RotoMetals2Load DataWidenersRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionInline FabricationReloading Everything
Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Desperado 11" double barrel 12 GA pistol

waksupi, I know you know your stuff and I respect you for all your knowledge accumulated in your lifetime of shooting and building muzzle-loaders, but I can't agree with your statement of not removing nipples every time the gun is shot to clean the channel. Some guys remove the barrel, submerge it in water and pump the cleaning rod in and out to remove the fouling in the channel, but it's just not practical with today's tiny flash hole nipples. I use them in all my percussion guns, original or re-pop. They prevent a lot of blow-back and nasty stuff from accumulating on the wood and bolster with their tiny choked lower flash hole, but don't behave very nice when it comes to having water flushed through them. The old large hole nipples, okay, you could flush them pretty good without removing them, but not these new choked ones. They really should to be removed for cleaning, lubrication, and inspection each time they're shot in my opinion.

Boolit Grand Master

As far as I'm concerned, a nipple or breech plug removed only once a year is a non-removable item. Every one of mine is removed every single time. Cap and ball, pistol, rifle, or shotgun. I've tried not removing the nipples. The result is that they are extremely hard to remove. If you take them out every time, you don't even need anti-seize.

The best part waksupi, you are right. Anyone who removes nipples to clean is also correct. I'm well convinced by this point that there is more than one way to clean a gun, and all methods providing what that person wants.

Boolit Bub
    I've always saved my shotgun shells for use in my coach gun. But now I'm keeping the 209 primers and will try to reuse them.

There are several videos on YouTube "Reload 209 Shotgun Primers" showing how to take the primers apart and reload them with cap gun caps together with match tip powder or Armstrong mixture. I might try just using Prime-All since I already use it to make percussion caps.

I seem to remember a time when they sold the actual primers and tool to reload 209's, or battery cup primers as they called them, or maybe I'm slipping into senility getting things mixed up.

Boolit Grand Master
    Eager to hear an extensive range report. What a hoot to have around.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Ithaca Gunner View Post
    I seem to remember a time when they sold the actual primers and tool to reload 209's, or battery cup primers as they called them, or maybe I'm slipping into senility getting things mixed up.
    You are not slipping!
    There used to be a small 'press' available to reloaders that punched the primer itself out of the 'battery cup' portion of the shotshell primer.
    You also saved the flat anvil piece that was inside the assembly.
    Then 'reloaded' the assembly with a fresh primer using the old battery cup and old anvil.

The primers look just like a LR primer but w/o any LR type anvil down inside them,,none needed as the shotshell primer usesreuses that spade type flat anvil.

I still have some of the primers. Mine are CCI and I think they are #200M size but I could be mistaken on that.

Most primer mfg made the specialty primers for reloaders though the idea kind of faded away by the mid 60's.

In older back issues of GunDigest, from the 50's where they listed and showed the reloading tools and components of the day, you can see the small press at times and the special primers listed.

Boolit Bub
    Thanks for the pics, I'm thinking about ordering one myself. I can't wait for a more detailed range report, and more pics of course, lol!

Man that thing is awesome! How long can this be left loaded before you start to worry about the load not working or the black powder corroding the chambers?

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Gtrubicon View Post
    ...How long can this be left loaded before you start to worry about the load not working or the black powder corroding the chambers?
    Unless the gun is kept in a very humid environment it will not corrode. Dry powder is not corrosive. Some guns have been been fired after being loaded for over a hundred years. Upon inspection of the bore there was no corrosion.

Most houses are very very very dry, especially if you use A/C or a heater that blows hot air. That's why many people get the sniffles and runny eyes when in an air conditioned environment. It dries and irritates your mucus membranes so your body compensates. I learned about it when I was a Navy weather guesser in San Diego in the mid 70's and experienced my first hot and dry Santa Ana wind. The relative humidity got down to 10% and everyone was suffering.

Boolit Mold
    My 8" Desperado got here last week, I think it only took about 5 weeks to get here. Now I just need to find time to get it out.

I just got my 8" Desperado 20 ga about a week ago. After playing around with it, I also ordered the larger rubber grip to go with it.
    Got 2 bags of 20 ga slugs from Fury Bullets in the mail today.
    https://www.furycustombullets.com/we.../shotgun-slugs
    I'm going to try to wring it out tomorrow before it gets way too hot.

Note...received the grip today. This is not soft and it's the same grip that's already on the 8" Desperado when you by it.
    Last edited by Skipper; 07-12-2021 at 09:18 PM.
    The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government.
    -- Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Gtrubicon View Post
    Man that thing is awesome! How long can this be left loaded before you start to worry about the load not working or the black powder corroding the chambers?
    I think about the same thing and even though I know it's not necessary I shoot it every few weeks. I took it out today after loading it 3 weeks ago. It's my bedside gun (along with a 1911). Both barrels went BOOM. Man ! It's a handfull ! I upped my load to 85 gr FFFg and 27 pellets of #4 buckshot and changed how I wrap the load. I use 28 lb copy paper wrapped twice around a .710 mandrel, folded at both ends and held together with Elmer's glue stick. It patterns nicely at indoor distances. 1/8" nitro card, 1/2" fiber cushion wad, another 1/8 nitro card as an overshot card. The recoil is brutal and I don't want the 2nd load to get dislodged. I use a padded velcro strap wrapped around the barrel and my support hand. Without the strap I lose my grip on it.

Later in the day I cast 220 pellets of 00 buckshot using: a Lee Pro 4-20, high capacity, bottom pour, electric melting pot, a .330" buckshot mold from Marty's Arms, and ingots made with range scrap. Then I spent some time cutting the balls off the sprues with IGAN-P6 Wire Flush Cutters I bought at Amazon. They are very sharp and snip through the lead easily.

Boolit Bub
    Any range reports from the guys who said they had a Desperado on order? What's your load?

And, if you like the idea, contact AGC and ask them to make a shoulder stock for it. info@americanguncraft.com
    Last edited by CTI1USNRET; 09-26-2021 at 09:52 PM. Reason: Added something

You people are nuts. What in the hell would you use that thing for? YIKES!

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by freakonaleash View Post
    It's on my bedside table, and, it's my truck gun. Compact, maneuverable, POWER.

Boolit Bub
    From the day I received my 11" Desperado I've wanted a shoulder stock for it.

Today (4/1/22) in response to my latest email request, American Gun Craft replied,
    "Shoulder stocks are in the works, please check the website in 3-4 months for updates."

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by freakonaleash View Post
    Even if you miss the burglar, the fear factor with this cannon would be awesome, those creeps will be blinded by the ten foot muzzle flash, choked half to death by the smoke (imagine lighting off 170 grains of black in a 12 foot bedroom), deaf as a post from the noise of it, just need to watch out you proly set fire to the house in the process

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Edward View Post
    You haven"t built inlines then , as mine (ALL) get removed and like the OP showed match's what the manufactures say (not suggest) for long rifles you are certainly correct/Ed
    I am curious here ----so I hear you guys are allowed to have an 11inch barrel pistol but if you cut a shotgun down to the same length you go to jail ?? makes no sense but that dont have any effect on legislators.........

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by indian joe View Post
    I am curious here ----so I hear you guys are allowed to have an 11inch barrel pistol but if you cut a shotgun down to the same length you go to jail ?? makes no sense but that dont have any effect on legislators.........
    Cause in most states BP guns are not considered firearms ! And that's a good thing/Ed

Boolit Bub
    If it is manufactured as a pistol length it is legal in any caliber or gauge even modern pistol or rifle calibers but if manufactured as long gun must be at lest 18 inches barrel if cut shorter it becomes illegal

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast