MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataTitan ReloadingLee Precision
Inline FabricationReloading EverythingWidenersRotoMetals2
Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DA 45 Colt

DA 45 Colt

I've had a strong desire to get a new revolver recently. Found a guy selling a NIB Redhawk 45 colt, 5.5". He wanted $1100 that I initially scoffed at, but sure enough on GB that's what they're selling at. Strange, that some of the more affordable guns have almost doubled in price, yet I can still go order a Freedom Arms for what they were selling for a year ago. Value seems to be a moving target right now. Decisions, decisions.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    If you absolutely must have a DA revolver, for that kind of money you can buy a solid shooter grade Colt New Service. A former Brit .455 rechambered to .45 Colt has no collector value, so will go cheap at auction, whereas a former NYSP or RCMP .45 Colt will go high unless rode hard. Be advised that it is hard to find competent gunsmiths who do work on Colts, but there are a few near you.

The Redhawk is so heavy that it needs trunions welded onto it and a pony to tow it around...
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master
    Personally, I'm a fan of the S&W Model 25-5. Very nice and collectable .45 Colt handgun.

Don
    NRA Certified Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by USSR View Post
    Personally, I'm a fan of the S&W Model 25-5. Very nice and collectable .45 Colt handgun.
    Don
    I've got the 25-7 Mountain gun in 45 Colt and it is my favorite revolver. If you can find one, snap it up you won't regret it. Mine makes me look like I'm a shooter.

Boolit Buddy
    And my wonderful 25-9 came with my favorite barrel length, the 5 inch. A perfect packin' pistol!

+1 for the S&W 25-5

I'd stay away from the "new" version with the lock . Pay more & be satisfied .

Boolit Grand Master

Outpost75 is absolutely correct. Many years ago, I bought a new Redhawk in .44 Magnum. Being Stainless Steel, I bought it for my "bad weather" deer hunting handgun to alternate with my 8 3/8" Model 29. I scoped both of the handguns, and they worked perfectly for both nice weather (the Smith), and bad weather (the Ruger). I used the same across the chest Bianchi Nylon holster. They worked perfectly for their task and I still have both and treasure them. I have taken several deer with each.

However, by NO means were either of them "Perfect Packing Pistols". I used both of them in really rough country without issue with the across the chest holster.

However, if you need a "Perfect Packin' Pistol" neither will do.

This is not a good time to find any particular handgun. However, there are handguns out there that would be perfect as a daily "Perfect Packin' Pistol" in .45 Colt that would serve your needs. Do NOT discount a Ruger SS Flattop Convertible in .45 ACP/.45 Colt. They DO fall into the Perfect Packin' category and I believe you might be able to find one at a decent price (at least by today's standards).

I DO have a Ruger SS Bisley Convertible .45 ACP/.45 Colt. It is the cover gun on the Cast Bullet Association's Magazine, Journal #255 (September-October 2018) with an in depth article with loading data, inside. The later issued Ruger Flattop as described above is on the Ruger Mid-Sized frame and would be a bit more portable. I REALLY like my Convertible as it is truly practical and useful. Range use I typically use the .45 ACP cylinder, but for large game the .45 Colt would be about as good as it gets. My Bisley is a "Tier III" gun and will handle Ruger only loads. The Flattop is a "Tier II" revolver and will NOT handle the Ruger only loads but is considerably stronger than a modern single action Colt and will safely handle serious loads for hunting.

If I did not already have a couple of Ruger Flattop .44 Specials I would have picked up a Flattop .45 Convertible when they hit the market. They are THAT good. Brian Pearce wrote a dandy article about the Ruger Flattop .45 Convertible in the Handloader. I believe you can still buy that issue from Wolfe Publishing. It could be worth your while.

Just a thought or two.
    Dale53

Boolit Master

Well GB isn’t the last word on gun values. It’s just shows what some people will pay for something that they want. Could be that it’s because they are so far away and it’s the only choice to get a certain weapon. Could be new gun buyers are still freaked out and buying whatever is there at whatever price it is. But GB adds costs to selling the weapon and the seller eats that and tried to pass that along to the buyer. Far from actual value of the weapon.

I tried to trade with someone locally and they wanted GB pricing for their pistol. I showed them where my trade was this value in the BB Gun Trader and his was this and I was willing to pay the difference in cash. After explaining to me that the BB is trash and his was going for “this amount” on GB, I looked and saw that indeed his price was also the asking price not the selling price. But decided to use the same “value scale” he wanted and priced my pistol at GB prices and showed him the links. All I got was “I can get that pistol at Rural King for $$$!” Well yeah at one time you could. And that was the original price I had it at. But I’m not going to use two different “value scales” when trading.

So with that said, maybe you can find a common reference piece to value both the RH at.

But I have to agree with everyone else and say the SW 25 or Colt New Service is a better choice at that price range. Or just wait it out and when revolver prices get back to normal, buy then. The RH isn’t a highly valued piece by the internet commando squads, so it’s used value will drop back down to normal prices soon.
    I'll be needing that for squirrels and such.....

Thanks for the sage advice, gents. The M25 and mid-frame Blackhawk are both on my want list too. Patience has never been much of my strong suit, so thanks for the reminder to exercise it!

If you're looking for a shorty, Charter makes the Bulldog in 45 Colt

Looks like quite a hand full

https://charterfirearms.com/collecti...ts/model-74530
    The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government.
    -- Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Buddy
    When S&W came out with there 625 Mountain Gun in 45 Colt I picked one up. It doesn't get anything exotic just the RCBS 45-270-SAA. This fits the Smith pretty well.

Boolit Buddy
    There are quite a few powders that will give you 1,000 fps with the 270-SAA and still stay within Tier II loads. There ain't much a 275-280 gr bullet at 1,000 fps won't do in an accurate DA handgun.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    If into single-actions, current production of Pietta and Uberti Colt clones are entirely acceptable and affordable, as is the Ruger Vaquero. I prefer the Ruger for its ruggedness and durability, but with standard-pressure .45 Colt loads, or .45 ACP with an extra fitted cylinder the Italian re-pops are a bargain, although you will probably need to reduce the height of the front sight to zero.

Attachment 283805Attachment 283806
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Outpost75 View Post
    If into single-actions, current production of Pietta and Uberti Colt clones are entirely acceptable and affordable, as is the Ruger Vaquero. I prefer the Ruger for its ruggedness and durability, but with standard-pressure .45 Colt loads, or .45 ACP with an extra fitted cylinder the Italian re-pops are a bargain, although you will probably need to reduce the height of the front sight to zero.
    +1 on the Italian SAA's. I bought my brand new Pietta for $450. And, Ed is exactly right on the front sight needing height reduction.

Don
    NRA Certified Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Boolit Buddy
    black mamba, powders HS-6 at 950 fps and under the 23,000 psi limit of the 45 ACP +P. Bullets actually weigh at 285 grains.

Quote Originally Posted by oldhenry View Post
    +1 for the S&W 25-5

I'd stay away from the "new" version with the lock . Pay more & be satisfied .
    I'm not convinced that the lock is an issue (it hasn't been with my gun) I don't notice the lock at all on my 25-7. I haven't got thousands of rounds downrange through it but I shoot it quite a bit with mid range velocity loads and no issues.

Boolit Grand Master

Outpost75;
    I have a Cimmaron .44 Special Single Action with a 4 5/8” barrel. It is a BEAUTIFUL critter and shoots extremely well. It came with a clean trigger pull (almost too light). However, it has a copy of a Generation 1 Colt sights and that is a serious flaw. The first two weeks I had it, the flat main spring broke. However, I called the Distributor and they replaced the mainspring very quickly under warranty. They stepped up to the plate quickly and I have had no problems since. However, due to the poor sight picture I seldom shot it compared to my Rugers.

The modern Ruger Single Actions have EXCELLENT fixed sights with a GREAT sight picture. My first fixed sighted centerfire Ruger Vaquero required me to lower the front sight to center the POI at 25 yards for my chosen load, but it was simple as the windage was perfect for my eyes. I later replaced the Vaquero with a Bisley Vaquero and that near perfect piece shot dead center at 25 yards right out of the box.

Of course, being a Ruger, it required a trigger job. I won a number of Black Powder Cartridge Pistol matches with that great handgun and still have it. I was able to work up a “matching” smokeless load that simplified practicing. That way, I didn’t have to fully clean every time I went to the range. I have a great appreciation for the black powder .45 Colt, but the necessary cleaning protocol can get tiresome. This way, I had the best of both worlds (practice with smokeless and shoot for record using black in the BP matches).

FWIW
    Dale53

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Outpost75 View Post

Attachment 283805Attachment 283806
    Since the OP specifically asked about DOUBLE ACTION I doubt he wants a SINGLE ACTION.

A DA 45 Colt revolver is one of those guns I'd love to have. I don't currently own any 45 Colt handguns.

I want/need something with adjustable sights. I'm really leaning towards a RedHawk as you can load them to any level you might possibly need.
    NRA Benefactor.

The Charter large bore snubbies are really nice additions to the market place.

Boolit Buddy
    I shoot two Rugers in 45lc, but my favorite is my S&W 25-5 pre-lock.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast