Snyders JerkyInline FabricationRepackboxTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2WidenersLoad DataReloading Everything
Lee Precision MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Infractions are like a criminal record?

Boolit Master

I have no problem with the rules per se, and now that I know them I follow them when I can. I have got two infractions, two years apart, and I think both are for cuss words. One was because I cut and pasted an article where the author used asterisks to mask part of the word; I posted so got the infraction. The other was again for a link to an article where the article was clean, but the comments to the article included cuss words, again I posted so I got the infraction. No problem really, though it's hard to control the comments, specially if you don't see them before you post or they comment after you post.
    "Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it."
    ~Pericles~

Boolit Master
    The rules are the rules, and honestly I’d rather the system just wouldn’t allow a post for foul language than changing to asterisks.

As a practical matter, I am amused that someone will get an infraction for posting a string of asterisks but not for cursing. There is probably a reason for it, and I’m not asking for an explanation since I’m happy just knowing the rule.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by JimB.. View Post
    The rules are the rules, and honestly I’d rather the system just wouldn’t allow a post for foul language than changing to asterisks.

As a practical matter, I am amused that someone will get an infraction for posting a string of asterisks but not for cursing. There is probably a reason for it, and I’m not asking for an explanation since I’m happy just knowing the rule.
    The difference, as I believe it to be, is (using Dang as the example) D**g, if it was a cussword, would be an infraction, **** would not be, because the entire word is blotted out. Probably because the first would be easy to make out, but the second would not be, though in context it may be anyway.
    Last edited by Omega; 06-01-2021 at 02:54 PM. Reason: Speeling
    "Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it."
    ~Pericles~

Boolit Master
    I am a mod on one of the silencer forums and it is a thankless task. I've even had people threaten to shoot me there. All forums are different and as always, their forum, their rules even if you are financially supporting the site. My 1 infraction came by self censoring with asterisks and it was a word describing a child born out of wedlock rather than some more colorful language. I left for a while after getting cautioned about using symbols to hide profanity even though there was zero intent much like the beloved Sargent Snorkle.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BeetleBailey(Sarge_yelling).jpeg 
Views:	278 
Size:	16.4 KB 
ID:	283854
    “Coincidence is God’s way of remaining anonymous.”

Moderator Emeritus

Infraction history is private. Mods use it as an indicator of behavior. That is why is stays attached. Only you and the mods can see it.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega View Post
    The difference, as I believe it to be, is (using Dang as the example) D**g, if it was a cussword, would be an infraction, **** would not be, because the entire word is blotted out. Probably because the first would be easy to make out, but the second would not be, though in context it may be anyway.
    Oh, I thought that **** (typed as ****) would be an infraction, but **** (typed as dang) would not be, I could be wrong.

The advice that I found most helpful was to just type what you want and let the computer sort it, it’s worked perfectly for me.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    When I was still on staff, it was pointed out I had no infractions, so was given one on general purposes. I've got a few more over the years. No big deal, suck it up, and move on.
    It's basically a slap on the wrist, but without the slap...

Often times they are used as the easiest and quickest way to remind people of the rules.

Boolit Grand Master
    To me, it's just petty.
    But I don't make the rules.
    They should expire after a while.
    Many times it's just the way the person talks in everyday life.
    It's a smoke dream to think kids are offended by "bad words"
    Majority of the kids these day know more than parents think.
    I got gigged for that silly ************ thing.
    Also for posting selling 10 boxes of the same thing, then other stuff in the same S&S.
    Honest misunderstanding.
    Still got gigged for it.
    To me, it's hard to know what is in the mind of the mods.
    It's like...............
    "How would you describe phonography???"
    "I can't describe what it is, but I know it when I see it"

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    I think I can safely say this . . . . . that if you are on this site long enough and make post . . . . at some point you will be reminded by an infraction . . . . and probably 99% of them are not intentional. I have had several , , , , putting in symbols instead of bad words . . . last one was failing to prefix a listing in the WTS section with a WTB .. . . and all were deserver and justified. The rules are posted . . . we are expected to follow them and even if the "offense" is not intended . . . a lapse of remembering is not really a good excuse.

I have no "beef" with any of the Mods - they are doing what they are expected to do and the result of that is a great site where things run pretty smoothly and there are a lot of sites that can't claim that. If a person is caught speeding - they will likely get a ticket but it isn't the end of the world.

I have no idea of what th OP's infraction was about - and with all due respect to him = it really isn't any of my business - but deserver oer not - there are far greater things in life to worry about than an "infraction" - move on in life - it isn't a felony or a misdemeanor - it's a gentle reminder that a rule of the site wasn't;t followed and like many of us who have had them - pay attention to the rules. If an individual doesn't and continues to break them - well - the only have themselves to blame if the are given a "time out".

I have been married almost 50 years and love mu wife dearly, but like anyone else, I have had more than my share of "infractions" - bought something and didn't tell her - forgot to do something I said I would take care of, etc. - my point is that life is full of "infractions" - right or wrong - but don't let it ruin your day as life is too short. LOL

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    When the updated/new maybe original filter was added I and many others were put that the 6.5&7.7 Japanese was dogged when mentioned by it's well known every day slang name sans the anese . I don't recall it happening here but the common term used for the second notch of an SAA or most exposed hammer arms was flagged also . I really never understood what the deal was if half-rooster or roostered and locked were used , I think both examples are abridged now .

I got my hands smacked but honestly I don't remember what for now .
    I've been accused of being a walking thesaurus full of passe' language , it's actually a spelling problem ...... Rendezvous is easier to write than a gathering of like minds , but I have to use man made water impoundment , because lake isn't always correct .

Big deal we got gigged . If you don't do anything you can't foul anything up is a poor way to live .

Honestly Hades just doesn't carry the emphasis desired . Cleaning up phrases often makes them even more colorful than they are straight up .
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Boolit Grand Master

Interesting Thread ... I didn't know I could click on a persons name and view their profile and all kinds of other stuff ... makes me feel like I'm snooping around in your business .
    I'm posting this just so I can click on my name and see what it says about me ...this should be interesting !
    Gary

My that was interesting . I clicked on a few others members profiles and didn't see anyone's infractions ... don't post about them and nobody will know
    Gary

I'm amazed at everything the computer program can save , store , recall and show you ...
    I'm also even more amazed it still can't install a simple LIKE button !

Stupid Computer
    We Need A Like Button !
    Gary
    Last edited by gwpercle; 06-02-2021 at 11:29 AM.
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Quote Originally Posted by FISH4BUGS View Post
    I am just trying to understand why the infraction has to stay on one's profile like a scarlet letter for apparently for as long as one is a member. Mods....care to explain?
    As the OP, I think most of the posters missed the point of my question.
    The mods answered it. No one else can see the infraction but me and the mods.
    It is some type of "record keeping" for the mods to know who is a repeat offender and how serious the infraction was.
    I get it. I may not agree with the specific infraction but hey - it is not my board and not my rules.
    Play by those rules or get out. Pretty simple solution.
    Fini.
    Collector and shooter of guns and other items that require a tax stamp, Lead and brass scrounger. Never too much brass, lead or components in inventory! Always looking to win beauty contests with my reloads.

Banned
    Real problem is some on the board have buddies who are mods ergo if they don't like your post they rat you out because their feelings are hurt it doesn't have to be profanity just get your mod buddy to censure you .

That's a rather harsh accusation, starnbar. Can you cite an example?

DG

Cast Boolits Owner

Quote Originally Posted by Der Gebirgsjager View Post
    That's a rather harsh accusation, starnbar. Can you cite an example?

DG
    Exactly. I keep a pretty good eye what the mods do so would be surprised if what you are saying is true. State your case, provide your proof and I’ll handle it.
    "The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion."
    - Albert Camus -

Posted in a thread about "dirty words".
    Didn't post any.
    Posted a link to another website.
    On that website was a video.
    In that video was someone who didn't use any dirty words either.

That was my sin. What I learned from it was whom to ignore. (or at least in theory, I don't recall who was and probably didn't remember after five minutes)

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by starnbar View Post
    Real problem is some on the board have buddies who are mods ergo if they don't like your post they rat you out because their feelings are hurt it doesn't have to be profanity just get your mod buddy to censure you .
    Have seen this some places, have not seen it here.

Banned

I was given one recently for something that was listed on another forum for about 3 minutes while I was deleting it. Sometimes like this it is a unwarranted use of power. And selling something that is not allowed. A hunting knife. While the same mod let other sellers sell knives because someone in MANAGEMENT wanted to buy it.

Or by pointing out someone was trying to extort the site and 45Nut for content and images he posted. Well he was banned. Then about 3 years later a few people tried and got him back on the site. Brought up and showed all the things this person said and did. But SOMEONE deleted and changed all the post by this person.

Well the guy went off his rocker again and was banned and all content was deleted. AKA Vdmorie Blazing Sabot.

Anyway, they do a good job most of the time. But not allways

Post #32 is well put, FISH4BUGS.
    BTW, I thought “infraction” is a mathematical term.......

Quote Originally Posted by tomme boy View Post
    I was given one recently for something that was listed on another forum for about 3 minutes while I was deleting it. Sometimes like this it is a unwarranted use of power. And selling something that is not allowed. A hunting knife. While the same mod let other sellers sell knives because someone in MANAGEMENT wanted to buy it.

Or by pointing out someone was trying to extort the site and 45Nut for content and images he posted. Well he was banned. Then about 3 years later a few people tried and got him back on the site. Brought up and showed all the things this person said and did. But SOMEONE deleted and changed all the post by this person.

Well the guy went off his rocker again and was banned and all content was deleted. AKA Vdmorie Blazing Sabot.

Anyway, they do a good job most of the time. But not allways
    Probably true that we do a good job most of the time, but not all of the time. Like policemen, we have high standards, but are not always perfect. Where would society be without policemen (I think we're in the process of finding out..) and where would the forum be without some regulation.

Knives are not allowed for sale on this forum. Yes, gun guys are usually knife guys, and we have a sub-forum dedicated to the display and discussion of knives, but sales are currently prohibited. Why? Because management feels that there are plenty of on line forums dedicated to knives and the sale of knives. Knife guys often have huge tool rolls full of knives that they wish to sell. Have you ever been to a flea market/swap meet and seen knives for sale? If there is one knife on the table there are likely 200 of them. Therefore the decision was made not to allow the sale of knives on this forum as we would be inundated with them, ad after ad of Chinese and Pakastani cutlery, and become a flea market instead of a bullet casting and gun oriented forum.

The person and incident you have cited as disrupting the forum has been dealt with, and the problem child permanently banned. Rapidly becoming ancient history. I think you should note that the individual in question was given a second chance, and like you have observed, "he went off his rocker again. Seems like the entire matter was handled fairly to me.

DG

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast