WidenersSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan ReloadingLoad DataRepackboxInline Fabrication
Reloading Everything Lee Precision
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I love steak, but

Boolit Grand Master

One of my Grandfathers cut meat for over 50 years. I have never seen anything that comes close to the meat that we used to get from him. RIP Grandpa!

Our local Kroger store here occasionally has some really good cuts of meat. And so does Sam's club if you're there at the right time.

I eat more red meat than whats really good for me. So what???

ADMIN

I get my steaks from a local meat market. They do really good on maintaining a even thickness.
    Now my wife on the other hand screws me.
    She likes inch thick ribeye steaks, well my daughter likes the thin NY strips, and I could careless what type of steak it is as long as its from that meat market.
    I guess I need to focus more on starting the thick one then tossing on the thin one later so they all cook the same and are done at the same time.
    Don't like being hammered by the Cast Boolits Staff, then don't be a nail.
    The rules are simple to follow.

Boolit Buddy
    i give up....what is a primal, never heard that said before.

ADMIN

Quote Originally Posted by green mountain boy View Post
    i give up....what is a primal, never heard that said before.
    ?????

On the other hand - check out the steaks at Costco -> https://www.costco.com/beef.html
    Don't like being hammered by the Cast Boolits Staff, then don't be a nail.
    The rules are simple to follow.

Boolit Master
    A primal is the whole section they cut the steaks out of. Before I had cows I would get them when on sale and cut my own steaks.

I grilled the last of my strip steaks tonight. So tender and flavorful. I think I have a locker date in early June. Need to check next week. I'm down to ribeye, sirloin and chuck roast.

Boolit Master
    I definitely understand why folks would recommend primals - but.... average folks will not know what to do with it. Similar to handing your average folks primers, powder, mould, and a bar of lead - turning"components" into what you're looking for - steep learning curve.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    Perhaps consumers are part of the problem. Maybe I’m just starting to sound like an old guy, but it seems to me that consumers of all different products, are willing to except lower quality than before. Maybe they have become used to cheap low quality since the invasion of Chinese imports.

Moderator Emeritus

We got half a cow a few months ago. Local rancher and butcher. So far everything has been great. Support your local economy if you can.

Boolit Master
    Wife and I pretty much stick to antelope and elk that we butcher ourselves, saves fussing about the store or butcher.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by cwtebay View Post
    I definitely understand why folks would recommend primals - but.... average folks will not know what to do with it. Similar to handing your average folks primers, powder, mould, and a bar of lead - turning"components" into what you're looking for - steep learning curve.

Primals are easy.

1. Get a sharp knife of the correct size
    2. Determine how thick you want the steak
    3. Slice
    NRA Benefactor.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Burnt Fingers View Post
    Primals are easy.

1. Get a sharp knife of the correct size
    2. Determine how thick you want the steak
    3. Slice
    I believe that this thread is based on the fact that it is not as easy as you would think.

I was going to suggest cutting your own from the primal cut also. That way they're always perfect. I wish I still had access to primal cuts, but I don't.

But you're wrong to say that oddball thickness cuts can't be cooked to perfection throughout. You're just using the wrong cooking method. Look into Sous Vide cooking. Then it gets finished off with a torch to develop the grilled flavor and to brown it. The result is the doneness you decide on (done in the Sous Vide apparatus) and the steak is done perfectly with no overdone grey meat at all.
    Last edited by BJK; 05-30-2021 at 09:13 AM. Reason: fixed typos

Boolit Master
    Having done a fair amount of meat cutting for myself and family, I can attest to the fact that it's not as easy as one might think. It starts with a SHARP knife, and so few people even know what that is, let alone knowledge of what a proper cut of meat looks like.

Quote Originally Posted by GregLaROCHE View Post
    It seems like good butchers are going the same way as good gunsmiths. Not many left and hard to find a good one. I’m not against paying more for quality, unfortunately, that doesn’t make it easier to find quality these days.
    Isn't there an app on your phone to make the steaks look better? Look at all the food pictures on FB.

Wayne
    What doesn't kill you makes you stronger - or else it gives you a bad rash.
    Venison is free-range, organic, non-GMO and gluten-free

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by GregLaROCHE View Post
    I love steak and eat a lot of it. Thick with bone in and a nice ring of fat around it is my favorite, but often I eat thinner steaks without the bone too. Adjusting temperature and cooking time, I can usually get them all to be medium rare, that I prefer, throughout.

However, I can’t stand steaks that are not cut the the same thickness. One side thick tapering down thinner to the other. It’s impossible to get the same amount of doneness throughout. It’s even worse when there is a bone in it and of course the bone is always the thickest part.

I’ve tried buying from all sorts of places and the most expensive are not necessarily the best. It seems like I’m getting more and more like that. Is this a new trend? Is it to make you think you are getting more? Have others noticed the same thing?
    Called no pride in your work and good help is almost non existent in todays work force/Ed

Boolit Master

Having been a meat cutter/butcher for near 45 years. Like any trade it requires a modicum of skill and training. All beef and most pork at the retail level in pre-packaged (vacuum) into sub primals. It usually requires that, in the case of a short loin or a bone in Rib a bandsaw to cut it into your Porterhouse and T-bones or a traditional rib steak. Knowing how to use a band saw isn't taught in the strictest sense of the word anymore because a meatcutter doesn't know how or is required to break down an animal. There isn't any boneless meat until you remove the bone. The majority of the boning operations are conducted at the slaughterhouse level. Think NY strip (boneless t-bone) or a Ribeye (boneless rib). Now a days, when the cutter at the Piggly Wiggly sees it for the first time it's in a plastic bag and all he/she does is open the bag and slice said piece up with a knife. Not much skill required. Most of the "meatcutters" I knew when I retired, didn't even know how to sharpen a knife or could tell you what part of the animal the cut came from. My apprenticeship lasted almost three years and it took me that long to learn all the aspects of being a fully trained meatcutter. There was also a bit more pride in your chosen profession years ago. Everyone I knew wore a tie to work regardless job. I did and so did Mr. Davis the local plumber. We were both professional tradesman and acted like it. I prided myself on doing a good job and being specifically ask for by a customer when they needed something special for a holiday gathering or church function, made me feel good and I wanted to please them. They were my customers and I wanted them to be happy so they would come back and I could have a job. This is the problem, its not the beef, it's the indifference our society has bequeathed to our citizens. The majority don't care what kind of job they do and the people in charge don't know because they weren't taught either. Sorry for the rant, bit close to home.
    Last edited by Jeff Michel; 05-30-2021 at 07:31 PM.
    “Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.”
    ― Mark Twain
    W8SOB

Moderator Emeritus

Jeff you are absolutely correct. There is also very little personal responsibility being taught/shown to kids nowadays. Their role models are all high paid babies who need to be woke over the latest whatever instead of admiring those that go to work and keep a family together and teaching real values. I am afraid it is going to get worse before it gets better.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12