MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyWidenersLoad Data
Inline FabricationLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Titan Reloading Repackbox

Thread: Winchester Winder Musket Project

Boolit Bub

Winchester Winder Musket Project

A before and after pic..It was just a rough barreled action, bad bore..No wood..I spent alot of time draw filing, cleaning up the metal. Luckily I found a complete set of Winder wood for it.

I relined it to 17 HM2..I figured if all collector value was gone already..That was a good option..I like the Mach 2 round alot.

I found a repro Malcom used Scope..Buddy gave me the rear Unertyl Scope base..

I stamped a little copper tag to 17 HM2 after milling the old 22 caliber markings off..

The receiver was made in 1910 I believe..Very accurate little bugger..

For now it is staying in the polished white..Like a old 1868 Springfield Musket..I kinda like it that way..

Thanks for letting me post it here..

Last edited by Carbineone; 06-01-2021 at 06:14 PM.

Boolit Master
    Great looking rifle, all the way around. How do you like the Malcom scope, thinking about putting a couple on some of my single shots. You did a great job on the metal work.

Boolit Bub
    I like the 6X Malcom..It is not a large tube of course..But very nice clear glass though..I bought it lightly used..New they are somewhat high priced..Well used too,LOL

The rear mount that came with mine was OK..But no way near the quality of the J Unertyl one..

You do not know how happy I was my buddy at his Gun Store had the Unertyl just lying around. It is really heads above the one that came with it..The Unertyl has micrometer adjustment and positive clicks..The less than stellar original did not..It just looked and felt cheap..Not so with the Unertyl.

So if you decide to drop the 350.00 or so on the Malcom..I would add in for some decent rings/mounts..

I also had to drill and tap the barrel for the bases..But that was easy on the Bridgeport Mill..

Thanks very much for the kind compliment..
    Last edited by Carbineone; 06-01-2021 at 08:51 PM.

Boolit Master
    High and low walls are my favorite single shots. Only have a low wall now. Bore is toast so will be sending it out to get relined to 32-20. Very nice high wall. Frank

Boolit Master
    it rely MORPHED into a beauty.

Boolit Bub
    Thank You

Samari..What is yours currently chambered in?

I am more of a Marlin than Winchester guy..But I do like this Musket quite a lot..I have more in it than it is likely worth to anyone else..But it just kept snowballing further down the rabbit hole as I went along,LOL

Boolit Grand Master
    Wow. What a tremendous job you did. Looks great.

Boolit Master
    I like the armory bright finish on it.

Nicely done! Did you find semi inletted stocks, or build them from scratch? I like the bare metal finish also. Hope it holds up well to handling and use.

Boolit Bub
    Thanks very much..I keep wax on it and it has not shown any signs of any rusting at all..I kinda like the bright finish too.

I was actually very fortunate to find a complete original set of wood and all metal included..Guy took it off years ago from a musket he owned and put custom wood on it..I did not think I would ever find the wood..Let alone the complete set with all the metal hardware in one place, and in very good condition..

Paid a pretty good amount for it..But it was likely my only shot at ever finding a set..Let alone complete in one place....

Was lucky too, I found it very quickly..I found the set of wood on GB like 5 days after I bought and started the project..Kinda like it was meant to be,LOL Timing was just right..

I know another fella on another Forum I frequent, has been looking for a forearm piece for a long time for his..Someone hacked his off to "sporter" it..
    Last edited by Carbineone; 06-02-2021 at 08:31 PM.

Boolit Grand Master
    My first “custom built” single shot was a Winchester that my grand uncle owned from my earliest memory. It is a Third Model (low wall) that he rescued from going to the smelter. It had a bowed barrel and the butt stock and receiver sight were missing. He straightened the barrel (sort of), shortened the fore end to shorter length and mounted a V-notch sight on top of the receiver.

When I inherited it, I felt like it deserved better, so I had an old gunsmith who loved single shots fit it with a Shilen barrel, a copy of a Special Sporter stock, and blocks for a Lyman Target Spot. 25 years later the stock is still unfinished and there’s no blue on the metal parts, but it does shoot pretty well. That got me started down the long trail to ASSRA and the Schuetzen game.

BTW, I may still have a full length fore end in the basement, but I’ll have to look for it in daylight. If you’re interested, drop me a PM some time tomorrow after I’ve had time to look and see if I still have one.

Froggie
    Last edited by Green Frog; 06-02-2021 at 10:12 PM.
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Master
    Carbineone, originally a #1 tapered octagon barrel in 25-20 single shot, not the 25wcf used in the 1892 Winchester lever action. Gotta have my roof redone as after 25 years it's at the end of it's life span for the shingles. That and redoing leaders and gutters. Last bad storm tore off the tabs on the shingles so no sense trying to do a patch job at this point. Stuff never stops happening. Frank

Boolit Bub
    Thanks Frog..I sent a PM hopefully.

I know how some projects get sidetracked..I have a few of those laying around myself..

I really have enjoyed doing Firearms projects for a lot of years..It is fun just searching for the next one..It used to be in the old days projects were laying in boxes all over at the Gun Shows..But they are getting far between now..Most get parted now with the advent of the Internet it seems..More profitable to part them out now..Kinda sad, but I guess we need parts too bring em back again.

It is not even work to me,just fun.. And they are not done to profit monetarily..It is just something I enjoy doing. And I like shooting the old ones..The new plastic formed Firearms do nothing for me..I like real wood and steel..

Boolit Bub
    Frog did you get a PM from me? Thanks

Boolit Grand Master
    I finally found the FL fore end today along with a sort of funky barrel band. Still no nose cap. See PM.

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Bub
    Got the PM and email returned..Thanks