 30 WCF brass longevity - I have to admit that I got 200 pieces with my 32 WS and I believe I'm short around 5 at this point (lost). It has been remarkable how the brass lasts, and how idiot proof accuracy has been. My oldest son has claimed that one for whitetails, and I can't say he made a poor choice.
    I truly regret not purchasing the Lyman 321265 HP mould when I purchased a 1907 1894 eastern carbine in 32 Special. The seller had it and even included a batch of bullets cast / sized / lubed from it. Those bullets are made for that carbine. Alas, I didn't have the budget for it at the moment. I believe that I have 20 left....I use them only for hunting at this point!!!

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by veeman View Post
    Don't understand why people keep saying thing's like this. Go to gunbroker and you will find lot's and lots of brass, and dies on ebay. One just has to want to look for it and pay for it, but it's easy to find.
    Because I and others do not feel like getting RIPPED OFF by people trying to take advantage of current manufacturing shortages. I am not swimming in money. Perhaps others may wish to pay 2 to 3 times what the merchandise is worth, I am not.

You want brass? I have it. For you it's $400 per 50. Still interested? Am I ripping you off? Yes. But it's here!

Boolit Bub
    I've shot deer with my 32 WS carbine using boolits and Speer jacketed and they go down just as fast using either. I seen another Winchester carbine made in the 1950's the other day and have been thinking about getting it for my grandson.

No need to get upset, you said it was impossible to find. I looked, and it was easy to find. simple as that. To be honest, I didn't even look at the prices. No offense meant.

Boolit Master
    I sized some 170g 8mm .325 down to .323 today, that I had powdercoated and some uncoated. I loaded them up and shot them at 100 yds. It surprised me by showing a preference for the PC slugs. It shot around 2.5" with the PC and some 170g Jacketed factory ammo, and about 3.5" with lubed and sized slugs. I was using 11 gr of Unique. To be honest, it would be hard to shoot much better with the current sights, as the big shear bead covers up about 3.5" at 100 yds. I shot some 6x6" clangers I had out at 130 and 150 yds, no problem ringing them. I am a happy camper.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by koger View Post
    I sized some 170g 8mm .325 down to .323 today, that I had powdercoated and some uncoated. I loaded them up and shot them at 100 yds. It surprised me by showing a preference for the PC slugs. It shot around 2.5" with the PC and some 170g Jacketed factory ammo, and about 3.5" with lubed and sized slugs. I was using 11 gr of Unique. To be honest, it would be hard to shoot much better with the current sights, as the big shear bead covers up about 3.5" at 100 yds. I shot some 6x6" clangers I had out at 130 and 150 yds, no problem ringing them. I am a happy camper.
    Awesome!!!!! I'm glad to hear that you have a shooter out of that good looking rifle!!

Boolit Master
    I would leave it as a 32WCF. The cartridge is great, it's easy to load for, and brass can be made from 30-30 brass. The 38-55 is a lot harder to load for, brass (right now) is impossible to get, sizing dies and reloading dies are non-existent right now and are at the bottom of the list for restock due to focus on more popular calibers. Why mess with a good thing?
    According to the OP, it's chambered in 32 Winchester Special. I don't think I have ever heard of an 1894 chambered for 32-20 (32 WCF).

Boolit Master

Southern Middle Tennessee/ Hillsboro Alabama
    That is a nice rifle , glad it shoots as good as it looks .
    Grumpy Old Man With A Gun....... Do Not Touch !!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by cwtebay View Post
    According to the OP, it's chambered in 32 Winchester Special. I don't think I have ever heard of an 1894 chambered for 32-20 (32 WCF).

That would be a 1892 in 32-20

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Pioneer2 View Post
    That would be a 1892 in 32-20
    Yep

Boolit Bub
    You can always contact the Cody firearms museum and give them serial numbers and they'll be able to tell you what it came with and if it was sent back to be re-barreled. This page here is an accurate page for inputting serial numbers https://winchestercollector.org/dates/

I remember when I was a kid the story was that .32 specials would get worn bores and start keyholing boolits. .30-30 never did. Any truth to that?

Boolit Master
    Interesting Jim22. Wonder if I that's a result of using black powder and not understanding what needs to be done after shooting?

i have two 32 specials, a winchester 94 saddelring carbine a winchester 64 rifle. both shoot well, but i prefer the model 64.

Boolit Master
    Some of the early lots of 32 Special factory ammo had undersize .318 bullets, leading to the concerns about accuracy. Its 1-16 twist makes it a better cast boolit rifle than the 30-30, with bullets that fit. I have gotten excellent accuracy with Flatnose bullets up to 200 grains at 200 yards without stabilization issues and modest velocities. Remember, 32-40 was a 200 yard target rifle with 200 grain bullets using black powder around the turn of the century. Winchester was already tooled up for the 32-40 so the 32 Special was not a big stretch.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast