Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
RepackboxLoad DataReloading EverythingWideners
Inline Fabrication Titan Reloading

Thread: ''Leap of Faith'' rifle.

''Leap of Faith'' rifle.

While browsing various sites for a collectable American Civil War long arm, I ran across this beauty. Not American and not used in our war of killing each other, but I was attracted to it. It was advertised as a British Pattern 1860 Army Rifle, ( five groove progressive depth 1:48'' twist rifling) but it doesn't fit the Army profile, it's furniture being brass rather than iron of the British Army Pattern. It doesn't fit the Pattern of 1858 Naval rifle either, the rear sling swivel being mounted behind the trigger guard tang into the wood of the stock unlike either the Army or Naval Patterns, yet it's as British as ''Big Ben''.

I couldn't get this rifle out of my mind and consulted Dr. C.H. Roads book on the British Soldier's Firearm and came up with nothing. I called the seller, the reputable world known Simpson LTD company and the only thing gained was, ''It has a perfect mirror bore and no rust or pitting anywhere on it.'' Okay, I wanted this rifle, but was unsure of it's pedigree. Consulted Roads book again and still nothing on this particular ''Pattern'' of Enfield. Almost a week of trying to decide on it, I finally thought that for the price it would make a good original shooter if nothing else and ordered it.

Had I made a mistake? Buyer's remorse set in, but I at least had a three day inspection to send it back... It arrived a day early and the grand unboxing took place and found it in better shape than the ad or salesman said. Okay, check Roads book again. Hmmm, maybe Royal Marines in the index?.. Yes, page 97! No photo, but a short description, ''The majority of Naval rifles have the lower sling swivel attached to the point of the trigger guard, but some examples are to be found with but swivels for special issue, mainly to the Royal Marine Artillery.'' Okay, it's genuine!..and appears unfired with an original sling, just some handling and storage marks.

Now, do I go ahead and shoot this thing, or preserve it? The Naval Rifle of the same Pattern was a prize possession in the hands of Confederate Sharp-Shooters during the war and renowned for their accuracy so, yeah I really want to shoot this gun! On the other hand, it's among the best examples of this pattern I've ever seen, and being a Royal Marine Rifle rather than a usual Naval Rifle P58 makes it even a rarer find.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	a7pqUPsl.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	32.4 KB 
ID:	283931

Name:	v1jU3O0l.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	40.1 KB 
ID:	283932

Name:	VxK89M7l.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	33.2 KB 
ID:	283933

Name:	PH5XJWyl.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	39.4 KB 
ID:	283934

Name:	xOC5mxcl.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	31.2 KB 
ID:	283935

Banned

Whatever it is………..it’s a beauty!

Thanks, the lady held up well for being 160 years old!

Boolit Master
    Very nice, in great shape. Nice markings.
    I shoot, or have shot, my antiques, the oldest being an 1842 H. Aston. Low powder charge, and it should be fine. I did buy a very cheap bore camera to see those hard to reach areas in some antiques but it might have made me less sure on firing or not. Was that a crack I see in the bore, or a scratch, or a dog hair?

I've shot plenty of original Springfields, Enfields, Harpres Ferry, and contractor front loading and breech loaders, and bought this one with the intent of shooting it, but it just seems TOO NICE to shoot as there's no evidence it's ever been shot, possibly other than being, ''Proofed''. They're only unfired once.

The ones I've shot were certainly lower condition than this one, it would be a shame to lower it's condition by shooting it, even just using wet patches to wipe the cap residue from the bolster will eventually rub through the bluing. For the first time in my life I kinda wish a gun wasn't so nice, on the outside at least.

Boolit Master

Southern Middle Tennessee/ Hillsboro Alabama
    I'd shoot it unless my plan was to try to sell it for a profit . All my guns get shot . Congratulations .
    Grumpy Old Man With A Gun....... Do Not Touch !!

Boolit Buddy
    Looks great now the question how much?

Boolit Master
    Shoot it as you only come this way once ,when yer on who cares !!!!Ed

$2,600.00 shipped to my door, about what a very nice specimen Springfield 1861 or 1863 would run. American used Civil War specimen P58 in that condition would go for $4,500.00 or more, IF found as they saw some long hard use here and probably would be found in much lower condition. About 80,000 Short Pattern Enfields were imported during our Civil War, of those the majority were P56 Army Pattern with lighter 1:78 three groove constant depth rifling. Probably only 5,000 or so were of the Naval Pattern, (imported to the South) which were reserved for Confederate sharp-shooters. About 20,000 P56 Rifles known to be bought by the North. I've never read of any P60/61 Rifles bought by either side, but there's a possibility I suppose.

England, being neutral during our Civil War made it a high crime to sell or export ''Her Majesty's'' arms, which were well marked with a ''V*R'' under the crown on the lock plate, broad arrow on the barrel and stock, and other lesser stampings. The gun makers of Birmingham, London, and Liege however enjoyed fat profits selling arms to both sides. The British P53 Riflemusket was the AK-47 of it's day with the Short Patterns being more a specialty type.

Yeah Eddie, I'll probably end up shooting it. The temptation is just too great, even though I have other Springfields and Enfields of the same era to shoot.