WidenersLee PrecisionRepackboxLoad Data
Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Fast casters, who’s got hot hands?

Just did a session yesterday. In 1 hour of casting i was able to produce 318 usable boolits and about 40 return to melting pot (Base didn't fill in properly). Using a MP 359-125 4 cav mold.
    Last edited by Helka; 07-16-2021 at 09:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 358429 View Post
    If you cast while you are driving, your hands are hotter than mine!

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
    And his lap too!

Quote Originally Posted by Helka View Post
    Just did a session yesterday. In 1 hour of casting i was able to produce 318 usable boolits and about 40 return to melting pot (Base didn't fill in properly). Using a MP 359-125 4 cav mold.
    How you like that mould?

Quote Originally Posted by LAH View Post
    How you like that mould?
    Being a new caster my first batch were decent but the lead wasn’t hot enough(HP wasn’t filling out enough). The second time the lead was hot enough but mold wasn’t. The 3rd and subsequent batches have been spot on as I have a good lead temp and make sure my mold is very hot. I’m getting nice and shiny boolits. I know frosted is sought after but I’m happy with my results. In fact I was just at the range trying them out for the first time and had about a 4” grouping out of my shadow 2 at 25 yards. (My outdoor range doesn’t have anything closer)

I prefer the heavy brass over my Lee aluminum mold.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know frosted is sought after but I’m happy with my results.
    Nice and shiny is what you are looking for. Frosty means you are starting to get too hot.
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

Boolit Master
    Likely it's just me and my particular casting technique, but my aluminum MP 8 bangers cast best with the fewest culls when there's a light matte frost. Shiny gets me wrinkles (95-3-2 alloy at 720°).

True that I'm on the edge of too hot with frosty undersized casts, and have to occasionally pause or open the blocks for extra cooling. I welcome the break, though, and will still call it a day after 3K or so, whether it takes 3 hours or "just" 2 1/2.
    Last edited by kevin c; 07-25-2021 at 09:16 PM.

Being a new caster my first batch were decent but the lead wasn’t hot enough(HP wasn’t filling out enough). The second time the lead was hot enough but mold wasn’t. The 3rd and subsequent batches have been spot on as I have a good lead temp and make sure my mold is very hot. I’m getting nice and shiny boolits. I know frosted is sought after but I’m happy with my results. In fact I was just at the range trying them out for the first time and had about a 4” grouping out of my shadow 2 at 25 yards. (My outdoor range doesn’t have anything closer)

I prefer the heavy brass over my Lee aluminum mold.

How's the Shadow 2? I have a PreB 75.

Northern Virginia, where the freeway does roam.
    Quote Originally Posted by kevin c View Post
    Likely it's just me and my particular casting technique, but my aluminum MP 8 bangers cast best with the fewest culls when there's a light matte frost. Shiny gets me wrinkles (95-3-2 alloy at 720°).

True that I'm on the edge of too hot with frosty undersized casts, and have to occasionally pause or open the blocks for extra cooling. I welcome the break, though, and will still call it a day after 3K or so, whether it takes 3 hours or "just" 2 1/2.
    What kind of bullets are you casting? 3000 is a fantastic humblebrag

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

How's the Shadow 2? I have a PreB 75.
    All I can say is I will never sell it! It’s laser accurate

Boolit Master
    How you like that mould?
    I like the 359-125 mp very much. use it in 38spl, 357 mag and sized down in 9mm. one of my favorite loads in 38spl

Quote Originally Posted by farmbif View Post
    I like the 359-125 mp very much. use it in 38spl, 357 mag and sized down in 9mm. one of my favorite loads in 38spl
    I don’t know if it’s me but my shadow 2 shoots the regular HP better then the penta ones.

Well, I'm glad to see that it's not just me who has had enough after 1.5-2 hours of casting bullets. In 2 sessions I cast 1800ish (counted by weight). With one MP 8 cavity 9mm mould there's only so fast that I can move. And my butt is dragging after a session. Maybe that because I cast outdoors and the weather always seems to change on me. It starts out just beautiful, low humidity and low 70s, but the humidity increases and that always sucks the starch out of me. I like that I have very few culls.

edit follows: I've been thinking about this some more...

The mould gets a lot of heat in it with each pour and once it's hot that heat needs to be removed once in awhile, that slows things down. With 2 moulds I could maybe make more in the same time. Except I'm not in a race. I have enough to do with just the one mould.
    Last edited by BJK; 08-23-2021 at 12:11 AM.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234