RepackboxLoad DataInline FabricationTitan Reloading
WidenersLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Snyders Jerky Reloading Everything
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

Thread: Is a .357mag needed? Why not a .38sp?

Northern Virginia, where the freeway does roam.
    I shot my 77-357 today at the range. I was enjoying the difference in power and sound between 2.5 grains red dot with 172 grain swc in 38 special versus 14 grains 4227 in 357 magnum with the same bullet.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Outpost75 View Post
    I seldom use full-charge .357s. If a #358429 Keith at 1000 fps won't do it I go straight to a .44 Mag. or .30-'06!
    Having now read this entire 7 pages of posts, I think this statement is the best answer to the OP's question. Is there much that a 358429 @ 1K not be able to handle? For hunting, I would think a 158gr cast of 20-1 and moving about 1050 w/ a cup point is about as close to perfection as one could hope. Of course, more is always better, but does anyone disagree with the fundamental thought to my statement?

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by zarrinvz24 View Post
    Having now read this entire 7 pages of posts, I think this statement is the best answer to the OP's question. Is there much that a 358429 @ 1K not be able to handle? For hunting, I would think a 158gr cast of 20-1 and moving about 1050 w/ a cup point is about as close to perfection as one could hope. Of course, more is always better, but does anyone disagree with the fundamental thought to my statement?
    That's really a loaded question. I guess I'll address "For hunting, I would think a 158gr cast of 20-1 and moving about 1050 w/ a cup point is about as close to perfection as one could hope."

Really it all comes down to accuracy. If your 357 shoots these light loads really well, then I suppose they would be fantastic for a lot of hunting. You'd probably see some expansion, and they would likely work well on deer. Usually I find stronger loads shoot better.

There's no such thing as perfection, it's all application. If were hunting something like turkey, I'd want a solid bullet to minimize damage. If I were hunting deer, this would be a fair choice, although I opt for a hollow point. I guess you could say your stated load is a fair do-all load, but close to perfection? I don't think so.

I normally shoot a mid range load in my old Ruger Security Six. My load is either an NOE or Lee 158 gr SWC over 5 1/2 - 6gr of Unique. I don't have a chrono, but estimate 950-1000 fps muzzle velocity out of the 4 inch barrel.

A lot of professional guides use the 357 Mag, never ran across one carrying a 38spl, yet. I carry a 357 as a backup. I prefer my 45-70 Mauser for serious work no need to worry at all about adequate
    “There is a remedy for all things, save death.“
    Cervantes

“Never give up, never quit.”
    Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567