MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersTitan ReloadingRepackbox
Load DataInline FabricationReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Lee Precision
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Trimming 38 Special Cartridge Cases for Use in a S&W Model 52

I have been using the same Wilson trimmer for over 50 years. Not very fast, but ultra precise. I trim all handgun brass of the same caliber to a uniform length. If you are after ultimate accuracy, that will require uniform crimps and that is obtained by cartridge cases of the same length with square case mouths. If you are just going bang, bang, bang, then it isn't worth the bother.

Nobody will ever learn to shoot very well, with mediocre or slap dash ammo. A shooter, must know if where the rounds land are the fault of the ammo or the shooter.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Char-Gar View Post
    I have been using the same Wilson trimmer for over 50 years. Not very fast, but ultra precise. I trim all handgun brass of the same caliber to a uniform length. If you are after ultimate accuracy, that will require uniform crimps and that is obtained by cartridge cases of the same length with square case mouths. If you are just going bang, bang, bang, then it isn't worth the bother.

Nobody will ever learn to shoot very well, with mediocre or slap dash ammo. A shooter, must know if where the rounds land are the fault of the ammo or the shooter.
    I hate to admit it but I know what the problem is.
    John
    W.TN

Quote Originally Posted by greenjoytj View Post
    Wilson trimmer, after market micrometer head replacement for the Wilson OME head from Sinclair International. The straight wall rimmed pistol cases required a “Q-type” case holder.

Without a taper on the case to jam the case tight into the case holder the Q-Type holder has a tapered square pin that cross pins through the holder behind the case head of a rimmed straight sided case, immobilizing the case so the cutter will cut rather than just spin the whole case in the holder. Mine works perfectly but it was expensive.
    +1 for this. I tried RCBS (sold), Redding 2400 (sold) and Lee Pin style and the Wilson works. All the others use a conical collet clamp to hold the case. The more you tighten the case, the more the head of the case moves and your length vary too much (I think 0.005" is a lot). The Wilson will give perfect trim.

Recently I convinced Giraud to make me a 38 special pilot. I use a Lee trimmer holder and the giraud and get trim AND chamfer within 0.001" at over 1000 cases an hour easily. I wouldn't buy one just for 38 Special, but I use it for 5 other calibers so it worked for me.

Boolit Bub
    I too competed heavily in Bullseye with both a model 52 and a Clark 1911 Mid Range. I started with new Rem brass and both guns shot the same loads. After twelve years I never had a cracked mouth or needed to trim brass. These low velocity loads are very easy on brass. I never knew any other competitors shooting wadcutter bullseye loads who trimmed. Never saw anybody taper crimp wadcutters. Start with new brass and keep it separate.

Boolit Master
    my opinion is the Lyman trimmers are not junk but the brass gets gripped in the universal chuck much better if primers are punched out before trimming. ive got two of them, the old powdered one and the hand crank one. but they are not so healthy anymore after being stored improperly and getting covered in rust. but ive got an old box full of the lee trimmers and have been using them but they are fixed length , would not help in making custom length 38 spl. and most recently a Hornady hand crank trimmer that I came across but won't work unless you use Hornady shell holders, unless you want to anneal, drill and chamfer--then re harden other brands of shell holders. I do have Hornady shell holder for 22 hornet. the trimmer works great and can be set to any length. looking forward to getting more shell holders and will continue to soak the rusted stuff, maybe I can persuade it to free up ---this winter?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12