Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataWideners
Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingRepackboxRotoMetals2
Inline Fabrication

Thread: H&R bolt action 222 Remington.

H&R bolt action 222 Remington.

I haven’t seen the rifle yet but from what I have seen, this might be a 461 sako action. So I have Lyman’s 225415 gas check at 50 grain weight. If this has a 1-14 twist, a 50 grain bullet will probably be best. Any jacketed bullet loads that you guys favor? I am loading for a friend that did a big favor for me. Thanks ahead of time.
    Last edited by smkummer; 05-27-2021 at 06:20 PM.

Boolit Grand Master
    My long gone and sorely missed Remington 788 dearly loved the 50 grain Hornady SX in front of either 4198 or rated R amounts of AA-1680. Truthfully, I never found a load that rifle didn't like.

Wish I could find a .223 that shot as well as that inexpensive .222 Remington.

Robert

Boolit Buddy
    I tried a lot of different bullets and powders in my Savage 340 222 and most combinations shot well. H322 and IMR 4198 powders are legendary in the 222 and I found H4895 that I always have and use in a lot of mid capacity cartridges to work well with a range of bullet weights in the 222 and most loads are slightly compressed. The 340 is 1 in 14" and liked the Hornady 55gr SP which shot slightly better than the softer 55gr SX. A lower power load I liked for putting holes in paper was 15.0 2400 with the Speer 40gr spire pt bullet which chono'd at 3089 avg in the 24" barrel.

Boolit Master
    A 1 in 14 twist will handle bullets up through 55 gr. You get to try several bullet weights in search of what that individual barrel likes. I had a 22-250 that loved the Sierra 52 gr HP.

Boolit Master
    19.5 gr IMR 4198, rem 71/2 copper colored primer,rem cases and either the rem core lokt 52 grain bullet which they don't make anymore or Sierra 52 gr match hollow point. Shot great in my 788 in 222 rem. Frank

You're correct - H&R used Sako short actions for their .222 Model 322, which was issued with adj trigger & 24" bbl in 1973 (only).

They're pretty nice/petite rifles, but I can't help with loads, as I shot only commercial ammo in mine.
    Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Thanks guys