Load DataSnyders JerkyInline FabricationRepackbox
Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingWideners
MidSouth Shooters Supply RotoMetals2
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Shooting one handed and why am I wrong?

Boolit Grand Master

To answer your question; this is a thread on a forum, where questions, ideas, and opinions are shared. Kyle started a thread asking why he was wrong. Many tried to answer the question.

I don't care how anyone safely shoots. I do care enough to try and help to the best of my ability when questions are asked.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by megasupermagnum View Post
    To answer your question; this is a thread on a forum, where questions, ideas, and opinions are shared. Kyle started a thread asking why he was wrong. Many tried to answer the question.

I don't care how anyone safely shoots. I do care enough to try and help to the best of my ability when questions are asked.
    It became evident to me early on that he presented it as a question but one that he really didn't want an answer to.
    Could I have been wrong?

rhetorical question

When you ask a RHETORICAL OUESTION, you don't really expect an answer. Imagine your brother is blasting his music and you ask, "Could you play that music any louder?" You don't really expect him to answer — you just want him to turn it down.

When something is rhetorical that means it is made for style or effect, likewise a rhetorical question is a question that is asked for mere effect, rather than a question that needs to be answered. Questions like “Who knew?” or “Who's better than me?” are often rhetorical.

Another term we need to keep in tune with is: CONFIRMATION BIAS. Our tendency to cherry-pick information that confirms our existing beliefs or ideas. Confirmation bias explains why two people with opposing views on a topic can see the same evidence and come away feeling validated by it. This cognitive bias is most pronounced in the case of ingrained, ideological, or emotionally charged views.

Failing to interpret information in an unbiased way can lead to serious misjudgments. By understanding this, we can learn to identify it in ourselves and others. We can be cautious of data that seems to immediately support our views.
    Last edited by 44MAG#1; 05-30-2021 at 03:01 PM.

Boolit Man
    tell it to Col. Rex Applegate...

Boolit Buddy
    Heck OP, shoot any way you like and are best at.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by gordie View Post
    tell it to Col. Rex Applegate...
    It would be hard to tell a dead man something. One then could tell it to Bill Blankenship or Herschel Anderson or Bonnie Harmon.
    What do I know? I know the answer to that, not much.

I guess I don’t really know why I started this thread. I think it just seemed like a good idea at the time. I had just returned home from a day of shooting the Sig P210 and some revolvers and had noticed how my groups were slightly better shooting one handed.
    Last edited by Kyle M.; 05-31-2021 at 01:04 AM.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle M. View Post
    I guess I don’t really no why I started this thread. I think it just seemed like a good idea at the time. I had just returned home from a day of shooting the Sig P210 and some revolvers and had noticed how my groups were slightly better shooting one handed.
    I would say most of us could say that.

Boolit Master
    You're a better shot than most of us. Your thread title is rubbing it in. I can take it, in my youth I was on a collegiate pistol team. That was long, long ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Norske View Post
    You're a better shot than most of us. Your thread title is rubbing it in. I can take it, in my youth I was on a collegiate pistol team. That was long, long ago.
    What makes you think I’m a better shot than anyone here let alone most? I somehow doubt that with as little as I get to the range these last few years.

Boolit Buddy

If you own a handgun to repel boarders, two hands is the way to roll. The traditional target stance is for those more interested in developing a difficult hand eye skill.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill*B View Post
    If you own a handgun to repel boarders, two hands is the way to roll. The traditional target stance is for those more interested in developing a difficult hand eye skill.
    If one is carrying their child or grandchild in their arms and someone picks them as an easy target because they are preoccupied with the child does that person throw the child down or toss the child to someone else so they can use two hands?
    Learning to use one hand could be a value sometime.
    I don't live in a palatial mansion so if I couldn't hit someone with one hand coming through my door then I'm in deep trouble even using two hands.
    There probably are other situations where learning to shoot one handed may be edifying.

Boolit Master

If one carries then absolutely one should be able to shoot with either hand, one handed and two. All kinds of good reasons.

Cat
    Cogito, ergo armatum sum.

(I think, therefore I'm armed.)

Boolit Master
    It’s good to practice with either hand, especially if you get wounded in the hand you use. Also be able to operate 1 handed such as racking a slide 1 handed. Changing a magazine 1 handed.
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government..... When the people fear their government there is tyranny, when the government fears the people, there is liberty." Thomas Jefferson

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234