Load DataReloading EverythingRepackboxSnyders Jerky
WidenersRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Inline Fabrication Lee Precision
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Advice wanted for a 458 wm build...

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by ulav8r View Post
    Torque definitions: n. The measure of a force's tendency to produce torsion or rotation about an axis, equal to the product of the force vector and the radius vector from the axis of
    rotation to the point of application of the force; the moment of a force.
    n. A turning or twisting force.

The torque of a bullet has no practical effect. The energy measured in foot pounds does have effects on impact with a target.
    I once shot a shoat and it flipped backwards... does that count?

Pacomdiver: I did look into the 458 socom and it does interest me, however if the round doesn't take off how would I get more brass. There isn't much on the shelves now of course, but even when fully stocked I haven't seen 458 Socom ammo out here in the sticks. That is my concern with the 450 Marlin too. I have decided to go wildcat and have the gun built as a 458x2 American (will actually be a little longer, I think a 450 Marlin reamer will be used but stopped short to allow the use of standard belted brass.) At least with this wildcat I could probably find all the brass I'd ever need under deer blinds.

Boolit Bub
    https://www.ch4d.com/

saving this here for latter

theres always guys selling new or used brass on gunbroker or ar15.com. ive found emptys at the 2 ranges i belong to, almost enough to tempt me to build a 700 to use them.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by pacomdiver View Post
    theres always guys selling new or used brass on gunbroker or ar15.com. ive found emptys at the 2 ranges i belong to, almost enough to tempt me to build a 700 to use them.
    If I start seeing the 458 SOCOM more around here maybe I'd build one... On an AR though

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by mbarasing View Post
    Thanks for the recommendation, I'll look into it.
    @Tatume: I have read Mathews' book but must have missed that part. I haven't read thru all the letters yet, so perhaps it's in there. Good read, thank you.

Boolit Bub
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	458x2_Specs.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	36.8 KB 
ID:	284336

The proposed reamer specs for the build

Boolit Mold
    Try loading the 458WM with Trailboss powder

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by mbarasing View Post
    I have decided to go wildcat and have the gun built as a 458x2 American (will actually be a little longer, I think a 450 Marlin reamer will be used but stopped short to allow the use of standard belted brass.) At least with this wildcat I could probably find all the brass I'd ever need under deer blinds.
    I think this is a good option. If you use a 450 Marlin reamer and set headspace using a regular magnum gauge you will never have any case shortages. The capacity is adequate for your application and the 450 Marlin has a well designed throat. You can use inexpensive 450 Marlin dies and of course the wide range of 458 pills and moulds that are available. You just need to make sure the twist rate you select is fast enough to stabilise long pills at subsonic speeds. If you base it in a short action bolt gun you can load to a min of 2.8” which offers a lot of loading flexibility.

I’m thinking the old 458 Gould design (about 350 gr HP) would be ideal for your application.

Boolit Bub
    Took 14 months to get stamps and couple more to get built, but here they are.

A blue 6.5 creedmoor, and
    a tan .458 x 2" American

Name:	6.5_scaled.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	42.3 KB 
ID:	305899

Name:	687453939 (1).jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	80.9 KB 
ID:	305900

And here is where all the magic happens:

Name:	20221014_095151.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	107.1 KB 
ID:	305901

I'm heading out hunting soon but this winter I'll be back here to start reloading and get more advice. I bought a setup and dies but haven't begun yet.

Hope you like the pics.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345