Load DataReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
Lee PrecisionInline FabricationTitan ReloadingRepackbox
Wideners MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where do you get your smelting burners?

Boolit Master

Where do you get your smelting burners?

I have been looking for a burner and something I thought would be an easy find used is impossible to find. I see them listed new but there are so many that I don't know where to start. I can see some are obviously nothing more than stove burners in a frame and probably way to light duty. Prices are also all over the board. I can fab up a pot frame to hold the weight of the pot, I just need a decent burner. I am not looking to do 1000 lbs. at a time, 250 lbs. max probably.

I've been using a beefed up turkey fryer. My fish cooker burner wasn't hot enough.

I've got my eye open for an old plumber's pot.

Good luck

Wes
    If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough.
    SASS 17373
    Proud Dad of a USAF Airman

Concho, Arizona. At home in the White Mountains at last. Formerly living in Mobile Alabama.
    I got a turkey fryer on Amazon.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Boolit Master
    I didn't need it,, but I recently bought a used, complete turkey frying outfit, in it's box, at Goodwill for $15. All it needed was to have the pot, the strainer & all that had been used cleaned. The inside of the pot was pretty clean,, but the outside had dried grease on it. But the burner & stand etc,, perfect condition. Heck, even the instructions were still in the box.
    I have bought a few over the years at yard sales & Goodwill, for myself & others. Look for the ones with heavy legs etc to support the weight. I currently have 4-5 burners. Of course,, I also cook stuff in my pots etc. I have cast iron for my lead!

You just have to be willing to do a little hunting around. Yard sales & thrift stores often get such things.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MOA View Post
    I got a turkey fryer on Amazon.

One of my burners is like this one. I added vertical supports along the back of the legs through the existing bolts between the bottom & top rings making each leg more like an obtuse triangle.

I also found a NIB burner with solid pencil steel type legs.

From what I see online, you can probably get a decent unit for about the same price of just a burner. You might also want to pay attention to how many BTU's the burner you choose is. Also you might find a wind screen that directs the heat better to your pot very effective & efficient.

I also think you want to go over 60K BTU's

https://www.google.com/search?q=Heav...fIsHTWVrmx6EsM

Boolit Master
    Going back through some of threads came across one where a member suggested a particular maker. Here is a link that will show you several different burners that may presently be available. Key factors are a wide base to be stable, and a strong base to avoid collapse when hot. Beyond that, look for the red valve on the pressure regulator. If it is gray, it is low pressure and may not get hot enough for your needs. If two are about the same, but one rated for more BTU, buy the larger capacity. You do not need to run it full open, but if you ever do need it, you already have the capability. Follow the safety suggestions and avoid the aluminum pots.

https://www.amazon.com/Bayou-Classic...660716&sr=8-29
    Last edited by Dusty Bannister; 05-29-2021 at 12:41 PM. Reason: oops, forgot link

I just use my roofing torch but a tiger torch would work to

Boolit Buddy
    A burner out of a propane water heater will work

Boolit Master

Crab cooker or turkey fryer.

You might/should strengthen the legs if you're going to do 250 lbs.
    NRA Benefactor.

Boolit Master

10-12 years ago, found an old, rusty (antique?) 2-burner plumber's furnace at a builder's salvage yard for (IIRC?) $25. Cleaned it up and converted from LP to natural gas by changing out burner orifices. Been using it, along with an $12 dutch oven from a yard sale ever since.

Bill
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

Banned

I ue wood fire and an old Dutch oven.

Boolit Buddy
    Bimus beat me to it. Check with a home store for a contractor / plumber changing out a gas fired water heater. The contractor / plumber may let you pull the burner from the old water heater for a pizza, case of beer or even a "thank you".

I bought my current burner from Sportsman's Guide about 7 years ago. It's pretty sturdy, and I think they had in mind for it to be used for outdoor cooking. They still advertise them once in awhile. I take it outside my shop and hook up the hose, regulator, and propane tank and it does a great job.

DG

Boolit Buddy
    I have two friends with turkey cookers. Get one that sets the burner up a bit higher, saves on your back.

I have a plumbers melting set up and it works ok, doesn't get too hot for sure. It is much slower at getting up to heat and melting large amounts of range scrap. I use it if I have smaller amounts to melt down.
    Last edited by Huskerguy; 05-30-2021 at 09:38 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    Greetings,

I bought a Nolan LinoType ReMelter. Holds 600 pounds and runs on three phase power. It has a drain that enters a trough, like a cement truck, to fill the ingot moulds. Oh yes, I did get three LinoType moulds with the ReMelter.

It looks the same as this one...

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pr...y-ovcj6-j5lk-p

Cheers,

Dave

Boolit Grand Master
    Turkey fryer and a dutch oven. Can do about 150 lbs at a time. Have a 15 gal. propane tank from a forklift I am planning on cutting in two. Should do about 300 lbs then, but will use two turkey fryer burners, for the support and the amount of heat I will need.

Boolit Master
    Thanks for all the quick replies. I was looking at the Bayou stuff and they seem to have quality equipment. I did notice where it said that one of them "will get hot enough to melt stuff............. Don't do it, just don't". Is that the disclaimer that they are covered if you roast yourself using one of their burners to melt lead?
    The stand is not really a problem since I will build one to go over/around the burner no matter what I get. I do NOT want a bucket of lead falling over on me. My left thumb is made up of skin from my butt due to a tipped over small pot and it poured right on my hand! I was 14 at the time and surprisingly you cannot tell it ever happened. It healed quite well. Of coarse that was 50 plus years ago. I had the lead cast of my thumb for a long time but it got lost in one of my many moves.

Boolit Grand Master

I built mine from some scrap angle, a 1/2" pipe nipple and a valve. Having a propane hose made cost more than the rest of it.

Boolit Buddy
    Turkey fryer, best value. I have a 13" wide diameter x 12" tall stainless pot with turkey fryer bottom pour and sliding tray assembly to pour, run about 1/2 5 gallon bucket at a time of wheel weights when I was doing them and skim off the top and keep filling up, could do about 1000# in a short period. Smokey and best done outdoors.

Boolit Bub

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	blue burner 2.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	55.5 KB 
ID:	283695

This is what I use, auction find, lots of heat and with a good wind shield works well enough for me.
    Made by Goss inc.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast