Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyRepackbox
Inline FabricationWidenersLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters Supply Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: There is a reason that I don't trust people.

Boolit Master

There is a reason that I don't trust people.

We have a good friend, Courtney, who is completely blind. My wife is legally blind and we've known Courtney and many other blind people from where my wife worked for several years. It is amazing how many people will take advantage of blind people.
    A few weeks back, Courtney called us about some firewood from a branch on a tree that had fallen in his back yard. We went and picked it up and helped him with the cleanup. It was an old tree with several large 14"+ branches growing quite a ways up into the sky. There was a lot of wood there. Courtney was going to have a tree service come and take it all down. As part of their service, for a "fee", they would haul the wood away. We burn wood in the Winter and I told Courtney that we'd buy the wood from him and to just have them take the tree down.
    Well, today, we went over as they had felled the tree and cut it up. It was hard wood and as soon as I saw what they'd left in piles, I told my wife, they took the best wood and left scraps. In looking at what we hauled home, it is so clear that these *******s took advantage of one of our friends and a blind one at that.
    Sorry for the vent, this just pisses me off.
    “Coincidence is God’s way of remaining anonymous.”

Boolit Master
    That kind of stuff pizzes me off as well.
    I'd suggest to Courtney that he contact the tree service & say he wants a refund for the theft of wood. Have him tell them he had a buyer for the wood, and it's been stolen by them.

If one phone call doesn't get it brought back---- That sounds like theft.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master
    You want to try the local city council......they seized a strip of ground off me for a stormwater drain,stole all the good soil from the trench and replaced it with clay and rock rubbish.....then had the unmitigated gall to send me a letter asking/demanding that I establish and maintain grass on the bare ground as a neighbour wasnt happy with the bare dirt......Final insult they resisted paying for an easement ,because the drain was underground and not visible on my land......then if I want to build over the "invisible" drain ,I have to pay a application planning fee of $2000,and have my building plans include an engineers report saying the drain wont be impacted.

There is a special place in Hell for those kind of people! memtb
    You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“LETS GO BRANDON”

Quote Originally Posted by john.k View Post
    You want to try the local city council......they seized a strip of ground off me for a stormwater drain,stole all the good soil from the trench and replaced it with clay and rock rubbish.....then had the unmitigated gall to send me a letter asking/demanding that I establish and maintain grass on the bare ground as a neighbour wasnt happy with the bare dirt......Final insult they resisted paying for an easement ,because the drain was underground and not visible on my land......then if I want to build over the "invisible" drain ,I have to pay a application planning fee of $2000,and have my building plans include an engineers report saying the drain wont be impacted.
    A good attorney would take care of this.

Slim
    JUST GOTTA LOVE THIS JOINT.

Heck, a local cattle farmer near me owned around 1000 acres. Its been in his family for over 100 years. The county seized a portion of it (the portion with his livestock pond) under imminent domain because it was "in the landing/take off path" for a local airport. They then turned around and sold the land to a developer. It was in and out of court for years until he couldnt afford to keep fighting it.

Boolit Buddy
    You need to post that on yelp and Facebook hashtag the heck out of it.

Wow...stole from a blind person, that's a whole new level there.

Banned

I've always told people I'd like to live out in the boondocks. I was told I don't love mankind. I love mankind it's people I can't stand. Sorry to hear about your friend, but there are too many of these types of people out there.
    Years ago we owned a rental duplex and had to have a tree in the back yard felled, a good friend wanted the wood for his fire place. I told the removal company to take the brush and leave the rest and they honored the contract.

Boolit Master
    That's awful. I hope that her friends help her out with that.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

There's a "Special Place" in **** for people that take advantage of others. We can shame them here, but their afterlife "reward" is going to be significant.
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Master
    Courtney is a guy too. When he was 11, a step dad shot him in the back of the head with a shotgun and it blinded him. Optical images are processed at the back of the brain so that's why it caused him to be blind.
    He's not out anything as all he wanted was the tree felled. When he told them to leave the wood because he had someone who would take it, the tree company told him that no one would want the wood because it was so hard... Uhm... if you burn wood for supplemental heat, you want hardwoods. They typically charge to take the wood away and then split it and sell it to make even more money.
    We got free wood out of the deal so it's no skin off of our back our only loss was that there was enough there to keep me from having to run down another source. I am still SMHID...

Boolit Master
    Again, that's just wrong by the tree service people.

If you wanted free wood, I could hook you up, if you wanted to come my way & run your chainsaw some. I'm dropping some maples & cherry's around my deer food plot. Cut one maple this weekend. I have a few more too! I don't burn wood,, so,, it'd be free. (You just have to work it a bit!) I already have 10-12 logs I moved with my tractor.

Boolit Master
    Appreciate the offer but I've got to deal with what wood that we've gotten already. And need to finish up the brooder as new chicks are arriving in the next week or so. And finish the roof on the coop. And chip some branches from plum trees. It is never ending it seems.

I usually run ads on Craigslist looking for dead standing wood. We will fill the shelter every few years as well as the one for my mother in law.

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    Sorry to hear things like that . . . . but I, and many others as well, have probably seen such things so many times. People like that will get theirs one day. It's too bad you can't find a sympathetic local LEO to pay them a visit for a little chat - they need to be called out on it.

A yrar or so before we moved, I gave quite a bit of scrap metal to a guy who hauled scrap. My wife had one of his boys in school and he was the first to go to college so I thought it would help the kid out. I junked out some farm machinery and some scrap from the farm plus some heavy cast iron old machines and tools - so it was worth their time. How did they thank me? The father came back when I wasn't home and stole all the copra wire I had on the shelf in the shop AS WELL AS all of my lead - probably 500 + pounds of it that I had accumulated. I talked with the township PD - I knew he stole it, they knew he stole it - but no way to actually prove it. He now turns the other way and scurries off if he sees me and avoids me like the plague - guilt is a terrible thing.

bakerjw - you and your wife do a wonderful thing to help your friends out and that is the way it's supposed to be . . .

In this life, there are two kinds of people . . . there are "givers" and there are "takers" . . . . unfortunately our country is where it is today because of "takers" who are willing to take advantage of anyone and who were never taught the difference between right and wrong . . . and most of them are no better than what I used to shovel out of the stalls and barnyard when I was a kid.

Boolit Grand Master

A lot of the tree services here if they take the tree down the wood is theirs but they take everything, the small and damaged is chipped into a truck also, it is a complete clean up.

Even out in the boondocks when you move there in few years it grows up and becomes almost suburbs with the people moving in wanting all the things they had in the city. Its interesting in that they want just what they were moving away from. And will work and fight to get it. We have areas zoned here now that the farmers can only run equipment from 9:00 to 7:00 because of this. They dont want to hear the machines running.

If you want real fun try dealing with a local zoning board they have become more Home owner association than not. When I put up the new garage all was good hen the permit was issued then when almost finished they decided it was to big and couldnt be where it was wanting variance fees or removal, this tied the building up fir 10 weeks while they debated and argued.

I have reason to be and and can be as cynical as the next person, but I fight the impulse. There ARE trustworthy people in this world and people who ARE NOT trustworthy. I try and not make the innocent pay for the guilty. I just don't put more blue/white chips on the table, than I can't afford to lose until I know a person and their moral compass.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Master

I'd call the police.

They stole something of value from him.
    NRA Benefactor.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by bakerjw View Post
    We have a good friend, Courtney, who is completely blind. My wife is legally blind and we've known Courtney and many other blind people from where my wife worked for several years. It is amazing how many people will take advantage of blind people.
    A few weeks back, Courtney called us about some firewood from a branch on a tree that had fallen in his back yard. We went and picked it up and helped him with the cleanup. It was an old tree with several large 14"+ branches growing quite a ways up into the sky. There was a lot of wood there. Courtney was going to have a tree service come and take it all down. As part of their service, for a "fee", they would haul the wood away. We burn wood in the Winter and I told Courtney that we'd buy the wood from him and to just have them take the tree down.
    Well, today, we went over as they had felled the tree and cut it up. It was hard wood and as soon as I saw what they'd left in piles, I told my wife, they took the best wood and left scraps. In looking at what we hauled home, it is so clear that these *******s took advantage of one of our friends and a blind one at that.
    Sorry for the vent, this just pisses me off.
    They price it with getting firewood to sell. It is their profit in many cases. Friend of mine did that in the 90's and he told me they relied on firewood for paychecks in winter.

Boolit Master
    I had similar drama to country gent....i wanted a big shed in my yard,had the space,but knew the neighbours wouldnt be happy........they immediately think cars ,body work,noise etc........anyway ,I let them all think it was a house pad I was having done .....they only woke up when the shed was part up ,then started complaining to the council.......The approval for planning was done by a private certifier,but once the forms are signed ,council cant countermand them ,unless Im breaking zoning laws.......inspectors came out with GPS surveying to check I was inch accurate in placement,building size and height,checked boundary clearances and anything else that they could think of......Its finished now,does look kinda big ,and neighbours are making a movie about it ,near as I can see.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast