Lee PrecisionWidenersLoad DataInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxTitan Reloading
Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Faulty Powder Measure

Boolit Master
    I never trust digital stuff too much especially the inexpensive stuff, how many generations of digital powder measures have lyman and RCBS been through?

Boolit Grand Master
    Use whatever does the job for you.

Most of my reloads are thrown charges so I only use a scale to dial in the powder measure. I have "check weights" made from air gun pellets and coins to check the electronic scale. Mine is not battery powdered. Being a bit off is nothing to worry about anyway. .2 grains is not going to matter in my world.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master

Digital scales are handy to speed things up. As long as you have a good beam scale to calibrate your confidence in the electronic. All my beam powder pans are weighed on the beam. I check the pan on the digital for the same weight. I use a marker pen to write the weight on the bottom of each pan. That way, I get a visual confirmation every time I set the empty pan on the electronics. Plus the observing a tray full of powdered cases with a flashlight for uniform fill.
    I have never sat down and switched on an electronic scale and started weighing without other confirmations. Keep the batteries fresh, and don't have over head fans blowing on you etc. I set all my scales mechanical and electronic on a 1/2" X 10"x10" smooth marble slab for a solid platform also to help remove variables etc

No matter how expensive or good an electronic digital scale is, it is suspect. Almost all have deviations when first turned on. I've used them for other purposes over the years, but I'll not buy one for use in reloading. They will lie, even after you calibrate. All of them.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    I don't trust them, either. I have a MyWeigh GemPro 500 that supposedly will weigh stuff down to the nearest yoctogram, but for anything that matters (like gunpowder) I always and only use my RCBS 10 • 10.

Boolit Master

I run a rcbs chargemaster light. I let it warm up.. Calibrate. I don't run fans..ac or fluorescent lights. I periodically will check charges on an rcbs 505 and 502. Havn't found a problem yet.

Boolit Mold
    Sounds like you might have some RFI going on (radio frequency interference) check for electronic devices too close to your scale. Wireless speaker, etc, LED lights can cause trouble. Chances of 3 scales wigging out are slim.

Boolit Master
    I have little trust in electronics, old analog beam scales have never let me down

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by farmbif View Post
    I have little trust in electronics, old analog beam scales have never let me down
    Ditto.

Most of my working life was spent repairing/calibrating precision electronic test equipment in the space program. I had very good job security for a looong time because that electric stuff just isn't reliable OR highly accurate, especially so for cheaply made consumer grade "throw-away" instruments. I ONLY use beams to weigh powder, digitals are for weighing bullets and cases.

Mechanical scales are driven by gravity and unless they are physically damaged by user carelessness, they will be dead on until the end of time.

Anyone saying a magnetic dampened) balance scale is slower than a digital isn't using their balance correctly.

Digitals are touchy about being level in two planes. If a beam scale just looks level (and is properly zeroed) then it's as level as it needs to be and, unlike a cheep digital anything, it will not drift with time, nearby magnetic fields, line voltage or ambient temperature.

Boolit Grand Master

I'm not "old school" or anti-technology but with my experiences, digital scales and digital measuring tools see very little use on my bench. Life long machinist/mechanic and I mostly use dial calipers, balance beam scales and vernier micrometers. Tried digital calipers, 3 died an early death. Tried digital scales, 2 went crazy and soon died, use one now for weighing bullets, but check weights against my RCBS 505. Tried shutting off all lighting, stereo, cell phone and every thing electrical powered. Used fresh batteries and when applicable, household power. It must be my "magnetic personality" that messes up digital scales...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Grand Master

If the RCBS 5-0-5 isn't broke .... I keep on keeping on with it !

I only got the magnetic dampened 5-0-5 because some creep stole my Redding #1 with the oil dampening reservoir you had to keep filled with 3-N-1 oil ... talk about messy ... hated to buy a new scale but the triple poise beam and magnetic dampening sure is sweet .

Electronic Scales ... I probably wouldn't be able to work it ... electronic stuff doesn't like me .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master
    I have trust issues with electronic scales . In the seafood business for 40 years I have seen electronic scales do crazy things .

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by toallmy View Post
    I have trust issues with electronic scales . In the seafood business for 40 years I have seen electronic scales do crazy things .
    Roger that.

Commercial scales are built rugged and costly and most states have regulations requiring scheduled accuracy checks by licensed professionals. Consumer grade scales are built flimsy and cheep and no one EVER stops by to check their accuracy. (No reloading scale at any price is built anything like commercial scales.)

Boolit Grand Master
    I have both. One electronic scale went bad after 15 years but it was cheap so not a big deal. Worth it for the ease of use. I use hillbilly check weights (pellets, coins, or bullets) to check an electronic scale at the start of a session and at the end. I have never experienced "drift" but have heard it can happen. My hillbilly "check weights" are verified on a mechanical scale.

I have four mechanical scales . Three I got cheap from the S&S sub forum. Just could not resist a "good" buy...LOL.

Frankly, none get very much use as over 99% of my reloading is done on Dillons. Once the measures are dialed in I will check every time I load another primer tube but that is just me being anal. I use a Powder Check and it is close enough for my needs. Of course if the Powder Check does off, that case gets checked.

A Charge Master is used for rifle rounds off the Co-Ax. It gets used for bullet sorting as well.
    Don Verna

Thanks, all. I shoulda known. Back when I was living on a sailboat I always carried paper charts. None of those electronic charts for me. With paper all you need is a set of paralells and a pencil. Digital requires electricity and everything else must be working as well.

Thanks again,

Jim

I can only wonder what using mechanical scales would be like on a sailboat, or any boat for that matter. Kinda makes me think of the compasses used on ships which self level.

Slim
    JUST GOTTA LOVE THIS JOINT.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    A popular YouTuber did a video on a bunch of less expensive electronic scales. One did out preform the others. I couldn’t find the exact brand, but bought one that looked exactly like it. I was hoping they were made in the same place China. It’s been over two years now and it seems to still be working alright. I have some test weights I check it with. I Wouldn’t trust it to a hundredth of a grain, but to a tenth, I do. It takes AA batteries. I’ve never had great luck with the coin size ones.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by slim1836 View Post
    I can only wonder what using mechanical scales would be like on a sailboat, or any boat for that matter. Kinda makes me think of the compasses used on ships which self level.

Slim
    I've never reloaded on a boat but your question is interesting. My guess is a digital scale would be slightly more affected by boat roll than a beam scale.

Boolit Master
    Obviously, not in the same level as reloading scales, I have a bacharach charging scale, and I'm truly impressed by it. The other day, I picked up about half of a 5 gal bucket of wheel weights from a mechanic friend. Weighed the bucket, then tossed in another piece of wheel weight into the bucket. Reading on the scale went up 1.5 oz. I checked the wheel weight and it was a 1.5 weight. This scale can read in kgs, lbs, or ounces. Maximum weight capacity is 330 lbs.

Boolit Grand Master

My PACT has been plugged in continuously since I bought it many years ago. It came with 2 check weights that provide solid verification of accuracy. It is far more convenient than a beam balance.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12