RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionLoad DataReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationTitan ReloadingWideners
Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Henry 45/70 Side Gate Done My Way

Henry 45/70 Side Gate Done My Way

Ok Guy's/Gal's

I did get my new Henry H010 side gate in. Before I shoot my guns there is always a few things that I do to them. First and most important thing is to cut the LOP down to 12.5" which is the first thing I also did on this new Henry. It is hard to match the finish up when you do this and if it did not have checkering I would just redo the whole stock. But did not want to mess the checkering up. It needs a little more sanding to get the sanding marks out but right now I am satisfied with it. I am only 5'5" tall so I have to have that shorter LOP or it feels like I am holding an 8' 2x4 on my shoulder.

Next I always like the way a saddle ring look's on a rifle, so I put them on all my lever's. Nothing but bling but I like them, and the beads are because of my wife being .25 American Indian. I enjoy Honoring her heritage.

I have found that out of all the sights I have tried and own from current to past, that I really like the Marbles Bullseye sight. They are really well made strong sights and easily get a great sight picture. So I also put one on this rifle, sighted in and works great as I already knew it would.

Finally I always wrap my Levers on all my rifles, then I keep them oiled up once in a great while to prevent rust. I am not sure what kind of twine/String this is but I have wrapped a couple levers with it and looks and works well.

Ok enough said so here are a few pictures of her, like I said stock could use a little more work.

Aim Small, Miss Small.

Sweet looking rig. How does she shoot?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Of course ammo and even primers are hard to find right now. But I shot 15 rounds out of her the other day after finishing the rifle. After sighting the rifle in shoots just as expected and had no problems. They wern't in the same hole but with the 45/70 that anticipated recoil is the reason I'm sure.
    Aim Small, Miss Small.

.45-70's can back off the boolit smartly.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Buddy
    Nice looking rifle with a personal touch.

If you need to match the buttstock color Birchwood Casey has a small bottle of water-based walnut stain that can be thinned as needed. To finish it TruOil cut 50/50 with paint thinner goes on with very thin coats that don't need to be worked in between coats or after and comes out with a more satin finish rather than the glossy one when used full strength. You can then add a couple thin coats to the rest of the stock to make the overall finish match. I have done a few thin coats on a number of old rifles as a touch up over existing finishes and found it to be compatible with any I have used it on.

Thanks guy's
    Especially for the info I may have to try that finish.
    Aim Small, Miss Small.

Boolit Master
    nice adjustments to make it fit you .

Boolit Master
    You can use the piece cut off the stock to test finishes. Home Depot, Lowe's, even Walmart carry multiple stains of different colors. You can take your buttstock piece and pick one or two that are close, sometimes a mix of two or three will get an exact match to the color you need. Due to recoil, I stick with lighter bullets, 300 grains, punch through elk and moose, haven't tried anything bigger, work fine on deer, haven't gone after pronghorn with it, mine is a 1980 Marlin 1895. I do cut off and add soft recoil pads on rifles to fit ME, most are too long to work the levers from the shoulder and I am 'average' height, 5'9". My wife's are shorter still.
    Last edited by MostlyLeverGuns; 06-08-2021 at 11:34 AM.

MostlyLeverGuns
    Thanks that's good advice.
    Aim Small, Miss Small.

Boolit Mold
    Nice gun, looks great. I’m looking to buy an octagon barrel version of that Henry sometime soon. I hope to put a Skinner receiver mount aperture on it. If you work up some 405 grain loads that group well in it, post up your results!

Boolit Master
    I'm surprised nobody mentioned this. A pad grinding jig is best, but not cost effective to only do an occasional pad job. Without a jig, tape is your friend when fitting a grind to fit recoil pad. First, when cutting off to shorten LOP, use a fine tooth blade and cut through a layer of masking tape to avoid chipping at the cut. Then, when roughing out the pad, wrap a layer of duct tape at the end of the butt to protect the finish. Grind carefully until you scuff up the tape, then remove and replace with a layer of masking tape. Again, grind until you scuff up the tape. Next step is to wrap the end of the butt with a layer of clear packing tape. Use a file wrapped with sand paper to take the pad down until you scuff the tape. Last step is to replace the scuffed clear tape with a new layer of clear tape. Just using fine sandpaper, go over the pad to even up any remaining marks from previous grinding. As long as you are careful to only scuff the tape, and not go through it, you will not have to attempt to match factory stain and finish.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    That’s a beautiful gun. I wouldn’t mind owning it!

Guy's
    Thanks for all the info. I have yet to sand it down further to take the sanding marks out. Been busy with other guns. I will maybe this week work on her some more. I will eventually get it right.

quak1
    You are correct about the tape. But I am never careful enough. I seem to scuff the finish at some point no matter what. Then the pad is never even with the stock. So I just put them together and sand them down together. Just kind of getter done guy.
    Aim Small, Miss Small.

Boolit Buddy

When doing buttplate work, I have used muffler tape, it is slightly thicker and more durable than other tapes.

Never knew anything like that even existed. Thanks
    Aim Small, Miss Small.

Boolit Master

Nice job.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Banned

Good job!

Boolit Grand Master

Nice ! Especially as it is yours and you like it !!
    Henry is doing all of us lever shooters good !
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Boolit Master
    I handled an octagon barreled version of that rifle at a lgo, and I find myself being drawn to wanting one! It's much lighter and handier than I expected, and just plain gorgeous.

fixit
    sounds like an itch that will need scratched sooner or later.
    Aim Small, Miss Small.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast