Snyders JerkyInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
WidenersLoad DataLee PrecisionRepackbox
RotoMetals2 Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: In your opinion

Boolit Buddy

In your opinion

Is as Colt Gold Cup National Match worth the additional $500 over the price of a Kimber Target ll?

Boolit Buddy
    A new Colt Gold Cup or an older one pre-series 80?

That depends on you. Personally, I would prefer the Kimber. Gold Cups bite my hand.

Boolit Master
    What do you want it for? If shooting bullseye and it is an older Gold Cup NM then I might be tempted by the older gun. But, modern mfg by companies like Kimber give equal or better accuracy out of the box.

Boolit Buddy
    Series 70 NIB. Use for IDPA

Boolit Grand Master
    With the current quality of Kimber, I would probably pick that for the kind of heavy use you mention. You would be paying quite a premium for the highly sought after Colt, but would quickly “shoot away” much of that enhanced value. If it will be heavily used as a shooter, the Kimber will be likely to hold up just as well as the Colt, but lose value (due to wear and tear) more slowly. Also, altering either gun to enhance performance is an issue. Doing work on a Kimber will enhance the value somewhat while alterations to a NIB 70 Series Gold Cup will quickly drag its value down.

All of that being said, if you are just going to shoot occasionally and take great care of your guns, the Colt will always be easy to sell as a high grade shooter. How much do you plan to compete? I just hate to pay a premium for a NOS gun and then put a lot of wear and tear on it. JMHO, it’s your money and your choice.

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Given the parameters, I agree with the Frog. However, there are other pistols I would buy before I bought either the Gold Cup or Kimber for Bullseye use.
    Phil

Boolit Grand Master
    IMO the Colt Gold Cup was always overrated. I would go with the Kimber (which I have and shoots very well). If I was as capable as I was decades ago, I would invest in a Clark or Baer.
    Don Verna

Accuracy Guarantee of 5-shots, 25-yards, 1-inch group or less.Super Match II MSRP:
    $2,889.00

How about the Kimber Target ll accuracy ?

A 1970s Colt Gold Cup 45 will do 3" @ 50 yards. The serial number must start with "N70" like- N70466XX, when the N70 was moved to the back on the serial number, accuracy and fitting not so good.

There were 2 series 70s, old and the new junk.

Banned

Gold cup hands down! Anyone who get “bit” by a 1911 isn’t holding it correctly!

Boolit Grand Master
    Kimber for shooting.

Colt has been living off the recollection of their former greatness for nearly fifty years, when they weren't selling their soul to the Clinton's for an Army contract. Some Gold Cups might have held 3 inches at 50 yards, but that is not my recollection on the average. Back in the 70's, somebody had to work your gun over to achieve that level of accuracy with reliable feeding. My bullseye gun had been accurized by George Mathews for the fellow I bought it from.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Buddy

Somewhere between the Red and the Rio Grande
    In my opinion it's not worth the difference. I have owned both, I still have the Kimber,. Just my humble opinion.
    Keep your powder dry and watch your six !!

Boolit Master

A gun full of forged and bar stock parts versus one full of MIM.

I'd take the Colt all day long.
    NRA Benefactor.

Quote Originally Posted by smithnframe View Post
    Gold cup hands down! Anyone who get “bit” by a 1911 isn’t holding it correctly!
    You would know?

Boolit Bub
    I was lucky to be able to get a Gold Cup series 70 National Match in 1979. I also have had 3 Kimbers. In now days you can’t get the same quality on a GC. With the Kimber you get money’s worth. I get the same accuracy with all of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Burnt Fingers View Post
    A gun full of forged and bar stock parts versus one full of MIM.

I'd take the Colt all day long.
    I've been shooting a Kimber since the mid-1990s. Wore out the barrel bushing and had a Briley Spherical bushing fitted. Replaced the plunger tube once also. Par for the 1911 course. No MIM parts failures whatsoever in many ten-thousands of shots fired.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    My BIL owns both and says that the Kimber is far superior for accuracy in stock form. Once you start modding the gun all bets are off, of course. He has some very nice Colts in his collection too.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by rintinglen View Post
    Kimber for shooting.

Colt has been living off the recollection of their former greatness for nearly fifty years, when they weren't selling their soul to the Clinton's for an Army contract. Some Gold Cups might have held 3 inches at 50 yards, but that is not my recollection on the average. Back in the 70's, somebody had to work your gun over to achieve that level of accuracy with reliable feeding. My bullseye gun had been accurized by George Mathews for the fellow I bought it from.
    Your memory is sound. Many accuracy claims are based on 5 shot groups. I know the Clarks were tested for 10 shot groups and they would get it done. I saw three that held under 3" at 50 yards for 50 shots (Ransom rest groups). But those were 70's guns....maybe the current crop are different.
    Don Verna

Buy a new gun with a life time warrenty & accuracy guarantee. Not all guns leave the factory in perfect condition.

Colt has been bankrupt so many times, i lost count in my 76 Years. CZ now.

Boolit Buddy
    I have owned both. A series 70 Colt and a Kimber Target Eclipse II. Sold the Colt and use the Kimber for Bullseye competition. The Kimber has over 60,000 rounds thru it had to replace the barrel, bushing extractor and firing pin. Mim parts still going strong. Kimber hands down.
    Last edited by Pete44mag; 06-03-2021 at 10:08 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast