MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Load DataWidenersLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Repackbox

Thread: 8x56R loads

Boolit Master

8x56R loads

Light loads, I should add.
    No more Nazi surplus ammo for me. I have some left, but I'm saving it to use against the UFOs in case the Slim Whitman music doesn't work.
    There's lots of info out there (and here) about loading the 8x56R (M95 Hungarian Chiropractor), and lots of different opinions.
    I made some bullets using the Lee .329" 205 gr mold. Probably a little undersized but I'll try them.
    So, does that round qualify for the Red Dot 13 grs "The Load"?
    12 grs of Unique pops up a few times.
    I see 2400 listed in several places, but I don't have any. What about IMR4227?
    I do have some IMR 4064 but I want light loads.
    H4895 can be reduced by 20% but I haven't found any data for that round.
    Last edited by Battis; 05-31-2021 at 07:17 AM.

Boolit Master
    The latest Rifle Magazine has an article on the 8x56R and lists three loads as follows:

205 Hornady 49 grs H-4895 2316 FPS

225 Prvi Partizan 49.5 grs IMR-4350 2052 FPS

265 cast w/gas check .331 dia. 13 grs Trail Boss 1062 FPS.

Hope this helps.
    BIG OR SMALL I LIKE THEM ALL, 577 TO 22 HORNET.

There seems to be general agreement on how unpleasant these are to shoot, especially the short rifle version, with full power issue ammo. Yes, I think the 12 gr. of Unique is a good place to start with cast bullets, as is the Red Dot load. I have my misgivings about the 49 gr. of H-4895, etc., I think you're about back where you started. "The Hungarian Chiropractor"...very funny!

DG

today it depends on the local availability of the powder, however Lee's formula allowed me to use 175 lead GCs in 8x57JS and about 200 lead GCs in 8x56R using reduced loads of Vihtavuori 140.
    minimum recoil and good accuracy, I often tested 8x57JS at 100 meters, in complete safety.
    the short Steyr wasn't mine, but the owner was equally satisfied at 75 meters.
    (I use a little ball of dacron on my redux, but maybe am me, and I'happy this way)

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...32#post5201732
    Last edited by wilecoyote; 06-05-2021 at 03:39 PM. Reason: dacron
    Food is overrated. A nice rifle is way more important.
    Rob

Boolit Buddy
    Sizing .338 win mag bullets is best.

Or go to the military rifle forum here and look for the sticky on cast boolits loads for military rifles.

Probably all the info you need for light vintage mid-caliber military rifle loads.

I'd cut and paste the address here but this weird little tablet I'm on right now won't let me.

It's got no sense of humor. It ought to know what I want to do.

For what it's worth I generally use 2400 in the 8x56R and a dozen+ other old and odd military rifles. It just meters so well, it's hard to beat.

Quote Originally Posted by Battis View Post
    H4895 can be reduced by 20% but I haven't found any data for that round.
    And the 4895 can actually be reduce further than 20%, straight from the horse's mouth:

https://hodgdon.com/wp-content/uploa...ifle-loads.pdf

Boolit Master
    I tried 12 grs Red Dot. It shot well. I never thought that shooting that gun would be fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Battis View Post
    I tried 12 grs Red Dot. It shot well. I never thought that shooting that gun would be fun.
    Welcome to mouse fart loads, it is the best. Inexpensive to shoot, you can shoot tons without being beat to death and it is easy on OLD guns and OLD guys.

I started looking for reduced loads ~15 years ago after shooting full house loads in my buddy's Ruger #3 in 45/70. About 3 shots and I was done for the day. 4.4 grains of Clays under a Lyman 457122 changed all that.

I've done reduced loads in everything from 22 Hornet(about 22 LR) to 470 Nitro Express and about 40-50 different calibers/gauges in between.

Number two fun thing in life you can do with all clothes on!

Boolit Bub
    I use the Lee 338-220 mould checked and sized to .338 over approx 24gr of 4227. Have not ran over chrono so this is not advice.

My bore is .331 and chamber can easily accept a larger boolit. Fired case mouths from ppu brass read about .343. I neck size and load using 338 RCM dies.

Boolit Buddy
    Yes, these rifles kick like two mules. It is one of the worst kicking military rifles I have ever shot. Looking at it, you would not think so. Doesn't mean I didn't shoot it.