Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxRotoMetals2
Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionInline FabricationWideners
Load Data
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Shooting one handed and why am I wrong?

Shooting one handed and why am I wrong?

So this goes back to 20 years ago when I started shooting. My first handguns were an H&R 999 and a Ruger single six and I started out shooting them one handed and did just fine. A few years later when I started shooting .380, 9mm and .45acp semi autos I switched to the Weaver stance, but I always shot revolvers even my S&W 629 one handed. In about 2013 I switched to revolvers only for a bit and stayed with the one handed hold, since 2017 I’ve owned quite a few auto pistols and have kept using a one handed hold. I shoot better one handed and I shoot just as well right or left handed.

In the past year or so I’ve asked quite a few people about this. The problem seems to be everyone says I’m wrong, I must be lying, it’s not possible to shoot well one handed. I’ve had everyone from fellow shooters, to people in law enforcement, to shooting instructors tell me this. I’m just plain wrong.

So my question is if I shoot better one handed and I prefer it then how and why am I wrong? some of my pistols like my Sig Sauer P210 which were designed before people shot two handed just feel better in one hand. I go to the range to plink and have fun and I feel that the way I’m most comfortable is the best way. Sure follow up shots may not be as fast but that doesn’t matter for what I’m doing. Also last time I checked bullseye was shot one handed.

Edit: That should be “I” not “I’m” in the thread title but I don’t seem to be able to edit it now that it’s posted.

Boolit Grand Master

If you want an education on single handed shooting attend one of the bigger NRA Bullseye matches.

https://bulletin.accurateshooter.com...cp-one-handed/

How accurate can a .45 ACP pistol be, in the hands of an expert marksman? Take a look at that target. This was shot off-hand (no rest) with ONE HAND at FIFTY (50) Yards. That’s TEN shots at 50 yards all inside the 3.36″ 10-Ring with eight shots in the 1.695″ diameter X-Ring.* We bet most folks would have trouble matching that with a scoped rifle shot standing.

NRA Pistol Book (March 2016):
    High Master .................................................. ......97.00 and above
    Master .................................................. ..................95.00 to 96.99
    Expert .................................................. ...................90.00 to 94.99
    Sharpshooter .................................................. ........85.00 to 89.99
    Marksman .................................................. ...............Below 85.00

These are all one handed so you have a basis to compare. Most people that are serious about it can achieve the Master Class. High Master takes a lot of dedication but if your eyes and build are not ideal High Master is very very tough. I am 6' 4" and most of the best shooters are on the short side. They can hold steadier.

As to right or wrong that needs to be settle on the range, however, if they can't do 10 shot groups at fifty yards on demand I tend not to listen to their opinions much. That being said more handgunners tend to do sustainably better with two hands. Like everything there are advantages and disadvantages to both methods.

For self defense two handed allows for quicker follow up shots but I have seen shooters that a pretty good two handed but are pitiful one handed.

What size groups are you capable of shooting on demand and at what distance?
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 05-27-2021 at 01:34 AM.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

I shoot one handed also. Seems more accurate and a better sight picture single handed.
    The Bird of Time has but a little way
    To fly-and Lo! the bird is on the wing

Something else I thought of after reading the above two posts. It depends on the gun, some handguns I own and have owned I could shoot amazingly well. Others were plenty accurate in the hands of fellow shooters but I had no luck with them.

Quote Originally Posted by M-Tecs View Post
    If you want an education on single handed shooting attend one of the bigger NRA Bullseye matches.

https://bulletin.accurateshooter.com...cp-one-handed/

How accurate can a .45 ACP pistol be, in the hands of an expert marksman? Take a look at that target. This was shot off-hand (no rest) with ONE HAND at FIFTY (50) Yards. That’s TEN shots at 50 yards all inside the 3.36″ 10-Ring with eight shots in the 1.695″ diameter X-Ring.* We bet most folks would have trouble matching that with a scoped rifle shot standing.

NRA Pistol Book (March 2016):
    High Master .................................................. ......97.00 and above
    Master .................................................. ..................95.00 to 96.99
    Expert .................................................. ...................90.00 to 94.99
    Sharpshooter .................................................. ........85.00 to 89.99
    Marksman .................................................. ...............Below 85.00

These are all one handed so you have a basis to compare. Most people that are serious about it can achieve the Master Class. High Master takes a lot of dedication but if your eyes and build are not ideal High Master is very very tough. I am 6' 4" and most of the best shooters are on the short side. They can hold steadier.

As to right or wrong that needs to be settle on the range, however, if they can't do 10 shot groups at fifty yards on demand I tend not to listen to their opinions much. That being said more handgunners tend to do sustainably better with two hands. Like everything there are advantages and disadvantages to both methods.

For self defense two handed allows for quicker follow up shots but I have seen shooters that a pretty good two handed but are pitiful one handed.

What size groups are you capable of shooting on demand and at what distance?
    Seeing a Bullseye match in person would be something, I’ve always been amazed at the skill of Bullseye shooters. I’m an average shooter and you’re right I couldn’t shoot those groups off hand at 50 yards with a scoped rifle. I often shoot 4” plates at 100 yards with open sighted rifles from the bench, haven’t tried off hand. I’d probably embarrass myself.

The older I get the more I find that I’m more of an acquirer of firearms than I am a shooter, but I won’t own something I can’t shoot. Of course casting and case forming aren’t out of the question, where there’s a will there’s a way.

Northern Virginia, where the freeway does roam.
    I think it has to do with grip fit and strong fingers, sight picture, everything becomes correct when I hold my arm out there. I have the same problem. I can hit the steel plate past 100 yards with the cz, just not when I'm using two hands.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Shoot which ever way yields the best results for you. Some shooters think I should shoot my double action revolvers in single action mode. If I wanted to do that, I could have saved money have bought all SA revolvers.

Winelover

You can always tell a Bulls Eye shooter at the range, weak hand in pocket handgun in strong hand.

If you shoot better one handed, why do you care what the Nay Sayers think? The idea is to have fun on the range.
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

Northern Virginia, where the freeway does roam.
    I am smiling when I say it's a problem

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    I shot in an informal winter bullseye league a couple years. 50 feet with .22 On a good day I could put 10 in an inch. But there were guys who could put 10 in quarter inch. Not as steady or sharp eyed these days so I make my targets a bit larger.

Boolit Master
    Puts a smile on my face reading these responses. I’d like to see the very best bullseye shooters pick up any handgun and start shooting at silhouette targets at 200m and see how well they do. I’ve shot with the best handgun shooters in the world and never saw a single one of them use one hand for anything except bullseye. Never once. Bullseye is a particular sport that requires certain types of shooting at specific ranges and at timed cycles. I personally would challenge anyone to shoot against me at using one hand against my two hands. You simply can’t compare apples to oranges here. I’m not taking anything away from the good bullseye shooters, but it’s a very, very limited discipline.

Boolit Master
    About 98% of my handgun shooting for the last twenty years has been Bullseye style. It does takes a lot of discipline and practice, but I really enjoy it over using two hands. However, it's easy to revert back to two-handed shooting with no loss of skill. In fact, many will likely see an improvement in their Weaver stance shooting after becoming at least somewhat proficient with Bullseye. Most of my shooting is at 25 yards. 50 yard Bullseye remains intimidating for me, but I still try it on occasion.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by lotech View Post
    About 98% of my handgun shooting for the last twenty years has been Bullseye style. It does takes a lot of discipline and practice, but I really enjoy it over using two hands. However, it's easy to revert back to two-handed shooting with no loss of skill. In fact, many will likely see an improvement in their Weaver stance shooting after becoming at least somewhat proficient with Bullseye. Most of my shooting is at 25 yards. 50 yard Bullseye remains intimidating for me, but I still try it on occasion.
    The mental discipline developed shooting bullseye carries over to any other form of handgun shooting. I’ve seen those who started out with “spray and pray” never develop accurate shooting skills. Bullseye is a great foundation to build upon.

Your certainly not wrong.....just a bit different than the majority of shooters.

I can’t shoot as well “single-handed”.....consequently I shoot with two. With the handgun that I’m presently attempting to become very proficient with.....I’m not “man enough” to use a “single-hand” hold with a 75 ounce + handgun! Heck.....it’s a handful, pun intended, using two hands! memtb
    You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“LETS GO BRANDON”

I was at the local range with a neighbor, Army vet, Ranger, 3 tours in the sandbox. He was playing with my H&R 732 in .32sw long.

Target looked like a shotgun pattern.

I stepped in, loaded it, took a one handed dueling stance. Fired 6 shots in about 8 seconds at 20 feet.
    All 6 within an inch. 2 perfect triangles one base up on top, base down on bottom, tops intermingled.

I pulled the target back and my buddy's mouth dropped, his eyes got VERY big. He started drooling.

" But, but, but, h h how'd you do that?"

I set the gun down, stepped back. Tossed over my shoulder as I walked away. "I used the Force".

One handed works sometimes. Especially with revolvers. The point is if it is stupid but it works it isn't stupid is it? Or Wrong.
    I truly believe we need to get back to basics.

Get right with the Lord.
    Get back to the land.
    Get back to thinking like our forefathers thought.

May the Lord bless you and keep you. May the Lord make His face to shine upon you and be gracious unto you
    and give you His peace. Let all of the earth – all of His creation – worship and praise His name! Make His
    praise glorious!

Previous posters have pretty much covered the subject, but I'll add my voice to those who say "You are not wrong!"

I frequently shoot pistols one handed. Further, in any practice session I'm sure to shoot some one handed with either hand.

The handgun was not invented to be a two handed firearm, that technique came along later. For most of it's existence the handgun has been fired with one hand.

Firing one handed from a draw is faster, as is point shooting.

Do what works best for you.

DG

Boolit Master
    It takes a lot of practice to shoot well. If you've practiced shooting one handed for years and have not shot 2 handed much, then it's not too big of a surprise that you shoot better one handed than 2 handed.

Boolit Master
    I like to shoot pistols one handed also.After all they are called HANDgun not HANDSgun.

I fixed your title.

If you like shooting one handed and do well why worry about it. I shoot for fun and shoot my revolvers that way too.
    Steve,

Life Member NRA
    Colorado Rifle Club member
    Rocky Mtn Gun Owners member
    NAGR member

Boolit Grand Master
    If using one hand as more accurate, there would not be a rule in Bullseye that you must shoot one handed. For the vast majority of shooters, they will be more accurate using two hands.

I started pistol shooting in Bullseye. It forces you to learn trigger control and sight picture. It also makes you a better off hand rifle shooter. But I still shoot better groups two handed.

Some of the stuff posted here is BS. 10 shots into a 1/4" at 50 ft...yea sure....Might happen once by luck but no one is that good...NO ONE...and few people have guns/ammo capable of that. My point is keyboard warriors are what they are....mostly BS'ers.

It costs nothing to go to a registered shoot and see talented people perform. Great learning experience. Better yet, join a league and so some informal competition. Also, look at the scores posted at registered shoots. It sets a better benchmark of performance to strive for than what gets posted on forums.

As to the OP, if you shoot better one handed, you are likely doing something wrong with your two handed set up. But do what works for you!!!
    Don Verna

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast