Reloading EverythingLoad DataLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
WidenersRepackboxTitan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2 Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 45 ACP brass ? do any manufacturers use just large primers

Boolit Bub
    The most common SPP 45 Auto brass that I have encountered are Blazer, Speer and Federal. I have a few Win NT and a GFL.

The .45ACP and large pistol primers have been paired since 1904.

And sorting between LPP and SPP pockets is a royal pain. (The worst is when you're reloading along and inadvertently try to prime a SPP shell with a large primer. Ruins an 8-cent primer these days, and is really annoying.)

That said, did such a stubby cartridge really need a large primer, even back in 1904? It's not like it's got to ignite a .45LC's powder.

Browning chose the LPP for some reason. More standard for military priming? Who knows.

The fact that some manufacturers have switched to SPP for .45ACP tells me it decreases manufacturing and supply line costs.

And for people who don't reload, they don't even notice the difference.

Also, as Alamogunr said above, "I like the SP brass because I don't have to change the primer setup on the Dillon 550."

You'd think changing out the primer feed system in a Dillon 550 would be a small thing.

But changing out the primer feed is something I really don't like to do. It requires a wrench, careful adjustment, and time...not to mention finding the LPP bar in the spare parts department. I'm psychologically averse to changing out the primer systems. I even bought a second 550 so one could be set up for small primers, the other for large.

Then I needed to reload .38 SPL and .32 H&R Mag for our Cowboy Action Shooting. So both presses are set for small primers.

Now I want to load .45LC. Back to large primers.

I wish all handgun ammo employed small primers.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Liberty1776 View Post

And sorting between LPP and SPP pockets is a royal pain. (The worst is when you're reloading along and inadvertently try to prime a SPP shell with a large primer. Ruins an 8-cent primer these days, and is really annoying.)

That said, did such a stubby cartridge really need a large primer, even back in 1904? It's not like it's got to ignite a .45LC's powder.

Browning chose the LPP for some reason. More standard for military priming? Who knows.

The fact that some manufacturers have switched to SPP for .45ACP tells me it decreases manufacturing and supply line costs.

And for people who don't reload, they don't even notice the difference.

Also, as Alamogunr said above, "I like the SP brass because I don't have to change the primer setup on the Dillon 550."

You'd think changing out the primer feed system in a Dillon 550 would be a small thing.

But changing out the primer feed is something I really don't like to do. It requires a wrench, careful adjustment, and time...not to mention finding the LPP bar in the spare parts department. I'm psychologically averse to changing out the primer systems. I even bought a second 550 so one could be set up for small primers, the other for large.

Then I needed to reload .38 SPL and .32 H&R Mag for our Cowboy Action Shooting. So both presses are set for small primers.

Now I want to load .45LC. Back to large primers.

I wish all handgun ammo employed small primers.
    Since I was quoted, I'll return the favor. I prefer LPP in .44 Spec/Mag,.45 Colt and .475 Linebaugh. But, I don't load these on the Dillon. All these are primed on a RCBS "automatic" priming tool. I don't prime anything on the reloading press itself.
    John
    W.TN

Liberty1776 Well you are wrong on a few counts. The switch to SPP when offering lead free cartridges arose when the manufacturers ran into issues using LPP. I understand the companies just could not make the lead free primers work. They moved to SPP. AFAIK there has not been a large scale switch to SPP in the .45acp cartridge. I suspect the percentage of SPP in 45acp cartridges remains relatively low.

I have been using a 550B for about 30 years. I have never needed a wrench to change primer arms. You remove two screws with an Allen Key, change to charging arm from SP to LP. I then lower the ram and wiggle in the primer cup and tighten the two screws. I then unscrew the primer tube retainer nut and withdraw the SPP tube and replace it with the LP tube. Place the tube retainer nut and you are done...opps also re-attach the return spring for the primer arm.

All that take no more than 5 minutes. You find that difficult? In any event you have a 2nd press for LPP. Carry on.

I recently traded a gun a friend wanted for an unused, but early 550B press. The newly acquired press will now load only 10MM and 45acp pistol cartridge. I load a lot of 9MM and 38spl for competition and less than a lot of 10MM and 45acp so until this deal came along I did both on one press. I load all my rifle on a single stage RCBS Rockchucker, and make GC's on another Rockchucker.

You could send the major manufacturers your concerns and preferences. You might get a positive response but I would not expect much more than a thank-you form letter. I rather suspect the audience for your suggestions is quite small.

Take Care

Bob
    Last edited by robertbank; 07-03-2021 at 04:54 PM.
    Its been months since I bought the book, "How to scam people online". It still has not arrived yet!

"If the human population held hands around the equator, a significant portion of them would drown"

Boolit Master
    I would not mind a change to small primer format for all cartridges. Saves stocking two sizes of primer and changing my press setup between cartridges.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Liberty1776 View Post

When you feel resistance STOP. I've yet to ruin a primer when a 45 ACP SPP case hits station #2. I feel the resistance and stop. I don't try and strongarm a primer in.
    NRA Benefactor.

Boolit Master

I am one who would rather all pistol primers were large primers and the same for rifle. Everyone has his opinion. I like simplified and I would not trust small primers in large cases.

Northern Virginia, where the freeway does roam.
    Quote Originally Posted by dannyd View Post
    Large rifle primer work in 38 Special. Standard deviation TC Encore rifle 6ft/s, TC Contender pistol 9 ft/s, and GP100 revolver 6” inch barrel 13 ft/s. That’s the best numbers I have ever gotten with that load

Milled out the primer pockets

Attachment 283922

Other shooters using them in 45 ACP
    I see this and wonder; would doing the (work for milling the cases for accepting rifle primers), make my semiwadcutter hollowpoints shoot straighter?
    Is this a chronograph target, or a paper target?

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Small Pistol Primers vs Large Pistol Primers. 45 acphttps://www.starlinebrass.com/articl...istol-primers/

I too prefer lpp, but for different reasons. They handle and flip better and vibratory primer fillers seems to work more consistently with them. They are just all around a little easier to work with. Same reason I prefer loading 45 over 9, bigger and easier to work with.

I have accumulated boxes of spp 45s. If I ever run out of lpp I'll switch to using them... But it'll be a cold day... Before that happens.

Boolit Master

The LPP was due to the military trials of the 1911 way way back in time. Something to do with machine tolerances and the interchanging of parts from the test guns. The larger surface area of the LPP allows for the lack of tight tolerances. This I was told from a very knowledgeable source.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by TNsailorman View Post
    I am one who would rather all pistol primers were large primers and the same for rifle. Everyone has his opinion. I like simplified and I would not trust small primers in large cases.
    One problem with this would be greatly reduced case head strength on smaller cases like 9mm and 357 mag.
    NRA Benefactor.

Boolit Master
    I recently ran across some CCI Blazer 10mm brass with SPP.
    Loren

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12