RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationRotoMetals2
WidenersLee PrecisionLoad DataTitan Reloading
Snyders Jerky Reloading Everything

Thread: Never Forget No Matter Where They Rest

Boolit Grand Master

Never Forget No Matter Where They Rest

Wife and I have adopted a couple of abandoned graveyards. Each Memorial Day we place flags. We remember all who served and those that paid the ultimate price.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	thumbnail (4).jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	59.5 KB 
ID:	283730
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	thumbnail (5).jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	44.6 KB 
ID:	283731
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Thank you, jonp.

DG

Dittos.

Boolit Master
    Amen. Frank

Boolit Master

Thank you

Boolit Master

For 28+ years I visited an abandoned and forgotten graveyard in the upland from Fair Forest Creek, Union, SC. There, with weathered and illegible markers, lie the makers of a life forgotten that has in part led to the landscape of today. Those Pioneers were the developers of a new land, to them. History does not record their passing, though without them we would be a poorer lot of slobs.

I sit in church and imagine the pews stretch beyond the walls and into infinity. On them, still with us in Spirit, sit the tens of millions who have passed this way before us. A sobering thought.
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Land Owner View Post
    For 28+ years I visited an abandoned and forgotten graveyard in the upland from Fair Forest Creek, Union, SC. There, with weathered and illegible markers, lie the makers of a life forgotten that has in part led to the landscape of today. Those Pioneers were the developers of a new land, to them. History does not record their passing, though without them we would be a poorer lot of slobs.

I sit in church and imagine the pews stretch beyond the walls and into infinity. On them, still with us in Spirit, sit the tens of millions who have passed this way before us. A sobering thought.
    Nice sentiment. Thanks to all who gave their all for the rest of us. You will not be forgotten.

A lot of my ancestors are in a private cemetery way off the main road. Only been there once, couldn't find it again. Kids had turned over a lot of the marker and broken them a couple of decades ago. I expect that it is overgrown and lost now. But I guess thinking about those I've never met keeps their memories alive just a tiny bit. We are all ashes and dust down the road.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    As the sun rose today, I, as a Vet, always rise early & sit & reflect quietly.

I think about the fact that many in my family served in various branches of Service,, and fought in different wars. And, I thank the Good Lord,, that we only lost (1) with all our service. One of my Dad's brothers, on D-Day, in Normandy. And, as I sit & reflect upon it all,, I think of the millions who have died in service to this great Country. I give thanks to all of them.

So, as my day progresses,, I will putter around my home, tinkering on things I want to play with. But tonight, I'll sit in front of the TV, watching the Memorial Day Concert in Washington, as Miss Penny & I do every year. And again, I'll silently say my "Thanks brothers!"

Boolit Buddy
    Amen.

Moderator Emeritus

We should never forget but it sure seems like the youth of today dont care....that is because our teachers are not really teaching history. In interviews with students wanting a scholarship I questioned them and they dont really mention WWII other than to say it happens.....plus when asked about the Constitution we were told that they were only taught the Preamble and the First Amendment....it is no wonder that our military is not celebrated and those that made the ultimate sacrifice are not remembered as the hero's they are!
    When guns are outlawed only criminals and the government will have them and at that time I will see very little difference in either!

"Within the covers of the Bible are the answers for all the problems man faces." President Ronald Reagan

"We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the law breaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is acoutable for his actions." Presdent Ronald Reagan

Our home is bordered on two sides by cemeteries. They are always busy on this weekend. They are filled with family members of the deceased and with people and groups paying tribute to those who served and died. As the cemeteries are peaceful and quiet the remainder of the year I often walk through them and read the headstones. I reflect on the lives of those who died during their service to this great country. I greatly appreciate the sacrifices of those soldiers & sailors who committed themselves to the defense of our great country. Without them we would be worse off. Thank you to all who are serving, have served and especially to those whose lives were lost in the defense of our country.
    Last edited by LaPoint; 05-31-2021 at 10:11 AM. Reason: spelling

Moderator Emeritus

Yesterday I went to the cemetery to clean up my uncles and grandparents graves, planted flowers, placed flags on 2 dozen graves that didn't have one. Some of the graves there date back to the Sioux Uprising, we are down to 6 names we haven't managed to pull up off the weathered stone. We have an inkling of who it is based on newspaper death notices of the time but can't assign a name to a certain grave. Sometime this summer they are going to xray the stones to see if they can pull up parts of the names. Rest we pulled up via pencil etching on paper taped over the stone, and int he last 10 years I pulled some up via photo manipulation under bright lights shining down from above at night for max contrast. I used a stacking technique to combine 10 exposures then pushed exposures to the max in Photoshop.

Private Robert Brown, killed in Korea when they were over ran by the North Koreans/Chinese. Buried at Fort Ridgely State Park Cemetery in MN, used to be a national cemetery but was transferred to the state and locals.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Handloader109 View Post
    But I guess thinking about those I've never met keeps their memories alive just a tiny bit. We are all ashes and dust down the road.
    When the last person with an actual memory of you or me passes, we too will be extinct - in memory alone. Whatever we did that left a trace, better traces in modern times than old, will remain, but will gather dust as few, if any, will ever look at those records again.

Quote Originally Posted by buckwheatpaul View Post
    We should never forget but it sure seems like the youth of today dont care....that is because our teachers are not really teaching history. In interviews with students wanting a scholarship I questioned them and they dont really mention WWII other than to say it happens.....plus when asked about the Constitution we were told that they were only taught the Preamble and the First Amendment....it is no wonder that our military is not celebrated and those that made the ultimate sacrifice are not remembered as the hero's they are!
    WE must teach them on OUR WATCH. At every turn, around every every corner, there is a teachable moment. Some will listen. Others will not. Still, the EFFORT MUST BE MADE. It is all that we can do.

Too bad that so many (for some) come to the funeral to help 6 carry you to the grave, and feel bad about what they SHOULD HAVE DONE before you passed.
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Master

My family has served this nation since before it was free from England. I myself gave 7 years to a nation I still try to relate to what has changed. I have two grandchildren today in uniform and pray they never see what I and may others in family have seen serving America. God bless all who have died while serving and to those currently serving may the Lord God keep you safe and bring you home to loved ones. May all who served and came home find peace in the fact they are still here and tell all who will listen what War is like and the terrible price it asks to those who want nothing but peace.
    Beware of a government that fears its citizens having the means to protect themselves.
    NRA Patron member
    Veteran