Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingRepackboxSnyders Jerky
Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Wideners Inline Fabrication

Thread: Pumpin' BHR Iron!

Boolit Buddy

Pumpin' BHR Iron!

It's been almost a year since I detected a cancer on my temple and after three surgeries and six weeks of radiation, it's been eight months of recovery. I've lost 25 pounds and a lot of my strength, so now that I'm on the mend I figured to get out my iron and build up my arms again.

I started reloading again and have a bunch of rounds loaded in the last couple of weeks. .30-40, .308, .223, 38 Spcl and .44 Spcl. Since I figured I needed to do some dry fire to regain my trigger skills I broke out the 624 and 629 to do some dry firing. The 624 has a single action pull in low ozs and the 629 is about 2 1/2 pounds. After a few days of dry fire I got used to them and and realized my shoulders were awfully weak so today I started working on that with my Big Honkin' Revolvers, not the dumbell.

Watchin' a old 49er game today, I worked both arms and shoulders, dry firing and just lifting them at arms length. Dogone sore now but by the end of the week I should be much better. I have to use my left eye 'cause my right is still messed up from the surgery but, I've trained both eyes shooting for a long time before, so not much different. Next month the VA says they will fix my eye so I may be able to use both eyes again soon.

I need to build up for offhand Krag shooting for the cast silhouette matches this summer. The Krag's trigger is about 4 pounds and I've had trouble with smooth let off with it, but I can only hold offhand for about 90 seconds before my shakes get to me. I need my right eye for the Krag though.

In my 75 years and one war, I've never had any injury worse that a strained knee or a jammed elbow. I was lucky!

BHR Iron for the win!

Boolit Master
    So... Pumping Walkers and Dragoons?
    “Coincidence is God’s way of remaining anonymous.”

Moderator Emeritus

Glad you are doing ok and have found a way to combine lifting and shooting to achieve a goal. Keep it up.

Boolit Buddy
    Well I see Rosy Fingered Aurora rising so time to get into the reloading while it's cool and do some .223 ladder loads.

The radiation caused me to get my sleep patterns all screwed up, and I've been waking up at Oh dark thirty these days which is not bad as it's been getting over 100 degrees F here in the PM. Makes it too hot in the garage to load after about 11:00 AM.

I've been working on some loads for my Ruger 77 MKII to see if I can get it to shoot better. That little 20" carbine is a hard gun to get under~2" at 100 yds. My 1885 Low Wall does so much better but the Ruger is a challenge.