Inline FabricationLee PrecisionRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
WidenersLoad DataTitan ReloadingRepackbox
Reloading Everything Snyders Jerky

Thread: Just broke another SDB

Boolit Master

Just broke another SDB

I was loading 9mm went to change to 10mm and the 9mm would not come out. It has loaded thousands of rounds Dillon said send it back. Removed it from the bench and found a crack in the bottom of the handle so it is time for a overhaul.

Boolit Master
    I broke my handle on my SDB several years ago. Dillon just sent me another handle. The new handle was of an upgraded design. Much beefier. Apparently others had the handle break at the same place also, so it was reengineered. I know Dillon will do a great job on your rebuild. Your press will look brand new when you get it back.

Boolit Master
    Quit letting your pet gorilla load with it.
    QUIS CUSTODIET IPSOS CUSTODES?

Boolit Master
    $40 shipping to Dillion will get a new press or a rebuilt press. Had press that was under salt water for about a week that they replaced as it was rusted in one position.. Can't beat their customer service!!!

That’s why we can never have nice things.

Boolit Master
    Many years ago, a friend and I went in halfies on an SDB in 45 acp for IPSC. We kept it at my house, because he lived in an apartment. I kept all the fired primers in a coffee can. By time I upgraded to a 550 and a P14 I had a 3 lb can full.
    just sayin...

Boolit Master
    I have reloaded well over 200,000 pistol rounds in various calibers on my SDB that's going on 25+ years old. Over that time Dillon has replaced every part of the press except the ram and dies, and some parts more than once, and with upgrades at no charge.

The frame is a zinc alloy and I think the handle is the same, so maybe it's not a suprise that they might develop metal fatigue and fail over time (I think I'm on my third handle and frame, with the latter due to go in for a small crack in a non critical area that developed right before the pandemic shutdown knocked everything sideways. NP, as ammo tolerances are still tight and I drilled out the end of the crack so it hasn't propagated). The lifetime warrantee covers that.

Spelling edit
    Last edited by kevin c; 06-04-2021 at 09:15 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

I’ve broken a handle, cracked the rear bolt tang off the frame and pulled a threaded insert out of the frame common to the tool head. Dillon sent me a new handle, I have a distributor clamp off a 67 Tempest replacing the rear bolt and I epoxied a new brass insert in for the tool head. It’s still on the bench loading today.

Dillon did give me an RMA number back in 2008 when the frame tang broke. I may use it someday…

”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Boolit Master
    Fed-Ex dropped my SDB off today rebuilt by Dillon. It was bought late 80's early 90's and the did several updates on it before sending it back. Will remount it tomorrow and see if I can get it running 300-400 rounds per hour. Don't know if I can pull the handle fast enough or that many times in an hour.

Boolit Grand Master

400 an hour is one pull every 9 seconds. A pull every 6 seconds is a nice easy pace and leaves 20 minutes to refill the primer feed, empty the collection bin, check a powder throw, stretch your back and scratch your nose.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by warren5421 View Post
    Fed-Ex dropped my SDB off today rebuilt by Dillon. It was bought late 80's early 90's and the did several updates on it before sending it back. Will remount it tomorrow and see if I can get it running 300-400 rounds per hour. Don't know if I can pull the handle fast enough or that many times in an hour.
    The greatest mistake a Dillon owner can make is trying to go to fast. Yep! I did it when I first started on my first Dillon.