Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingRepackbox
Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationWideners
Snyders Jerky Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Simple jacket making dies and press

Boolit Bub
    Thanks for that Copperman. Shame about Taipan. Only really leaves Woodleigh and Dyer (now Optimus) here in Aus. The 1" strip is a bit too narrow. I'm cutting 1" discs at the moment to get a 1.33" jacket in 6.5mm. The goal is to get a consistent 1.25"ish jacket for a 115-120 grain flat base with a 7.5 ogive. So far I've been annealing sheet and guillotining into 30mm wide strip.

Boolit Mold
    Andrew six point five. I too want to make jackets but I'm just starting. what references should I look for. You mentioned the ironing rate and the step down percentage. Where can I go to learn things like that? I have access to a full machine shop with CNC, EDM, CMM. Etc

Boolit Bub
    Hi ShaneJ45. I can assure you that there is no place to go to learn about jacket making. Read as much as you can online on deep drawing especially copper alloys. But first create in your head a specification of what you want to achieve. This determines how much time and money you want to throw at this. I started simply by experimenting and prototyping with readily available tools and materials to see what happens. That's why my dies and press look nothing like what's commercially available. I just came at it with a different mindset. In the end the CNC machining work and final die designs are a refinement of my first experiments. There are a few good posts on here on by others that are having a go. I loved reading KTN and Zbench posts. Start with reading deep drawing techniques and the design guidelines. There's heaps on the web. The issues of step down and ironing are well documented. You then have to create a detailed specification for your calibre and length of jacket and the preceding drawn cups and jackets. Mine was sketched out at first but proved invaluable later on, attached is a scan. This information was continually added to and updated on CAD. Also most if it is metric!! Also attached is a simple die profile I found on the web. Although its for a big ferrous part, the profile can be adapted and scaled. This formed the basis for my die designs. The main thing is to have a go and enjoy the rideClick image for larger version. 

Name:	Jacket notes.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	25.1 KB 
ID:	289117Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1516-1439-mr-1980-5373-MR-2016-0003-gf04.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	87.8 KB 
ID:	289118

Boolit Bub
    Here are some of my die drawings as a reference

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cup Die.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	27.4 KB 
ID:	289119
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Final draw die.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	31.1 KB 
ID:	289121
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Final draw die.jpg  
    Last edited by andrew_six_point_five; 09-23-2021 at 06:04 PM.

Boolit Master

Thank you for posting I have been thinking on the same thing does the 2 ton press do well for you?
    When I think back on all the **** I learned in high school it's a wonder I can think at all ! And then my lack of education hasn't hurt me none I can read the writing on the wall.

Boolit Bub
    Hi Firefly, yes the 2 ton press works just fine. I added a 2 foot bar instead the one supplied. All the force needed for cupping to final draw. The blanking though requires either higher tonnage or a modified punch with shear angle to reduce the force needed.

Boolit Master

Thank you I was looking at presses Might go 3 ton Have considered making a Hydraulic press but cycle time would be slow with parts I can afford!
    I saw a 3 ton press for $279 might get one in November .
    When I think back on all the **** I learned in high school it's a wonder I can think at all ! And then my lack of education hasn't hurt me none I can read the writing on the wall.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by firefly1957 View Post
    Thank you I was looking at presses Might go 3 ton Have considered making a Hydraulic press but cycle time would be slow with parts I can afford!
    I saw a 3 ton press for $279 might get one in November .
    You could try air power if you're concerned with speed. I'm currently looking for a local shop to machine the CB swage press, and adding an air cylinder is a modification I'm considering jumping into later on.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12