RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyInline FabricationReloading Everything
Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingRepackbox
Lee Precision Wideners
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Round ball problem

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Gtrubicon View Post
    I’m interested to know what rifle would wo for a cast rb of .445. I’m very new to Muzzleloading.
    most 45 cal, muzzleloader rifles will take a .440 or .445 ball depending on patch thickness, rifling depth, how new is the rifle . I start a 45 on .440 ball and calico patch - after its run in move to a thicker patch (pillow ticking or drill) and after 300 to 500 rounds would go to a .445 ball with the calico patch again.

Boolit Master
    I recently purchased a 454 Lachmiller round ball mold from a member here. I don’t think it was ever used. The mold is stamped 454, but after casting with it this morning I measured a few and they were .445. They fall right to the bottom of the cylinder of my 1858 Remington. Since it’s a steel mold, will beagleing it work to get it to .454? The lead cast was from rolled lead flashing. I cleaned my lead pot out before casting. Any advice would be great. Thanks.
    I would have to agree with outpost's point that the mold may have been stamped incorrectly. 9 Thou (.009) is a huge difference and no amount of tin or even antimony will fill that kind of void. I would say, get a 45 cal rifle as well as a new RB mold.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by triggerhappy243 View Post
    I would have to agree with outpost's point that the mold may have been stamped incorrectly. 9 Thou (.009) is a huge difference and no amount of tin or even antimony will fill that kind of void. I would say, get a 45 cal rifle as well as a new RB mold.
    i agree, get a rifle to fit the mold and another mold for the remmy capgun -- however -- seems thats not so easy ! Tom at accurate is backed up 12 weeks , LEE marks everything sold out.

In the meantime try a shim between the mold blocks!!!!. if the couple bucks for a piece of 9thou shim steel is an obstacle use a piece cut out of a bean can or a beer can . Cast with pure lead so it dont run between the blocks - it might work (I know for sure 5 thou works) if its no good how much did it cost to find out?

Quote Originally Posted by indian joe View Post
    i agree, get a rifle to fit the mold and another mold for the remmy capgun -- however -- seems thats not so easy ! Tom at accurate is backed up 12 weeks , LEE marks everything sold out.

In the meantime try a shim between the mold blocks!!!!. if the couple bucks for a piece of 9thou shim steel is an obstacle use a piece cut out of a bean can or a beer can . Cast with pure lead so it dont run between the blocks - it might work (I know for sure 5 thou works) if its no good how much did it cost to find out?
    Well I just cast some up with a shim, ill let them cool a bit so I can measure, I used a 10 thou shim, no finning at all.

Well I measured them, .454 on one half and the original.445 on the other. I did think it was a great idea. I did try loading them into the cylinder, if you clock the RB right you get a lead ring, rotate it 180 and it just slides right in. I really dont want to remember to clock them properly. Ill ad tin to my pure this weekend and give it a go. Thank you for all the great suggestions!

Boolit Master
    Well I measured them, .454 on one half and the original.445 on the other. I did think it was a great idea. I did try loading them into the cylinder, if you clock the RB right you get a lead ring, rotate it 180 and it just slides right in. I really dont want to remember to clock them properly. Ill ad tin to my pure this weekend and give it a go. Thank you for all the great suggestions!
    Well we learnt something about shimming a mold and pure lead anyway!
    Worth one more try with a bit of tin in the mix maybe ?
    The mold I shimmed was right size in one half the cavity and too small on tother half - I guess that let it fill out to correct size with the shim in it .

Another thing to try is put them balls in a canvas bag and rumble em round in there - they will come out with lil dimples all over and it evens things out some (I doubt will fix the problem but might make a little improvement - well worth a go if you get a bit of a feather on the next lot with alloy).

Boolit Buddy
    I’m interested to know what rifle would wo for a cast rb of .445. I’m very new to Muzzleloading.
    The two 45's on my rack both shoot 445 balls and both with 017 pocket drill. One TC barrel and one GM.

Boolit Master

Southern Middle Tennessee/ Hillsboro Alabama
    I recently purchased a 454 Lachmiller round ball mold from a member here. I don’t think it was ever used. The mold is stamped 454, but after casting with it this morning I measured a few and they were .445. They fall right to the bottom of the cylinder of my 1858 Remington. Since it’s a steel mold, will beagleing it work to get it to .454? The lead cast was from rolled lead flashing. I cleaned my lead pot out before casting. Any advice would be great. Thanks.
    Mis stamped, they flipped the last two digits . Might get Lyman to re cherry the mould , they likely are the ones who made it. You could also check with Dixie,Turner used to carry mold blanks and cherries to finish them with .
    Grumpy Old Man With A Gun....... Do Not Touch !!

Boolit Master

Lyman won't do anything for you.
    Owned by investment group now.
    Customer service no longer exists.
    Technical Service doesn't exist either.
    Just female order takers that wouldn't know a bullet mold from a hot rock.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Master
    For what it's worth I just measured a new factory box of Hornady .454 round ball and they are not round. They have some sort of dry lube. .452-.458 #6070
    Last edited by 45DUDE; 06-04-2021 at 03:27 PM.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 45DUDE View Post
    For what it's worth I just measured a new factory box of Hornady .454 round ball and they are not round. They have some sort of dry lube.
    dry lube is graphite. and their QC has gone to the dogs

Boolit Master
    Another trick remembered is lay a file on the bench set ball on file take 2nd file lay on top of file and roll . It will increase diameter for sure but still is not as beneficial as powder coating /different colors for different balls/Ed

Boolit Master
    If I want to check out what max. Or average size a mold casts , I just do some castings with Cerosafe.
    The castings show the Exact Size and shape of the mold.
    Plus any defects like old rusted spots on iron mold blocks.

Well I found a 454 Lee 2c rb mold, also a lee conical mold for the same application. Since I have this beautiful Lachmiller mold that casts perfect .445 round balls now I’m in the market for something I can utilize them with. In my searches I’ve discovered the 32 Muzzleloading rifle. Correct me if I’m wrong, but it looks like a lot of fun. So, I need to find something that shoots .445 round ball And I really would be ok with a small bore. Suggestions?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12