Inline FabricationLee PrecisionRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Load DataWidenersReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Snyders Jerky Repackbox

Thread: T/C Contender G1 44magnum 10" Barrel Questions

T/C Contender G1 44magnum 10" Barrel Questions

Hey Gang,
    I just purchased a 10" 44 Magnum Hot-shot heavy barrel (non-octogon), less the hot-shot barrel end, which now completes my .357 and .41 magnum collection. I was wondering if T/C or anyone made a thread protector or better yet, a screw in compensator, or adapter to screw on a compensator to shoot lead and jacketed bullets. Seems to me the threads would get dirty/damaged shooting lead especially. I would like to hear anyone that has experience shooting this barrel with the open threads, maybe I need not worry about it but am curious since it's my first experience with this type of barrel. As always your replies are greatly appreciated. Thanks
    When Obama called the SEALS, they got bin Laden, when the SEALS called Obama, they got left behind.....remember Benghazi!

Boolit Master

I have a 44 Hot Shot barrel that I have shot cast loads in.
    It did not hurt the threads.
    I have not shot many cast bullets through as I have a regular 44 mag barrel.
    It is typical for the choke and choke wrench to get separated/lost from the Hot shot barrel.

Boolit Master
    I have one, and also have shot cast thru it with no Thread damage or fouling... But, Sure would be neat to have a Screw In Compensator..
    Maybe someone is listening!!!!!

Boolit Master
    I have a 45 Long Colt/410 10" with the screw in compensators. I have not shot it with any of them screwed in. Some are choked pretty close. No wish to borrow trouble.
    Britons shall never be slaves.

I'm wondering if I made a mistake buying this barrel. I was under the impression all you had to do was take off the Hotshot end piece and use it like a regular 44Mag barrel, but not sure now. I slugged the chamber yesterday and noticed it has a very long throat, maybe to accommodate for the hotshot round, like the hotshot round is longer but I'm not sure. This may cause too much bleed off and inconsistency in each round when fired. Anyone notice a loss in accuracy shooting just lead or jacketed bullets? would I be better off getting a regular 44mag barrel?
    When Obama called the SEALS, they got bin Laden, when the SEALS called Obama, they got left behind.....remember Benghazi!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobbler View Post
    I'm wondering if I made a mistake buying this barrel. I was under the impression all you had to do was take off the Hotshot end piece and use it like a regular 44Mag barrel, but not sure now. I slugged the chamber yesterday and noticed it has a very long throat, maybe to accommodate for the hotshot round, like the hotshot round is longer but I'm not sure. This may cause too much bleed off and inconsistency in each round when fired. Anyone notice a loss in accuracy shooting just lead or jacketed bullets? would I be better off getting a regular 44mag barrel?
    Everything is a tradeoff... the original T.C. hot shot rounds were very long indeed... think two Speer shot capsules one atop the other... In fact I drill one out, and glue it under another to approximate the T.C. loading....
    While not up to the accuracy of my original octagon barrel... it is heftier..

Boolit Buddy
    I assume you are talking about the earlier octagon barrels with the external choke (with the barrel threaded internally for the choke). Both of the ones I have/had were factory ported just in front of the choke. I assume this was as much for safety as for recoil in case you shot a solid bullet with the choke still installed then the ports would vent the over pressure and not blow the choke out.
    I still have one of the two barrels I bought @ local gun shows and sold the other (with older hard opening frame) to a friend who was going bear hunting in Maine. First time he shot his (without choke) using 240 grain GFI soft nosed jacketed bullets he got groups of about an inch @ 50 yards resting using the factory sights! Not bad for first time Contender shooter.

Okay, I shot for groups the other day and had great results from 180g to 240g, both lead and jacketed. I was only at 25yds to sight in the 2x Burris, then shoot to group. All groups were within 1", all my hand loads from my 29-2 S&W 6-1/2". Next venture is 50yds then 100yds for the real test. So for now I feel much better. BTW- I used linotype to "slug" the chamber and it does have a long throat. So technically with the front relief and threads and long throat my " 10" " is really like 8-1/2" or so. Since I can shoot it now with confidence I think I'll still look around for a true 10" barrel, but won't be in a hurry. I may look for a choke to duplicate some dimensions to have a machinist friend make an adapter to screw in the barrel then screw on either a linear compensator or a brake. Open to thoughts on this. Thanks guys!

The part that screws in the end is not a choke. It is a shredder. It shreds the plastic capsule. A local gun shop has a bunch of the capsules.
    Ky State Director IHMSA
    Hunter Ed Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Boolit Master

I kinda think that you would have been better off with a standard 44 barrel not the hot shot but see how it shoots first if not too your liking trade it off
    kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies

Quote Originally Posted by 35isit View Post
    The part that screws in the end is not a choke. It is a shredder. It shreds the plastic capsule. A local gun shop has a bunch of the capsules.
    Thanks, you're the first person to call it properly, everyone and their brother calls it a choke so I was just running with it.

Quote Originally Posted by LUCKYDAWG13 View Post
    I kinda think that you would have been better off with a standard 44 barrel not the hot shot but see how it shoots first if not too your liking trade it off
    I kinda think you're right, but like I stated I'll shoot it at distance here soon and see what happens. If it doesn't perform well then off it goes. Thanks

Boolit Master

I had a 45 / 410 didn't shoot the 45 vary well i do have a 10" 44 magnum round barrel it shoots Awesome
    kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies