Inline FabricationRotoMetals2RepackboxReloading Everything
Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
Wideners Load Data

Thread: Ballisti Cast machine molds (H&G) casting way low on weight

Boolit Bub

Ballisti Cast machine molds (H&G) casting way low on weight

So I have a .40 180GR mold set that was cut by ballisti cast. On the molds it says 359bb so it does cross reference a H&G .40 180gr Bullet. But when I cast with 92-6-2 lead alloy I am getting 161-163gr. Any idea why this could be?

Boolit Buddy
    Does it still have a bevel base? Maybe machined down to remove it?
    "EXPERT= Ex is a has been, spurt is a drip under pressure" Unknown

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by shell70634 View Post
    Does it still have a bevel base? Maybe machined down to remove it?
    It does yes by according to the H&G site it’s a 180gr with the BB

Boolit Grand Master

Ballisti Cast mould weights are based on boolits cast from Clip On Wheel Weight alloy of approx.
    composition of ... 95.25 - 4.0 - 0.5 + trace amounts ( .14 arsenic & .05 copper).

Your alloy of .... 92 - 6 - 2 will contain less lead , more tin and thus cast lighter boolits .
    If you want a heavier boolit ...add some lead to your mix and cut back on the tin ... anything over 1% is really wasted

For 9mm , 38 Super , 38 special +P , 357 Magnum , 41 Magnum and 45 acp ... I use an alloy of COWW and scrap soft lead mixed 50-50 . This has a BHN of 8 - 9 .
    I have discovered hard boolits , in handguns , aren't necessary or the best way to go .
    For decades I cast with straight COWW metal ... the 50-50 mix actually makes a more accurate bullet ...learned the hard way ...fit is much more important than hardness .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Buddy
    Greetings,

Ballisti-Cast renumbered their moulds by adding 600 to the H&G mould number.

An H&G 501 became a Ballisti-Cast 1101 (501+600).

Can you post a photo showing the Ballisti-Cast stamping on the side of the blocks.

A 359BB would be 959BB in Ballisti-Cast numbering.

The old H&G mould chart show a 359 (155 grain) and a 359BB (180 grain).

Cheers,

Dave

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by fc60 View Post
    Greetings,

Ballisti-Cast renumbered their moulds by adding 600 to the H&G mould number.

An H&G 501 became a Ballisti-Cast 1101 (501+600).

Can you post a photo showing the Ballisti-Cast stamping on the side of the blocks.

A 359BB would be 959BB in Ballisti-Cast numbering.

The old H&G mould chart show a 359 (155 grain) and a 359BB (180 grain).

Cheers,

Dave
    Hello and thanks for your response. Yes, it is 959BB on the side of the mold. I also have the 100gr 380 molds and they cast just under the 100gr

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by gwpercle View Post
    Ballisti Cast mould weights are based on boolits cast from Clip On Wheel Weight alloy of approx.
    composition of ... 95.25 - 4.0 - 0.5 + trace amounts ( .14 arsenic & .05 copper).

Your alloy of .... 92 - 6 - 2 will contain less lead , more tin and thus cast lighter boolits .
    If you want a heavier boolit ...add some lead to your mix and cut back on the tin ... anything over 1% is really wasted

For 9mm , 38 Super , 38 special +P , 357 Magnum , 41 Magnum and 45 acp ... I use an alloy of COWW and scrap soft lead mixed 50-50 . This has a BHN of 8 - 9 .
    I have discovered hard boolits , in handguns , aren't necessary or the best way to go .
    For decades I cast with straight COWW metal ... the 50-50 mix actually makes a more accurate bullet ...learned the hard way ...fit is much more important than hardness .
    Gary
    What’s weird is some of my molds that are also ballisti cast molds are very close to the weight they should be... like my 100gr 380 weights 98-99 or so. But these .40 bullets are almost 20 grains under