RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionLoad DataTitan Reloading
WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
Repackbox
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Lever action 22 LR - Which one?????

Moderator Emeritus

I have a new Henry and my Marlin. Hands down Marlin. Good luck.

I only have a Winchester 9422, had it for over 30 years now. Very accurate, need no other. But I grew up on marlin model 60's and 70's, my brother's and I shot them till they wouldn't shoot no more. Still a model 70 hanging in the milkhouse for coon's and such, the sole survivor.

Thinking back now, It was the Remington Thunderbolts we shot. Thousands of them. Weekly trip to Farm and Fleet to buy them when we got our allowance. It was all us poor farm boys could afford at the time, They shot most of the time, crap ammo that they are, but it served the purpose at the time. Then I got a Winchester Ranger 30-30, and I was a big boy! LOL!

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Love my Henry H001T, and it shoots Thunderjams just fine. A new one will cost you the same as a really ragged 39 or 9422 and comes with Henry's great customer service backing it. The BL-22 would be my second choice, it's a super nice gun with Miroku quality at a very reasonable price. We have gotten a few of the Rossi guns in at my side job shop and I don't think they are a good value even if they shoot ok. They cost almost as much as the USA made Henry that they are loosely copied from and Rossi's QC and customer service doesn't have the best reputation.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Master
    The thing about a .22 RF is that it has to be accurate to be useful. Small game, small target. I always wanted a Browning, liked that short throw action. And I've shouldered a Henry youth model and thought it fit just fine. Make a very handy and portable .22. Whatever you decide to go with, I hope it is accurate. These days it may be difficult to try more than a few makes of ammo.

Marlin 39A. Love the pistol grip. Shot my late brothers Erma lever 22 ( now a Henry) and while compact and quality, I greatly prefer the Marlin 39A. After finding good examples at gun shows for others, I finally about 5 years ago got one for myself. It was slightly appearance challenged but for $250, I found a great deal with such a sweet action. I prefer it over the Mountie

My vote goes for the Marlin 39 A also. I bought my first one new in 1973 or 1974 and have shot the heck out of it and it’s very accurate. Just last month I went to a gun show and found a like new 39 A that just had a great look to it, nice dark wood perfect blue and I bought it just because ?
    I have shot most all of the common lever guns in 22 RF and really like the Marlin best. I have a Marlin 57 M in 22 mag and it’s a nice gun but still not the quality of the 39 . Just last fall I could have bought a Marlin 57 in 22 LR and a Ruger 96/22 at a great price but passed. Although the Henry, Browning, and Winchester are nice guns also the 39 A is just the best.

Jedman

Boolit Master
    The only lever .22 I have, currently is a Marlin 39A. I have had a Erma, Ithaca, Browning, and 2 Winchesters. The browning is my 2nd choice. I had one Winchester, a 9422 and it was a shooter. Traded it for 22-250. Got another 9422 XTR new in the box, was the worst shooting lever rifle I have ever had. It shot every brand of ammo at a different zero, by as much as 4" off, and would not do better than a 2" group sandbagged at 25yds. I called Winchester, they said sounded alright to them. I sold it at a gunshow. Around here you can still buy a slick 39A for $600-700, money well spent in my book.

My Browning BL-22 is very smooth and is accurate. Shoots 1 - 1 1/2" groups 5 shoots at 100 yards with midgrade ammo like cci green tag.

Boolit Bub
    I have a Marlin 39 Mounty and really like it but I always wanted a Winchester 9422. I think the Winchester is the most handsome of 22 leverguns but they are very pricey and the reason I have never owned one.

Boolit Man
    I have a Marlin 39A, Browning BL22 and a couple of Henrys. The Henrys were the best buy but not the best gun. The Browning is by far the most accurate and dependable of the others. The Marlin and Browning have had hundreds of bricks of WW Wildcats through them. The Marlin has been to the gunsmith twice but the Browning just keeps going and going. I’ve had the BL22 for 50 years. The Marlin was passed down from the FIL it’s about 50 years old between us.
    A bumble bee is considerable faster than a John Deere tractor

Well, I found a nice Marlin 39A Mountie. Picked it up today and didn’t have to pay a premium price. Action is smooth and tight. It has a couple of character marks on the buttstock, but in nice shape for an older gun.
    Does anyone know where I can trace the serial number to find year of manufacture..

Happy day!!!!
    Sam Sackett

Boolit Bub
    the marlin 39a or mountie is by far the best 22 lever today

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Sackett View Post

Well, I found a nice Marlin 39A Mountie.
    Does anyone know where I can trace the serial number to find year of manufacture..

https://oldguns.net/sn_php/marlinlookup.php
    Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Thanks!!! Looks like my new toy was made in 1969.

Sam Sackett

Boolit Mold
    I got a Henry h001 and I installed skinner sights to it. My own small game carbine!

Boolit Mold
    Christmas of 1979 I got a Marlin 39-M and my brother got a 39-A. I don’t know how many thousands of rounds they have sent down range. Never had any problems with either one. My brother passed away in 1991 so I now have both in my safe. They will passed down to my kids.

If you can find one you will not regret it.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    An Italian maker (Chiappa I think?) now has a lever action .22 out. I think it is a takedown like the Marlin, costs a little more than the Henry. Also thought I should add, if you plan to drill and tap for a receiver sight the Henry is a great choice. The part that would be drilled and tapped is not the serialized receiver but an aluminum cover so you could easily and cheaply replace it if you messed up or just wanted to keep an extra on hand. I have a Lyman 66 meant for the Winchester 94 on my Henry H001T and it works great, looks like it was made to be there.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Sackett View Post
    Thanks!!! Looks like my new toy was made in 1969.

Sam Sackett
    Let us know how it shoots. Also, the Marlin really breaks open nice for some serious cleaning.

Life has been in the way so far. I haven’t been able to shoot it. I did take it down and clean / relube the the internals. Love how easy it comes apart! How to take it out for its maiden trip soon. I have several brands in 22 shells, so I’ll try to give it a good workout.

Sam Sackett

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast