Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Wideners
Lee PrecisionLoad DataInline FabricationReloading Everything
Repackbox
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 8x56R crimp

...glad you've done.
    good continuation !

Boolit Master
    Something tells me that I'm just beginning with this rifle. It seems to like pointed bullets better than the rounded, flat nosed cast bullets (at least with dummy rounds). Hopefully, I'll be able to test it out with cast bullets this week. I still have a good supply of Nazi ammo but I don't feel the magic of excessive recoil anymore.

if long-range shooting is not foreseen, I agree on the use of redux loads and lead bullets without punishing oneself with recoil. I think it is a question of discovering the best reduced charge, and the accuracy should not suffer.
    ...and the possible flinching of the shooter, myself first, above all, canceled thanks to the relaxation.

Boolit Master
    I used 12 grs Red Dot, 205 gr bullet, and it was much better than the Nazi ammo. A gong banger at 100 yds. Getting used to the straight pull makes the action much smoother. I had to force myself not to try and twist the bolt to the left. Just push down and bang it back. I swear the rifle called me a whimp after every shot for using the reduced loads.

just in case, Richard Lee, on his MODERN RELOADING book, from p. 90 onwards gives excellent information about the calculation of the reduced loads for each bolt action, and with these they had also given good results on the Steyr.
    (long before the Nazis, in the 1WW, here the Steyr became well known by the Italian soldiers: they were systematically hit from long distance by the feared Austro-Hungarian marksmen. this was done using both versions, short and long: scoped specimens were found of both, indeed.)

Boolit Master
    I'll check out that book. How strict are your gun laws?

...about our laws, it's a bit of a long talk, but the fundamental limitations remain virtually unobtainable legal gun carry for self-defense, no full-auto, no mufflers, no .fifty bmg rifles_. I stop here so as not to enter into legal & political personal rants.

...here, anyway, the substance of Lee's concept and the basic formula, 1st Manual, which works well.
    obviously in the two well known Manuals, first or second edition, there are also really interesting tables, etc. _

Boolit Buddy
    Why bother to crimp in this rifle? The only rifle loads i crimp are tube fed lever actions. I have never had a bullet move in a bolt or straight pull rifle.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12