Reloading EverythingWidenersInline FabricationRepackbox
Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters Supply Lee Precision
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Midwayusa m1 carbines

Friend of mine just bought an Inland at LGS for 1400$ Very good bore, good wood, good shape. Only downcheck was the front handguard on top was loose. He has not found any ammo for yet so he has not shot it yet. But he is pleased.
    I truly believe we need to get back to basics.

Get right with the Lord.
    Get back to the land.
    Get back to thinking like our forefathers thought.

May the Lord bless you and keep you. May the Lord make His face to shine upon you and be gracious unto you
    and give you His peace. Let all of the earth – all of His creation – worship and praise His name! Make His
    praise glorious!

Boolit Master
    A VERY CAREFUL tweaking of the metal tab riveted at rear of that top wood will fix it up.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 35 Whelen View Post
    Unless you've been under a rock, you'll notice the prices of Carbine's have been climbing for the last few years and have skyrocketed in the last few months.

I gave $900 each for two Carbines a year ago. Based on Midway's lowest grade (Fair to Good), today one would sell for around $1150, the other $1250. (Realistically mine would grade Good to Very Good). Earlier this year I bought an Inland through an online auction and gave $900, shot and piddled with it some and sold it a few weeks later for a bit north of $1100 for a $200 net gain. Conversely, my savings account, a liquid asset, is paying .10% interest and last year I made $27.67 in interest.....on a 5-figure savings account.

So actually a smart person would've bought a half dozen crates of them a year ago and been sitting on a very nice, easy gain on their investment and I assure you Midway will sell every last one of those Carbines.

There's some "LOL" for you...

35W

The view from under my rock is different. I stopped investing in most guns when I realized there is greater upside in ammunition and components if someone waits for the cycles (easy 100% return if not more). The only downside is that a few folks label me a hoarder and scalper. Some think I am prepared. Oh well.

As to the Midway offerings, I doubt anyone buying them will net a 20% return for years. Those that already have a couple will benefit from the madness, but buying high generally is not a good strategy.

So how many are you planning on buying?
    Don Verna

If it sells at $1500, then it's a $1500 gun.

ADMIN

the market will determine the price.
    I attempted to sell my Inland mid-80s import for $1100 and didn't get any bites last year.
    I was told it was over priced. So it went back into the safe.

Gag

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by HATCH View Post
    the market will determine the price.
    I attempted to sell my Inland mid-80s import for $1100 and didn't get any bites last year.
    I was told it was over priced. So it went back into the safe.
    Agree...but a wise man knows when to ignore the market and wait it out. Market price for primers a few months ago was over $200/k. Only desperate people were paying that. Guns and gun stuff are not necessities so if the market is nuts, waiting for the panic to die down makes sense.

These Midway M1's seem overpriced but all of them will be sold. Like I said in my previous post, guys like you can benefit as you have one to sell that did not cost you $1500. As an investment, I do not see much upside in them at Midway pricing. Just checked Gunbroker and guns with bids are in the $1200 range.

I remember basic AR's going for $1500 and HC mags for over $30 during the last scare. Now they are half that price. Sometimes the market is on fire. But that is when to cash in....not buy.
    Don Verna

At first I was excited (been in the market for one for a few years, I have 200 rounds of new LC .30carbine ammo. Not going to pay Midways ransom for one though. I know where I can get an Auto-Ordinance for under $500.

Super Moderator

This Midway sale differs from some of the previous CMP offers because of the wide variety of different manufactures available to chose from. I have no idea of the provenance or authenticity of any of these, but there may be some real gems in the mix. At the same time, there may be some real dogs too. I'm not going to go for any because the import marks are a deal breaker for me, at the prices they are asking.

Boolit Master

I suspect the serious carbine collectors will be in quite a lather over these.

Like Garands, there was a lot of re-working in the Korea/post-Korea era, and finding unaltered WWII-era examples is a real challenge.

UNLIKE Garands, there was never a corrosive-primed .30 Carbine round, and it's not like the cartridge is a barrel burner. Probably some items of real historical interest there.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Boolit Buddy
    When you consider the price of the new made carbines a real one for 1200 seems like a reasonable price. A person could spend all that money and more on some over hyped AR or wonder magnum with nice glass. At the end of the day a good m1 carbine is a treasure, nothing else like it.

Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    The view from under my rock is different. I stopped investing in most guns when I realized there is greater upside in ammunition and components if someone waits for the cycles (easy 100% return if not more). The only downside is that a few folks label me a hoarder and scalper. Some think I am prepared. Oh well.

As to the Midway offerings, I doubt anyone buying them will net a 20% return for years. Those that already have a couple will benefit from the madness, but buying high generally is not a good strategy.

So how many are you planning on buying?
    I have enough components to last the rest of my life, and personally wouldn't invest in components and/or ammunition because the cycles/elections are too far apart for my tastes. But if that works for you, more power to you.

If I was close enough to you for a handshake, I would bet you a substantial sum of money that your 20% prediction will be wrong. The prices of the Midway Carbine's are "in the ballpark" right now so the little rifles have room to go up in value in the near future. If want a good idea of the selling price of Carbine's, go to Gunbroker and search completed auctions and omit makers such as Universal, Plainfield, Iver Johnson, Nat'l Ordnance, Auto Ordnance, et al., it's rather eye-opening.

M1 Carbine's are a new phenomenon for many shooters and are just now being discovered by gun junkies who are in to black rifles with long magazines hanging from the bottom, and sighting systems that needs extension cords or jumper cables protruding from the top. i.e.- there is a new market for Carbines.

How many am I planning on buying? I had planned on buying one initially, but I may get two or three, or I may get two and watch the auctions for Carbine's to see if they slow down due to all the attention Midway is getting.

35W
    The biggest waste of time is arguing with the fool and fanatic who doesn't care about truth or reality, but only the victory of his beliefs and illusions.
    There are people who, for all the evidence presented to them, do not have the ability to understand.

NRA Life Member

Boolit Buddy
    Classic surplus is about gone. The last 20 years have been a golden age never to return.

Boolit Bub
    Yeah much better deals can be found..Look over on the CMP, quite a few come up reasonable there..

For the price of two car payments you can get a non depreciating piece of our nation's history that is ever useful for what it was made for and more.
    In my opinion.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Carbineone View Post
    Yeah much better deals can be found..Look over on the CMP, quite a few come up reasonable there..
    CMP hasn't had M1 Carbines for over a decade.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigslug View Post
    I suspect the serious carbine collectors will be in quite a lather over these.

Like Garands, there was a lot of re-working in the Korea/post-Korea era, and finding unaltered WWII-era examples is a real challenge.

UNLIKE Garands, there was never a corrosive-primed .30 Carbine round, and it's not like the cartridge is a barrel burner. Probably some items of real historical interest there.
    "....there was never a corrosive-primed .30 carbine round...." I wouldn't bet the farm on that. About 40 years ago a nice looking carbine came into my hands from some relatives who had inherited it. They had shot the carbine for exactly one day with WWII spam can ammo and then put it back into the closet to rest for several years without cleaning it. It had no rifling left inside the barrel as in none, nada, nichevo. Could not put lead on paper on a 3'X3' target at 100 yards because it had become a smoothbore.

I don't understand why anybody wants one. They were designed for close support spray and pray anyway. Other than being not so heavy on my shoulder as a garand, why?
    Whatever!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by popper View Post
    I don't understand why anybody wants one. They were designed for close support spray and pray anyway. Other than being not so heavy on my shoulder as a garand, why?
    They are fun light rifles.

Boolit Buddy
    I once ran into some berdan primed carbine ammo. It even had a fake LC -50 headstamp. Supposed to have been made in China for use with captured carbines. Never heard of or read about it anywhere else.
    Last edited by .455 Webley; 06-07-2021 at 10:06 PM. Reason: Typo

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast