WidenersRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionLoad Data
Titan ReloadingInline FabricationReloading EverythingRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Faulty Powder Measure

Faulty Powder Measure

Have many of you encountered a digital powder scale becoming stupid? I have three digital scales and one balance beam scale, an old Herter's. One of my digital scales became wierd. It would tell me that the batteries were too low. It uses two 2032 button discs. I replaced the batteries with new Energizers. It still tells me the batteries are dead.

Another scale uses AAA batteries. I started using it because the first one became erratic. Then I started noticing I had to re-zero frequently using the Tare button. So I got all four out. Put a Speer 180 grain boolit on each. The first one said 179.9 grains and then said the batteries are dead. The second told me the boolit was 148.8 grains weight. The Herter's said 179.8 grs. Then I tried a new one from Hornady. It says 180.0 grs.

I put new AAA batteries in the second and it still reads 148.8. Into the trash with it. Saved the new batteriees, tho.

All my loading records are now suspect. I have been using the second one - the one that reads low - for my development. I'm gonna have to start all over.

Anyone else experience anything like this?

Boolit Master
    I’m now using lithium batteries in all devices now. They cost more but are more stable so far.

Boolit Grand Master

I've tried 3 digital scales since 2001 and they all suffer from the same short comings. Trickling up is nearly impossible. I like to throw short and trickle up when developing a load and none of the scales I had would allow smooth adding to a charge. More often than not trickling up was hit or miss; adding what appeared to be .5 grain would not register but one flake/ball more and the weight would jump up to .7 gr higher. Also two ff the scales would make up their own mind about how long they should stay on and one forgot if it was to measure grains or grams. I use one, but set it by my RCBS 5-10 or my Lyman/Ohaus D5.
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Regards
    John

Boolit Master

I’ve decided if I have to get a “second opinion” from my Redding #2 to verify the accuracy of an electronic scale then I don’t need the electronic scale.

I had an electronic Hornady scale probably 20 years ago. It started adding or subtracting weight as it saw fit. Tried new batteries, still was erratic. You could recalibrate it but it didn't stay calibrated for long. Finally figured it wasn't worth the aggravation and tossed it in the trash.

Boolit Master
    if its relies on batteries have a mechanical scale as main /checker.

Boolit Bub
    179.9, 179.8, and 180 grains for a bullet could be a just be placement on the scale.

Banned
    I read that Digital can be affected by electronic devices that are in close proximity like call phones or ?

Did you check the "new" 2032 button discs to see if they were fully charged?

I'm kind of anal about battery charges and have 3 battery testers

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by markmars View Post
    179.9, 179.8, and 180 grains for a bullet could be a just be placement on the scale.
    Yeah, that's true. It's a rarely mentioned characteristic that balance beams don't have so we can't fool them. Anything placed anywhere on a balance pan will consistently read what it weighs on the scale. But ... digital scales? Not so much.

So, again, I have to wonder WHY anyone thinks a digital scale improves anything except the seller's bottom line.

Boolit Master
    I use a Denver Instruments MXX-123. It reads to .02 of a grain. I have check weights if I think things ain't going right with any of my scales. I've had RCBS 5-0-5 and 304 scales. Currently have a 10-10.

Nothing I've used is as accurate as MX-123. I get my best standard deviation in my 6br when I weigh charges with the MXX-123. I haven't found a mechanical balance that matches it.

When I bought the MXX-123 it cost me $230 about 15-16 years ago. Would you expect a $200 rifle to be as accurate as a $1000 one?

Boolit Master
    I don't trust electronic scales, too many reported instances of a `wandering zero`.

I prefer to trust my Redding beam scale and RCBS check weights to be consistently accurate.

ukrifleman.

Boolit Master
    I have two electronic scales and trust my RCBS 505 scale as the final answer to a weight.

Boolit Grand Master
    Gravity seems ( to me ) to be far more reliable than electronics and batteries.

Stop using cheap scales. Get a quality electronic. Myweigh has served me for more than 20 years without a glitch.
    To paraphrase Ronald Reagan, the trouble with many shooting experts is not that they're ignorant; its just that they know so much that isn't so.

Boolit Grand Master
    A wise man once said, “He who has a watch knows the time, while he who has two is always in doubt.” If any one of your scales gives consistent results, use that one only and put the others aside. It doesn’t matter whether the scale you are using has absolute accuracy, if it is consistent and your loads are developed on it. JMHO, of course... you may want to “chase your tail” using different scales.

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Bub
    I purchased a Frankford Arsenal "INTELLIDROPPER ELECTRONIC POWDER MEASURE" last year and have had great success. I reload for accuracy and this does not disappoint. Once you calibrate and set up it drops within .10 gr. I have double checked several times on Ohaus triple beam and it is dead on. No batteries, A/C plug in . Only oddity is when power goes off to house, scale kicks on when power is back on. Have loaded thousands of rounds.

Boolit Master

I just tossed my lyman dps 1200 yesterday. been fine for years. it has a powder dispenser/trickler and digi scale. this weekend the trickler started stalling when it got down to about the last .3g and would just set there and never finish the throw. tried restarting it a few times and check for binding.. but finally decided it was unreliable. at the same time.. I noticed the load cell started jumping from 0 to 0.4 had never seen that before... at that point I drained powder and boxed it. I have an rcbs chargemaster lite on the way.

Boolit Grand Master

We put way too much faith in electronics ... most don't deserve it .

I still use a balance beam scale and run breaker points in my 1968 Chevelle ... no electronics .

Keep the Herters balance beam scale .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master

Most of my tractors have points..and I do have 3 balance beam scales.. Just for making high quantity low volume pistol I love the auto thrower vs a cavity dispenser.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast