RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Snyders JerkyLoad DataReloading EverythingRepackbox
Titan Reloading Inline Fabrication

Thread: Altamont grips for SBH Bisley

Boolit Buddy

Altamont grips for SBH Bisley

I posed this question to Altamont but haven't received a response. Does anyone know if their grips for the SBH Bisley are thicker than the ones Ruger ships with the revolver? I'm looking for something thicker, smooth / checkered wood or synthetic (not rubber). I'm open to suggestions if you have experience with something else.

I can't speak to the Bisleys, but the Altamont Blackhawk grips are thicker. I've got them on over a half dozen of my Blackhawks and Single Sixes. They fit my hand so much better than the factory grips, even though Altamont makes the factory grips for Ruger, but to Ruger's specs.

Hope this helps.

Fred
    After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks for the response Fred. I'm willing to roll the dice on that. I'll post comparison photos when they come in so others will know for sure.

I have a set on a .357 convertible Blackhawk. They may be a bit thicker but I couldn't tell the difference. I will say that the scrimshawed bonded ivory really set the gun off. Also, I lost the grip screw and they sent me three free of charge.
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

I've only used the Rosewood Fleur de Le grips, and they're enough thicker to make the grip much more comfortable. If it helps, I wear a size 11 glove.

Fred
    After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs.

Boolit Buddy
    Squatch, I went with the checkered bonded ivory Fleur de Lis. I always put wood on stainless but thought a 480 deserves to be different. Fred, that does help. I'm probably closer to a 10 so hopefully they will work. I'll report back when they come in.

Boolit Buddy
    I have several sets of Badger grips on my Bisley Rugers and really like them. They are thicker.

The bonded ivory combined with the Ruger deep bluing will make that gun an real eye catcher.

Quote Originally Posted by blue32 View Post
    Squatch, I went with the checkered bonded ivory Fleur de Lis. I always put wood on stainless but thought a 480 deserves to be different.
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch-1 View Post
    The bonded ivory combined with the Ruger deep bluing will make that gun an real eye catcher.
    I couldn't agree more.

for years i have been wishing pachmyer would make rubber grips (without finger grooves!!) for the bisley... i don't care much about pretty... just less buzzing my hands shooting hard hitting loads...

They do make pretty grips.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	357 Blackhawk-3.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	47.3 KB 
ID:	284165

Some how got an extra thumb nail attached I couldn't get rid of.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 357 Blackhawk-1a.jpg  

Boolit Buddy
    *Update*

Six weeks later and I get my grips. They're not thicker than the stock Ruger wood grips that shipped with the gun. But both sides are checkered and feel great. The grip material and checkering was the big reason I wanted these; slippery grips on a 480 doesn't lend to great accuracy. Unfortunately that's where the good news ends. The fit on the butt is uneven although I'm willing to overlook that. The biggest shortcoming is the fit around the top where it fails to meet up with the frame. Is this what I can expect for $52 and six weeks? I thought for that amount of time I'd get something that at least fits without noticeable gaps.

In the end the grips are a tool that will help me shoot the gun better. I found that if I apply forward pressure to the grips upon tightening the screw the gap is not more noticeable than the stock wood. The lighter color just may make it more obvious.

Name:	IMG_3275.JPG 
Views:	13 
Size:	36.2 KB 
ID:	286341

Name:	IMG_3277.JPG 
Views:	14 
Size:	34.8 KB 
ID:	286342

Name:	IMG_3278.JPG 
Size:	29.1 KB 
ID:	286343

Name:	IMG_3281.JPG 
Views:	16 
Size:	29.2 KB 
ID:	286344

Name:	IMG_3282.JPG 
Size:	27.7 KB 
ID:	286345

Name:	IMG_3284.JPG 
Views:	15 
Size:	28.3 KB 
ID:	286346

Name:	IMG_3285.JPG 
Views:	13 
Size:	30.7 KB 
ID:	286347
    Last edited by blue32; 07-19-2021 at 08:20 PM.