Titan ReloadingInline FabricationLoad DataRotoMetals2
Reloading EverythingWidenersLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Repackbox Snyders Jerky
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Learned something new. Bitcoin

Boolit Master
    Reported in the finance papers that one of the big funds crashed a crypto and made billions from the deal ,while ruining small investors who lost 98% of their money .

I have never trusted the value of anything that I can not physically touch and that includes cash from anywhere. I invest in tangible things that historically appreciate. Yes, even tangible items can devalue for different reasons but look around the globe and you'll see examples of money that has become essentially worthless everywhere.
    No way will I ever knowingly make any investment or consider any crypto currency worth anything at all.
    Those of you who do I have no quarrel with, do whatever you believe is best for you. But it is not something I'm interested in at all.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Hannibal View Post
    I have never trusted the value of anything that I can not physically touch and that includes cash from anywhere. I invest in tangible things that historically appreciate. Yes, even tangible items can devalue for different reasons but look around the globe and you'll see examples of money that has become essentially worthless everywhere.
    No way will I ever knowingly make any investment or consider any crypto currency worth anything at all.
    Those of you who do I have no quarrel with, do whatever you believe is best for you. But it is not something I'm interested in at all.
    Friend of mine worked for the US government doing statistical analysis and she brings back currency from around the world. She gave me a 1,000 Indonisian Rupiah bill... 6.7 cents in US money!!!! When she gave it to me it was 25 cents... that was 10 years ago...

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by MaryB View Post
    Friend of mine worked for the US government doing statistical analysis and she brings back currency from around the world. She gave me a 1,000 Indonisian Rupiah bill... 6.7 cents in US money!!!! When she gave it to me it was 25 cents... that was 10 years ago...
    I happened to be easing my way around Africa doing stuff and picked up a $1,000,000 Zimbabwe note. It's in my hunting camp so i can always claim i have a million dollar hunting lodge
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Master

In the original Maverick TV Shows, for the first few episodes the recurring theme was Maverick (James Garner) always pinning a $1,000.00 bill into the inside of a pocket so he would always have a stake for his next gambling opportunity. Back in 2009 a friend gave me a paper Zimbabwee currency (Bill). I have carried that bill in my pocket ever since; as a reminder of how our US Currency could be devalued by our elected officials through bad fiscal policy. The note appears in the following photos:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2205.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	76.5 KB 
ID:	304472
    Attachment 304473

Notice the value on the face of the note! That's 100 Trillion Zimbabwe Dollars!.

If you've wondered what a Zimbabwe One Hundred Trillion Dollar Banknote looks like, you have come to the right place. Zimbabwe experienced a period of hyperinflation spanning a few decades that culminated in 2008 with the introduction of the 100,000,000,000,000 banknote. Currency in Zimbabwe was so devalued that you needed a big stack of high denomination bills to buy a loaf of bread! Only a few million copies of the banknote were ever produced up until 2009.

A little history lesson behind the banknote: The Zimbabwe Dollar was established to replace the Rhodesian Dollar and to signify the nation’s independence from the UK in 1980. It was redenominated 3 times until its eventual collapse in 2009 due to hyperinflation caused by the unregulated printing of money, the Land reform program, and involvement in the Second Congo War. Today, Zimbabwe has a multi-currency economic system set in a place where money from around the world has become legal tender.

On the obverse of the 100 Trillion Zimbabwe Dollar we can see the famous Chiremba Balancing rocks from Epworth, a Harare Province. These rocks are said to represent the delicate balance between man and nature. This banknote also has a hidden watermark that displays a complete denomination when held up to a light source.

The letters RBZ repeat along the left side of the banknote and are printed in gold color-shifting ink. Lastly, we can see an underprint of a cow with grains and a color-shifting security ink featuring the country’s official emblem, the Zimbabwe Bird.

The reverse of the banknote features Victoria falls and a cape buffalo. Victoria Falls, or known by the locals as the Smoke that Thunders, was named in honor of Queen Victoria by David Livingstone in the mid-1800’s.

On certain months, the river’s current becomes low enough that visitors can swim near the edge on what has been dubbed “ the Devil’s Pool”.

The cape buffalo is an African bovine that can reach a length of 10 feet, a height of 5 feet, and weigh almost a ton! The cape buffalo is infamous for attacking hunters and reports claim that they kill or injure more hunters than any other animal in Africa.

The Zimbabwean Reserve Bank printed different variants of the 100 Trillion note, each with the same Chiremba balancing rocks on the obverse.

I noted that on the Internet; there are offers of $384.00 for a new/good condition for these notes. I would not part with mine for any amount; because it is a constant reminder to always be distrustful of Politicans and that governments can be corrupt and steal the chicanery all that the populace owns.
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Boolit Master

Article from back in June, but more relevant today. It's a video of what is deemed to be the "new" world reserve currency. BRICS anyone?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3CtzZADnea0

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345