Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2WidenersReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
Repackbox Lee Precision

Thread: I think I made a mistake!

Boolit Buddy

I think I made a mistake!

I was loading some .38 spcl 158 gr, and wanted to try some different powders, I had a small amount of H-4227 left over and found a load for the .38 that looked good and fast in Lyman's book. However I was able to check it out using P-Max Internal Ballistics program and instead of 950 fps,like Lyman says, P-Max thought it would shoot about 750 fps with only ~60% burned in the barrel!

Looks like I should have used it in the .44 with 200 gr boolets. I used it all up so won't make the same mistake again.

Boolit Buddy
    Lyman 45th (1970) lists IMR 4227 for 112gr, 141gr, 158gr, 168gr, and 195gr cast bullets in 38 Special. Bullet 358311 158gr with #2 alloy has start load of 7.0 for 504fps and max of 9.5gr for 755fps from a S&W Model 14 6". Must have thought it was at least usable to list for all those bullet weights but even back then there were much better choices available. What barrel length did Lyman show 950fps out of?

Boolit Master

imr 4227 vs h4227 difference?

Boolit Master

Six years ago I found a 9 mm load listed for IMR 4227, IIRC it was 6. something grains max. Whatever the weight it was pretty near a compressed load. Didn’t work out at all even through a 6” barrel. Might have worked in a 10 to 16” carbine.
    Can’t see where it’d work in a 38 special revolver load either.

Boolit Grand Master

I don't have hardly any faith in any of the calculators. I've not had that much luck with 4227 in reduced pressure loadings, which is what 38 special is. Get it up north of 35,000 psi, and it seems to work much better.

No harm in trying it though. It will go bang. Worst that happens is you don't like the load, and don't load it again.

Boolit Buddy
    I went to Home Depot and got some o-rings to fix my bullet puller today, old o-ring wore out. Decided to just pull the 125 and 158 jacketed I had loaded with H-4227 and salvage the powder. I didn't want to shoot pricey 125 HPs at 750 fps as that is just a waste. I'll reload with a +p load of Unique. I may even use the new Unique I bought the other day rather than the Old Unique that I had been using.

Pulling 60 bullets is a pain but at today's price of jacketed, I've got the time and the motivation to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Krag 1901 View Post
    I went to Home Depot and got some o-rings to fix my bullet puller today, old o-ring wore out. .
    It's a lot handier to use a single stage press's shell holder.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Winger Ed. View Post
    It's a lot handier to use a single stage press's shell holder.
    ^^^This. No need to mess with o-rings and she’ll holder works even with rebated cases (like 50 Beo).

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks for the tip. I'll try that tomorrow. The real pain is the powder gets into the threads of the holder and binds the threads on the plastic!

Boolit Master
    2400 is a lot better and cleaner than 4227 in 38 special if using a mag powder. Some loads call for a mag primer with 4227. It's flakey when loaded down.

Boolit Buddy
    I'll save the 2400 for my Krag and cast boolets. I had a problem with my Python and took it down to check it. The locking bolt was all gummed up with unburnt 2400! I use ~14 gr and 158 gr boolets for a few years. The 2400 didn't seem to burn all that well with lead.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Krag 1901 View Post
    I'll save the 2400 for my Krag and cast boolets. I had a problem with my Python and took it down to check it. The locking bolt was all gummed up with unburnt 2400! I use ~14 gr and 158 gr boolets for a few years. The 2400 didn't seem to burn all that well with lead.
    Try blue dot. It isn't ideal for poof loads, but it should be the ideal powder for getting the most velocity from 38 special. 800x might be even better.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Soundguy View Post
    imr 4227 vs h4227 difference?
    So little that they only make the one now.

Boolit Buddy
    Slowly pulling the H-4227 loads and saving the powder for .44 mag loads. Not sure I'd ever buy 4227 again, but will try some .44 M loads to see how it handles.

I'll reload with 5.5-6.0 gr Unique for some +P loads in the .38's, using the fresh Unique I just bought.