Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingLoad DataRepackbox
Wideners
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Infractions are like a criminal record?

Infractions are like a criminal record?

I have been bothered by something that happened 2 years ago on this Board.
    I made a post that I thought nothing of but apparently the mods felt otherwise. No bad words were written, and nothing bad was intended but that did not seem to bother the mods.
    I was issued an infraction....first one ever in almost 16 years of participating, supporting and donating to this board.
    Hey...I am a big boy and tried to appeal to the mods but to no avail. I respectfully disagreed with them and tried to ague my case, again to no avail.
    Well, OK.....it is their Board and I have to play by their rules. I get it.
    However, I did not, in all good conscience, continue to donate as a sponsor after that. I know by donation would not hurt them at all but i could not give them money after that.
    So why does this bother me?
    That infraction was been attached to my profile since it happened. It reminds me of a sex offender registry where it follows you for the rest of your life.
    I would ask the mods to explain why, after paying my "debt to society" with an infraction and a warning from the mods to be more careful, it has to remain on my profile for apparently the rest of my days here.
    I would be happy to donate again and support the Board financially, but this just rubs me the wrong way.
    I am not trying to start a fight here. Again, I get it that it is YOUR board and YOUR rules. I am just trying to understand why the infraction has to stay on one's profile like a scarlet letter for apparently for as long as one is a member.
    Mods....care to explain?
    Collector and shooter of guns and other items that require a tax stamp, Lead and brass scrounger. Never too much brass, lead or components in inventory! Always looking to win beauty contests with my reloads.

Boolit Master
    Curious, I don’t see on your profile that you have had an infraction, where do you see it?

Boolit Master
    The infractions are only visible by you. Annoying as it may be, there are better battles to fight.

ETA. I only know this for having been warned about using stars to bypass the bad word censor.
    “Coincidence is God’s way of remaining anonymous.”

Boolit Master

You're right! Made me look at my Profile and see the list of infractions I've been tagged with; some with merit but most without (IMO). Total infractions (4). Only thing that I learned by viewing my list was that all but (2) of the (heavy handed Mods) are dead. So, MODS, give me an infraction at your own risk.

Boolit Master

I had one a few years ago. For over posting in swapping and selling. It's expired now. The infraction was helpful though. I communicated with the mod. And i leaned i can post more than one thing per ad.
    One round at a time.
    Member of the NRA,GOA and FAOC. Gun clubs Zerby rod and gun club. Keystone Fish and Game Association.

Quote Originally Posted by sparky45 View Post
    You're right! Made me look at my Profile and see the list of infractions I've been tagged with; some with merit but most without (IMO). Total infractions (4). Only thing that I learned by viewing my list was that all but (2) of the (heavy handed Mods) are dead. So, MODS, give me an infraction at your own risk.
    Interesting. I looked at your profile and did not see any infractions, so you are correct. I guess we can only see our own infraction(s).
    ....and Bakerjw, you are also correct....there are bigger battles to fight.....but it is still annoying to see it there, particularly since is was (IMHO) wrongfully issued.
    I guess I will have to reconsider my donation to the Board now.
    i DO support them and their providing a place for all this knowledge and experience.
    Collector and shooter of guns and other items that require a tax stamp, Lead and brass scrounger. Never too much brass, lead or components in inventory! Always looking to win beauty contests with my reloads.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by bakerjw View Post
    The infractions are only visible by you. Annoying as it may be, there are better battles to fight.

ETA. I only know this for having been warned about using stars to bypass the bad word censor.
    I almost got an infraction for bypassing the language filter by typing a bad word that the forums then changed to asterisks :S.

Quote Originally Posted by Multra View Post
    I almost got an infraction for bypassing the language filter by typing a bad word that the forums then changed to asterisks :S.
    Exactly what i did except i made the asterisks myself. I pled my case to no avail. I think that is what angered me. There was no evil "intent" to bypass the censors. I Intentionally did what I did yet the mods saw it differently as "trying to evade the censors".
    I was educated about the bad word filter so that was a learning experience.
    I guess it is one's point of view that makes the difference.
    Oh well, at least I got my question answered here today.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    When I was still on staff, it was pointed out I had no infractions, so was given one on general purposes. I've got a few more over the years. No big deal, suck it up, and move on.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Banned

What did you post that caused the “infraction”?

You shouldve seen my infraction list on the S&W forum....the mods made it a game i think to see who could give me the most ��

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Multra View Post
    I've got one, if not two this way. I've never intentionally bypassed it, but when you copy and paste text, it does it for you.

Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    No big deal, suck it up, and move on.
    I would agree on general principles. But asking me for money to support the Board, particularly given the fact that I donated for many years, makes it a two way street.

Anything that happened to you two years ago that didn't cripple you, cost you a job or marriage no longer has any relevance to your life today. Time to move on!
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Master
    Where does one find infractions listed? Profile?

ADMIN

Quote Originally Posted by Hossfly View Post
    Where does one find infractions listed? Profile?
    there is a tab under your profile.
    If you have any it will be listed. You don't have any.

The staff can see any infraction that you have. You can see any infraction you have. No one else can see them.

Yes, infractions stay apart of your profile forever. The points that are attached to them don't They disappear after a certain amount of time depend on the level of the infraction.
    FISH4BUGS, infraction points have LONG been gone.

Gentlemen, let me address this situation as best as I'm able. I am the newest moderator of perhaps 6 months or a little more experience, with only one newer, but he was here before me, left and came back.

I myself have an infraction dating from about 4 years ago, issued by a moderator who is still on the board. At the time I felt that it was unjust, but like you (all) there wasn't much I could do about it except learn the lesson.

It is an interesting, if unpaid, job. There really are relatively few rules, but they must be enforced for the sake of order and decorum. To re-cap, no bad language whether plainly stated or disguised by symbols. I do not totally understand the concept behind the language censor, as you may write out the "F" word, or the "S" word, or any other foul language that you feel you need to express yourself with, and the Language Censor Feature of the forum will replace all of the letters with asterisks. So the word is there anyway, but not plainly visible to visitors to the Forum such as young people and ladies. A moderator with far more experience than I, has pointed out to me that although we have well over 50,000 registered members, at any given time there are usually 2-3 times as many unregistered guests reading our posts. This means that there are literally hundreds of thousands of people who view the posts at one time or another. Do you really want to share your foul language with them, plainly or disguised? Why?

Those statistics may be found at the bottom of the main forum page where it tells you who is on line and who the latest new members are. It is the desire of the Cast Boolits Forum's Owner, No_1, to keep the CB Forum "family friendly". I do not see how anyone can disagree with this goal, and if you need to "cuss" you can take it elsewhere as there are plenty of places on the internet where their standards are lower. When you attempt to bypass the Censor Feature you are in effect insisting on making your use of the bad language known to others----not acceptable here.

What else....? Discourtesy. Name calling. We don't need that here, nor do you. Once you get the idea it is so easy to just state your case, be it opinion or fact, and move on. If your opinions or facts are challenged by another member (we'll hope in a polite manner) you can certainly return and post again elaborating on your idea or position. But the problem is that so many folks have big, if not huge, egos and desire to be "the expert". The truth of the matter is that there are many real experts who participate in the Forum, but also true that no one is an expert on every subject. If you carefully read and consider what your fellow forum member is posting you may perhaps (1) learn, (2) change your opinion or position, or (3) come to the realization that there are other points of view, all of which have a right to be expressed if done in a polite manner. Beware of arguments in "The Pit" (Political Discussions). Many infractions have been generated there due to inflamed opinions. It just isn't worth it. Don't "bait" or "troll" your fellow members, as these are infractions if obvious to the moderators.
    No one wants troublemakers. Remember, the term is "Political Discussions" not Political Arguments.

Also of concern is the Swappin' & Sellin' area of the Forum. It would probably be safe to say that fully 50% (or more of the infractions issued are in this section. Again, the rules are few and easy to follow. Preface your thread with "WTS, WTB, or WTT" or a combination thereof as appropriate. List no more that 10 items in any ad. Post no more that 5 ads in one calendar month, or have no more than 5 ads open if they span calendar months. Plainly state how much you want to sell the item for, and the manner of payment(s) you prefer. Do not offer items for sale on our Forum and list the for sale on other forums at the same time. Easy-peasy.

The infraction system is kind of like the traffic ticket system. No one likes to get one, and different folks react differently. Some say, "Well, I guess I had it coming. I drive 5 miles over the speed limit all the time, and this time I was 10 over." Others say, " That dirty cop--has to get his quota. Everyone is speeding, and he picked me out because I'm ----(whatever)!" The lesson is not to speed. Here, the lesson is not to use bad language in a forum purposely designed to be a technical and informational forum, and where bad language is not necessary to discuss any of the various topics in the sub-forum sections. No one here (moderators) has anything against anyone, and if you receive an infraction hopefully you will learn the lesson. If you believe it to be unfair and your ego won't let you roll with the punch, then you can always appeal your case to the Forum Owner. It is not routine, but I have seen several infractions reversed and removed from the member's profile.

True, the infractions never go away, but there is a reason for that. It can be useful in determining a pattern of disregard for the rules. The infractions carry points, and enough points will get a suspension in posting privileges and eventually banishment. If you are made aware by receipt of an infraction that this or that behavior is unacceptable it is easy to avoid getting another for that behavior. The points expire, so if you called member Bob a jerk, avoided the Censor, had 11 items for sale, and 6 for sale posts open at the same time you wont' get suspended or banned, if this has occurred over a long period of time and some of the points have expired. But, if you called Fred a jerk in 2018, Craig a jerk in 2019, Steve a jerk in 2020, and John a jerk yesterday you are likely banned because there is a pattern of discourtesy, and the lesson hasn't been learned despite the fact that the points expired.

I hope this answers some of the questions and dampens some of the expressed resentment. You can see what is happening to our society with the relaxation of rules, and we don't want that to happen here. Your cooperation and support is always welcome. I will say for myself, and I'm certain for the other moderators as well, that you may PM us with questions or if you need help.

DG

Vendor Sponsor

I had to learn the hard way that using asterisks or a random string of characters to hide a word was skirting the word filter! It was not an attempt by me to get around the word filter, as in trying to trick it, but the board sorta views it in that light and it was explained to me that if I type it and the word filter does not catch it, then it wasn't against the rules, and I was good to go. And if it was a bad word the filter would catch it and hide it and again, I was good to go. Sometimes you have to figure out each forum and it's rules individually.

I think the word filter has gotten a lot of infractions issued to unsuspecting posters who were just trying to be nice and civil by using alternate strings or characters instead of typing out the profanity.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

I agree with you, Doug. The fine line, and for some difficult to comprehend, is why if one's intentions are good enough to disguise the word, does the word have to be used? It can be a defective mold, a difficult mold, a poorly made mold, but it doesn't have to be a ******* mold.

DG

I also got caught by the asterisk situation. I was wrong, the rules are the rules, but for what it’s worth, I agree they should disappear when they expire. That said , I am a guest and the owners make the rules.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast