Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
Titan ReloadingWidenersReloading EverythingLoad Data
Repackbox RotoMetals2

Thread: Taylor (Uberti) 1873 357 Mag - Opinions

Boolit Bub

Red face Taylor (Uberti) 1873 357 Mag - Opinions

Have a 1873 available at a LGS new. Price is normal for this gun from what I have seen. What are the opinions of the Uberti overall and if anyone has experience with it specifically in 357 I would be interested to hear accuracy, function etc. Gun looks really nice with the case colored metal and octagon barrel.

Boolit Master

They make nice SASS gun (traded my tricked out one), if your looking for a rifle to Hunt or Plink with get a Henry. I have a Big Boy in 357 magnum works great and will hold up longer than a 73. The new Henry black rifles are real nice if I didn’t have a Big Boy would get one of them.

I have one in 45 LC. Fantastic build quality, fit and finish. Accuracy is nice, points very well. Only downside is they're so good looking you might be scared to rough house with it.

For practicality, I'd agree with DannyD. The Henry will be cheaper, and it's a more robust design than the toggle link. Not quite as pretty, but still a great looking gun.
    MC-130J Driver
    Former T-6A Texan II Driver
    FAIP Mafia
    Hook 'em all

Boolit Master

I've had a Rifle and Carbine in .44-40 for 35 ? years,

Given great service, after many, many, many thousands of rounds. Probably because I've never allowed any ham-fisted baboon to "slick them up". Used them for Many years of Cowboy Shooting. Annual teardown and cleaning and a few mag springs.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Bub
    Thanks for the replies guys.
    I am looking at the Henry too. They happen to have the Uberti and Henry in both brass and black. All in the 357 mag. I already have a Marlin 1894 44 mag, 336 in 30-30. Was thinking the 357 more for plinking and some hunting. Basically it’s about $300 difference in Uberti to the Henry’s. Guess I got to decide. Accuracy wise do either have an advantage?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Dman75 View Post
    Thanks for the replies guys.
    I am looking at the Henry too. They happen to have the Uberti and Henry in both brass and black. All in the 357 mag. I already have a Marlin 1894 44 mag, 336 in 30-30. Was thinking the 357 more for plinking and some hunting. Basically it’s about $300 difference in Uberti to the Henry’s. Guess I got to decide. Accuracy wise do either have an advantage?
    Go with the black: I believe that one has the pistol grip stock.

The Big Boy will shoot to 100 or 150 yards all day. It does like a heavy bullet 180 flat nose works best for me.

Boolit Master
    I would look at the steel side gate Henry with a 16" round barrel. The ones with the octagon barrel are heavy pigs.

Boolit Master

Have torn into a couple Ubertis for various friends and family. Build quality is fantastic, and the "elevator" style of inline feeding very forgiving to bullet design. Capacity of the full length mag tube also nice.

I could not bring myself to buy a Henry. They do have a rep for functioning very well, but with the orange-peel paint on the cast receivers and plastic bands, they have all the class of a rust & primer Ford Pinto with a dead O-D'd drug addict and all his various fluids on the seat.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.