Load DataSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionWidenersRotoMetals2
Inline Fabrication Repackbox

Thread: 9mm shooters + red dot

9mm shooters + red dot

I am looking for a 9mm load to practice with my duty guns (im a cop). I rin a Glock 34 gen 5 and i have a Staccato on order. I havent loaded much 9mm before, but i made the switch to it earlier this year simply for ease of shooting and round capacity. I have lots of red dot and some unique as well. Oh, im interested in powder coating, and i do not own a 9mm mould. What u got?

Sent from my SM-G892U using Tapatalk
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far"
    Theodore Roosevelt

USMC 77, USRA 79

a lot depends on what sorta primers you have for Red Dot. 9mm can be a bit challenging to get right, but can be done. cast bullet handbook lists several loads using Red dot... the lyman 358242 runs between 4-5gr of red dot.. you would need to settle on bullet size, and whats available.
    Any technology not understood, can seem like Magic!!!

I will love the Lord with all my heart, all my soul, and all my mind.

Boolit Buddy
    Been having good results with Red Dot, have lots of it too! With a cast RCBS bullet of Linotype, 124 grains with gas check, 4.0 grains of Red Dot works great. At 7 yards from my Ruger SR9, 1 3/4 groups consistently. Using Federal small pistol primers. I'm sizing to .357" and using a Lyman M die to flair the mouth. Crimp is with a taper crimp die to just straighten out the mouth flaring.

From older Ken Waters Pet Loads data he found SR 4756 to be excellent with lead alloy bullets but that out of production. Send me a PM me if you have questions.

115 grain coated boolits from Casting Machine (look in our Swapping and selling section), OAL set to match some factory ammo I had lying around, and propelled by 4.6 grains of Red Dot. Shoots great, and has run flawlessly in everything from micro-compacts to SMGs. I've also substituted 115 GR FMJ projectiles, with the exact same results.

4.0 Red Dot has worked well for me with any bullet I have used it with in the 9mm.
    "Experience is a series of non-fatal mistakes"

Disarming is a mistake free people only get to make once...

I don't shoot Red Dot , but the 120 gr Lee TC over Unique is my go to practice load in my EC9s . I just use my standard ACWW with 2% tin added , I shoot as cast and lubed in a .358 size die with 2500+ .

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
    Jesus said ( Come unto me, all ye that labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest ) Matt. 11:28

Boolit Master
    I shoot the lee 356 - 120 tc lube grove cast boolits sized at .3575 -.358 with 3.8 red dot quite a bit . I can go a little faster or slower with reliable function , but 3.8 is a fun pleasant load for myself and my wife .
    Lube is C Red - cast with 50/50= coww / soft
    Lee 6 cavity

Moderator Emeritus

I like Red Dot for light boolit weight for caliber, light revolver loads (357 Mag and 41 Mag and 44 mag).
    I haven't tried RD in 9mm.
    Unique is my goto for 9mm, 4.6gr pushing a 130gr boolit (NOE 128gr SWC) ...I just loaded 1K this way, last week.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by toallmy View Post
    I shoot the lee 356 - 120 tc lube grove cast boolits sized at .3575 -.358 with 3.8 red dot quite a bit . I can go a little faster or slower with reliable function , but 3.8 is a fun pleasant load for myself and my wife .
    Lube is C Red - cast with 50/50= coww / soft
    Lee 6 cavity
    +1 for Red Dot/Promo 3.8 gr under a 120 gr boolit in 9MM. Very accurate with perfect function using Lyman 358242 and 356402 and the Lee 120 TC.
    COME AND TAKE IT
    Let’s Go Brandon!!!!

Two of my favorite 9mm boolits are Lee 356-120-TC and Lee 358-125-RF. Powder-coated and sized to .357" these function 100% and are extremely accurate in all my 9's.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	greendot.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	89.1 KB 
ID:	283808 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	boolits.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	36.7 KB 
ID:	283812

Boolit Master

I have run 4grns of Promo/Red Dot under a 358-105 SWC in several 9mm pistols for quite a few years.