Load DataInline FabricationReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionWideners
Repackbox
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Midwayusa m1 carbines

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by popper View Post
    I don't understand why anybody wants one. They were designed for close support spray and pray anyway. Other than being not so heavy on my shoulder as a garand, why?
    It is a good self defense weapon. Low recoil, light and short. A good choice for women and smaller framed folks. Not worth north of $1200 IMO...but many think otherwise.
    Don Verna

0510 Alaska Standard Time: National Postal Meter Good to Very Good on the way!

Quote Originally Posted by Mohawk Daddy View Post
    "....there was never a corrosive-primed .30 carbine round...." I wouldn't bet the farm on that. About 40 years ago a nice looking carbine came into my hands from some relatives who had inherited it. They had shot the carbine for exactly one day with WWII spam can ammo and then put it back into the closet to rest for several years without cleaning it. It had no rifling left inside the barrel as in none, nada, nichevo. Could not put lead on paper on a 3'X3' target at 100 yards because it had become a smoothbore.
    The U.S. did not produce corrosive .30 Carbine ammo, but the Chinese did and they headstamped it LC. I actually found an empty a few weeks ago. It was easily recognized as "not" U.S. because it was Berdan primed.

35W
    The biggest waste of time is arguing with the fool and fanatic who doesn't care about truth or reality, but only the victory of his beliefs and illusions.
    There are people who, for all the evidence presented to them, do not have the ability to understand.

NRA Life Member

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by 35 Whelen View Post
    The U.S. did not produce corrosive .30 Carbine ammo, but the Chinese did and they headstamped it LC. I actually found an empty a few weeks ago. It was easily recognized as "not" U.S. because it was Berdan primed.

35W
    Thanks for the info. On edit I can't testify that the relatives ruined that carbine barrel with ammo from a US spam can. They also had several bags of loose ammo, and no one now living knows where that stuff came from.

Boolit Master
    Sold out.

Sold out before noon central time....... wow

I kept refreshing the page and it appeared they completely sold out at about 10:55 CST. Insane and a testament to their IT department. I don't know how they process that many orders in that amount of time. Larry Potterfield is a good businessman.

35W
    The biggest waste of time is arguing with the fool and fanatic who doesn't care about truth or reality, but only the victory of his beliefs and illusions.
    There are people who, for all the evidence presented to them, do not have the ability to understand.

NRA Life Member

Boolit Master

I paid $700 for one about 5 years ago, and thought I did ok . . .really didn't care if I sold it for a profit later as I wanted it. According to this sale, it's worth about $1600.

I'm not that old and the first one I bought for the princely sum of $195 was super fun, but it had to go down the road a couple years later when I needed a nice deer rifle and I was offered $450 trade.

I have never lost money buying military surplus guns. Never.
    "Is all this REALLY necessary?"

Boolit Buddy
    I have wanted one for a long time, and I was tempted. But at the end of the day, an M1 Carbine is simply not worth, to me, what they were charging. Good luck to everyone who got one.

I had one years ago but the stock was not very nice, so I sold it. As much as I'd like one in the safe, I don't really miss it, either.

If only I had bought a truck full back in the 70"s.......
    NRA Benefactor

Quote Originally Posted by Ural Driver View Post
    If only I had bought a truck full back in the 70"s.......
    .....or even just a year ago.

35W

NRA Life Member

Boolit Master
    the thing that kills me is the people that say the M1 carbine is weak, inaccurate outdated, woefully poor, etc., etc.
    True it is not cutting edge technology, not the most powerful, not the most accurate, BUT, from the thread I posted some time ago, the .30carbine is THE most underrated cartridge.
    Yes, it is truly underrated for its size, its weight on shoulder, its accuracy.
    Those people that scold the carbine fall into 2 groups, either they got a gun that is slap wore out sloppy, or, they just dont know how to shoot.
    given a carbine rifle with a correct chamber/bore/ammo/shooter, it is a no-joke firearm, not to be scorned

It was like the Great Oklahoma Land Rush this morning! Agree with both 35W and kens. Kudos to Midway's organization/preparation. I was fully expecting the site to go down, and it was a bit slow on check out, but it did not crash. I was able to get shipping details quickly. Maybe I just got lucky in the accuracy dept with my previous acquisition, an Inland that I rebarreled myself. It will regularly bounce coke cans @100 with ease. Hopefully the "new" carbine will be just as accurate.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by .455 Webley View Post
    I once ran into some berdan primed carbine ammo. It even had a fake LC -50 headstamp. Supposed to have been made in China for use with captured carbines. Never heard of or read about it anywhere else.
    I read that about 10-15 years ago somewhere.

Boolit Master

I would have liked to have had one of the Inland arms carbines but I am not willing to pay $1699.00 for a very good carbine. Everybody spends their money as they wish but I do not see the value in this sale. Larry is a good business man and he got the value for the next 5 to 10 years out of his rifles. If they had a documented history of service (say in Korea) and had not been compromised by all the rebuilding and parts changing, that would be another matter. If I was going to buy another carbine, I would find one of the New Inland Arms versions and buy it.

I saw (TV or internet) where someone compared the 30-06 vs .30 carbine with ballistic clay and the carbine made a larger cavity than the 06. Probably due to a pointed vs round bullet, however, the French Foreign Legion used it in Africa with much success. I believe the round is underrated.

Sucks getting older but beats the alternative, my mind is going. I've got CRS.

Slim
    JUST GOTTA LOVE THIS JOINT.

Boolit Master

I am with you slim, anyone who says the M1 .30 Carbine is not a good defensive weapon has no experience with it. I shot a lot of carbine in the 50's and 60's and it a very effective cartridge when one doesn't try to make a magnum out of it. It would be hard to beat a little M1 carbine for a in home defensive weapon, especially for the wife. Light and deadly at close range of anything under 200 yards. Ruger missed the boat by not making the M1 carbine instead of the turkey they put out in 9mm. That thing is clunky and bulky in my mind. It is also heavier than a M1 carbine. The only thing it had going for it was the availability of cheap 9mm ammo and even that has pretty much dried up. I will take the .30 carbine cartridge over a 9mm also. I shot quite a few of the hollow points in it and they expanded well. This has got me thinking and I may try to find a new Inland carbine. Stand to james

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by muskeg13 View Post
    It was like the Great Oklahoma Land Rush this morning! Agree with both 35W and kens. Kudos to Midway's organization/preparation. I was fully expecting the site to go down, and it was a bit slow on check out, but it did not crash. I was able to get shipping details quickly. Maybe I just got lucky in the accuracy dept with my previous acquisition, an Inland that I rebarreled myself. It will regularly bounce coke cans @100 with ease. Hopefully the "new" carbine will be just as accurate.
    Yes it did crash! I had a Rock-Ola in my cart and was almost done with the checkout when it crashed. When it came back up, my cart was empty and all the Rocks were gone. Don't tell me it didn't crash. I know several guys who lost out on their carbines of choice for that same reason. We were among the very first people to select and go to checkout. It crashed for us at 9:04 EST.

Quote Originally Posted by jimb16 View Post
    Yes it did crash! I had a Rock-Ola in my cart and was almost done with the checkout when it crashed. When it came back up, my cart was empty and all the Rocks were gone. Don't tell me it didn't crash. I know several guys who lost out on their carbines of choice for that same reason. We were among the very first people to select and go to checkout. It crashed for us at 9:04 EST.
    I began checking out a few seconds after opening and was in the middle of checking out at 9:04 EST/5:04 AST. It was slow and hung up twice, but the entire system did not crash. You probably lost your carbines of choice because Midway realized they were sold out while your order was being processed. Maybe the long delays at different stages in the check-out process were related to inventory verification before going to the next step? I suspected the Rock-Olas and IBMs would probably sell out immediately and never considered them. If some customers had the time to select and purchase multiple carbine variations, the problem of losing something in a cart may have been confined to high demand/short supply variants.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by TNsailorman View Post
    I would have liked to have had one of the Inland arms carbines but I am not willing to pay $1699.00 for a very good carbine. Everybody spends their money as they wish but I do not see the value in this sale. Larry is a good business man and he got the value for the next 5 to 10 years out of his rifles. If they had a documented history of service (say in Korea) and had not been compromised by all the rebuilding and parts changing, that would be another matter. If I was going to buy another carbine, I would find one of the New Inland Arms versions and buy it.
    I hadn't heard of them and of course stupid me had to look them up. Now I am starting to think which is very dangerous for me. Thanks a lot there pal...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast