Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingRepackbox
Lee Precision Wideners
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Lever action 22 LR - Which one?????

Lever action 22 LR - Which one?????

I have been thinking of getting a lever action 22LR. I have handled the Rossi, the Henry and the Browning. They all seem to have about the same feel and I don't know which I would pick.
    The Rossi - the action felt good, but I'm not sure I like the light colored wood.
    The Henry - the action was similar to the Rossi and I liked the darker wood. Henry also has a lifetime warranty.
    The Browning - probably the smoothest action, but a couple hundred higher cost.

I'd like to hear what others think. Anyone have these, or maybe can speak of their preference and why?

Sam Sackett

I like the little Browning as the trigger drops with the lever - no pinched finger!

I like the Marlin 39A too, if you can find one reasonable.

Wes
    If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough.
    SASS 17373
    Proud Dad of a USAF Airman

FWIW, I've owned/shot/hunted with over 10 different brands of .22LR leverguns, and IMO the best in terms of finish/functioning/dependability was the Winchester 9422-XTR - well worth the cost....

However, the most consistently accurate /22LR levergun is a Marlin 39a. (I've owned several different examples over the years)

YMMV, but there's plenty of like-new examples in the marketplace.
    Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Master

Got a Henry .22 mag w/octagon barrel and wide loop. Good lookin Smooth action. Came with Skinner sights. Very accurate. AND not that expensive.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    My friend got a Henry a year ago and I liked it. I’ve starting looking hard at the ones with the brass receivers.

Yep. I also like the 94-22 and the 39A. But...... Seems like the folks that have them don't want to let them go. And the ones that are for sale seem like the owners are reeeal proud of them. That's what got me looking at the new ones.

Sam Sackett

Boolit Master

Win 9422 or Marlin 39.
    Had a Browning BL-22, I was so used to a full stroke on a Lever that I broke it. Browning fixed it for free and I sold it.
    Won a henry 22LR at a Cowboy shoot when they first came out. Didn't work for beans. Sold it straight away, never touched another.

Find a used 39 or 9422. Or a BL-22, lots swear by the short stroke. And they Are Good Guns.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Buddy
    I have fairly limited .22 lever experience, I had a 9422 when I was a kid and now my teenage son has a Henry youth model. When the Henry goes to the range there is normally 5 kids and 2-3 adults shooting it. The action is smooth as glass, everyone hits what they're aiming at and to date we have not had one issue with it. It's not my old 9422 but for $275 it's been a great stand in so far.
    Last edited by Cargo; 05-27-2021 at 05:25 PM.
    Cargo

Boolit Buddy
    My BL-22 is my only lever action. I love it and could shoot it as fast as a simi-auto. Kinda out of practice now though.

Boolit Grand Master
    My top four, depending on what is available would be the Marlin Model 39A, the Winchester 9422XTR, the Browning BL-22, and the Ithaca Model 72 (IIRC) it is what the Henry evolved from, made by Erma in West Germany.

After those four come all the rest. I don't like the plastic sights and barrel bands that were on the first Henry I bought, never had any of the later versions.

Robert

If you view life across the cover of your bank register, then get whichever interests you. Personally I’d rather view life across the top of a marlin 39s solid steel receiver.

I’ve had 3 Henry, a 9422, and a marlin 39AS. The 39 is by far the better gun. Better, not in the sense that it cost less, or shot better, but in overall workmanship and pride of ownership.

The Henry, frontier model, which has an octagon barrel and marble sights is a nice specimen though. Never had this model but if I get another it’ll likely be that.

I don’t like plastic sights or bands, or painted receivers. I can deal with the painted receiver better that the plastic though. I had a standard model and the carbine model with large loop. I was unimpressed with their accuracy. It’s been a while now, but best I recall, the carbine would miss a coke can at 25 yards some of the time. I don’t recall the other what it did or didn’t do.

The golden boy I had was a good gun, but the comb was too low to feel right. The plating started coming off the receiver cover too.
    Last edited by Bazoo; 05-27-2021 at 07:09 PM.

I have the plain Jane Henry H001 that I paid around $250 new. Not made like a Browning or Marlin, but for the price , hands down the best choice.

I don't shoot it a lot or any 22s for that matter but I've been happy with my old Ruger 96-22. Gp

Boolit Grand Master
    I have a NIB 9422, and like new BL-22 Grade II. They are too pretty to get dinged up so use the Henry...paid $200 for it and money well spent.

I need to sell the 9422 and Browning...

My advice is get the Henry. Decent rifle for the money. If cost is not too important, get the 9422.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master
    My first real .22 was a Browning BL-22. I have never had a problem with it, after many thousands of rounds through it, and killed probably close to a thousand jack rabbits with it ,and many more gophers.

I also have used a 9422, and consider it to be the best designed and toughest built lever 22 you can find. It is also the nicest looking of the bunch, unless you can find an octagon barrel Marlin 39.

While I really like the Marlin, my choice would be the Winchester 9422, if you can find one.

Boolit Master
    My BL-22 Browning was for me a bit too light for accuracy unless there was something I could use as a rest, then it was amazing. The Henry 22 may still have some "pot metal" internal parts (the Erma did). Nice Winchester 9422's sell for around $900 near me. Marlin 39's are hard to find.
    Good luck in your search for the one you like.

Banned

There is no other lever action .22 LR besides the Marlin 39A.

Boolit Master

Marlin 39A all the way. I've had one since 1966 and it has ruined me for any other, and I have shot quite a few .22's in my day. My 39A would outgroup a Winchester 52 that I had at one time. It is by far the most accurate .22 I have ever shot. I entered it in a .22 rifle match on a whim one saturday at a local club match. About 30 competitors and most shooting Anschutz, BSA's and a few custom made match rifles. My little Marlin strutted her stuff that day and it finished 3rd with a cheap Weaver .22 scope on it. I have since put a Leupold 2-7 Rimfire Model scope on it. It sits in Control bases and rings. Everyone that has shot that rifle has tried to buy it. It will leave my possession only after I cross over Jordan. james

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mk42gunner View Post
    My top four, depending on what is available would be the Marlin Model 39A, the Winchester 9422XTR, the Browning BL-22, and the Ithaca Model 72 (IIRC) it is what the Henry evolved from, made by Erma in West Germany.

After those four come all the rest. I don't like the plastic sights and barrel bands that were on the first Henry I bought, never had any of the later versions.

Robert
    I inherited an Erma, somebody wore it out before I got it - I did a rebuild and its a cool little lever gun - a new one of these would be nice - but junk metal reciever .....?
    Had a 250 winchester lever when I was young - same deal, alloy junk receiver, gun wore out, barrel and all looked good still.
    Got a Uberti 66 in 22lr in a trade years back - its my snake gun over summer - never saw another one of those but I like it .

Quote Originally Posted by pietro View Post
    . *snip* However, the most consistently accurate /22LR levergun is a Marlin 39a. (I've owned several different examples over the years).
    Double dittos re: the Marlin. If, God forbid, mine were to disappear in a blinding flash of burglary, I will buy a used 39a over any other .22 lever-gun I know of, price be dammed.
    Cognitive Dissident

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast