Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2RepackboxLoad Data
WidenersReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline Fabrication Lee Precision

Thread: 45-70 lever gun advice

Boolit Bub

45-70 lever gun advice

I’m kicking around the idea of getting into a 45-70 lever gun with a threaded barrel. I’m planning on casting subsonic fun wallop rounds....not into heavy recoil and noise.

Anyway, there looks to be a nice selection of rifles out there but I have reservations.

1) are Marlins really worth that much? And why?
    2) a Taylor 1886 takedown looks really appealing for my current tastes. Is there anyone shooting one with a suppressor here? Results with accuracy? Pro’s/cons?
    3) should I be looking into a Henry with a threaded barrel? They seem the cheapest in the current market, also add same follow up questions as #2.
    4) OR should I be forgetting the 45-70 all together and maybe focus on 45LC or 44Mag for a platform if I’m only interested in subsonic walloping rounds?

As for right now, I’m leaning towards a nickel/chrome finish Taylor 1886 takedown to hopefully get one “cry once” rifle in 45-70. Am I on the right track or do I need to be looking somewhere else?

Thanks in advance to the pool of knowledgeable ones here!

Boolit Buddy

Somewhere between the Red and the Rio Grande
    Its your money , but IMHO the 45LC or 44Mag would be cheaper to shoot. Just my opinion.
    Keep your powder dry and watch your six !!

Boolit Master
    With the right rifling twist the .45 Colt with something like the Lee 300 grain RNFP should give you all the thump you need. The .44 Mag with the Lee heavy boolit should do the same. Less gun cost, less brass cost, less lead used, lower overall gun weight, those would be my considerations in that situation. A Marlin would let you scope it easily, too. GF

Boolit Buddy
    I shoot a couple of threaded/suppressed lever action 45/70’s:

A first year Marlin Gun I had shortened and threaded behind the ports:

And a Chiappa Ridge Runner 1886 copy that is factory threaded with an 18.5” barrel:

If you’re already set up to load 45/70 I’d say go with that caliber.

That said, if you have to go out get set up to load 45/70 with brass, dies bullets/powder I’d say pass on the rifle caliber especially if you’re already set up to load either 45 Colt or 44 magnum.

Reference your questions.

1. I would not pay over 2000 dollars for a Remlin “Dark” factory threaded 45/70 nor would I buy a marlin (JM or Remlin) and go to the trouble of having it cut down. I did mine years ago befor factory threaded leverguns were available

2. I have the Taylor/Chiappa Ridge Runner that is a takedown and would recommend it to anyone wanting a short fast handling version of the 1886 that has a threaded barrel. I have killed many hogs with mine and it is my “go to” for such business. It’s one drawback is that it’s very expensive. I got mine on the cheap when my LGS got a dozen used T&E guns in (6 stainless and 6 black) stainless guns were $999.00 and the black ones were $799.

3. The Henry Threaded rifles a good option, American made with a good warranty/customer service. I don’t own a Henry but if they were making their threaded models back when I was getting set up for suppressed levergun work I would have went with the Henry.

4. If you looking for a “Range Toy”/ plinking rifle and you’re already set up for loading 45 Colt/44 mag that’s what I’d recommend.

If the rifle is going to pull double duty as a hunting rig with loads that are going transonic/supersonic and you want/need more power than the 45 Colt and 44 mag can muster (and you can stand the expense/misery of setting up for a new caliber in these trying times) the 45/70 might be your ticket.

P.S.

I also shoot a Rossi Ranch Hand in 45 Colt I converted to an SBR and had threaded and it is a hoot to shoot suppressed.

These Ranch Hands (when SBR’d) are the penultimate Leverman’s range toy and when suppressed it just doubles the fun.

The rifle on the right is a Stainless Marlin 1894 CST factory threaded model.
    Last edited by ATCDoktor; 06-03-2021 at 01:15 PM.

Marlin would be my first choice, but wait till See what Ruger made Marlins are like.

Henry I would buy the Steel version. Well made and as strong as the Marlin. Action is really close and check it out with the side gate.

Why buy a 45/70 if you never want to shoot the herd hitting bullets. Load down for range plinking, but really the heavy hitters is what the rifle is about. At least in my opinion, which really does not mean much.

1876 is a pretty heavy rifle and a big rifle. The other two is lighter.
    Aim Small, Miss Small.