Inline FabricationLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Reloading EverythingWidenersRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Load Data Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 357 mag, 357 max 350 legend

If your rebore was to be on a Contender for a very small, light carbine I think that the .357 Max would be an unbeatable choice; but since you are starting with the Encore why not give yourself a bit of room to stretch if you want it with a .35-30 or a .35-40. They keep your desired rim, have great necks for cast, can be loaded down to match the little guys; but can push bullets 200 grains and over (the real sweet spot for .35s) much better.
    The first purpose of the Second Amendment is too often overlooked, fostering a liberty of mind and action necessary in the people of a free republic.

“Ironically, the only gun control in 19th century England was the policy forbidding police to have arms while on duty.”
    ~ Don B. Kates, Jr.

I considered a full new barrel ... but aftermarket barrels are WAY expensive and this 223 barrel will do nicely in this short barrel. Thinkin I need to go talk to Jess and find out his recommendation. Leaning hard towards the max chamber. Seems like it will do all I ever intend doing with it.

On the other hand, the Mag chamber needs no introduction and would maybe serve in the short barrel better then the Max. I am very much experienced with the 357 Mag cartridge. Have lusted for a short carbine so chambered for awhile.

As for a larger chamber, I have snazzy 38-55's and 444 as well as a plethora of 45-70's. Even carbine 375 Ruger which gives me as much FUN as I can possibly handle.

No this is for small game, medium game and birds as well as targets out to maybe 100 yards. Accuracy and mild recoil is the goal with this one.
    Last edited by bigted; 05-30-2021 at 09:32 PM.

Boolit Master
    Bigted -

Howdy !

Another case to consider ( if rimmed cases turn your crank ) would be the .357 Bain & Davis.
    A rimless version can be formed as a wildcat off .35 Remington brass. Could even be used in an " N "-frame chambered for it, via use of .45ACP moon clips.

For a similar case capacity, but on a rimless case ( again ) would be the " .357AutoMag ". I made a mild wildcat, by turning
    .357AutoMag into a true .358" calibre; for shooting rifle bullets. I used it to kill groundhogs out to .350yd ( farthest kill shot on those that I tried w/ the wildcat ). Easy to form off either 6BR or 7BR brass. I shot this wildcat in a benchrest-grade single shot bolt action, that had a custom Red Scherer 22" SS 5 groove.

Liked it a lot better than my .357Max SB2, and my .357Mag 1894SC ( for my shooting needs ).

With regards,
    357Mag

The .357 Max as a "small game" cartridge? Now I've heard everything.
    Cognitive Dissident

Well Sir I do not know whether you have heard "everything" or not.

My foraging idea for camp food begins with a very accurate center fire rifle that is capable of everything from bunny's to deer.

Hence "small game" with either the 357 Mag or Max. Be about like collecting squirrel with a 50 or 54 muzzleloader ( which I have done successfully and not wasting tastey meat). All depends on whether a feller can head shoot his game or not.. all this fooy about losing head shot game is old wives tales ... or ... fellas that do not get within range for such shots. I will not mention the amount of venison I have collected with a demunitive shell from a scoped rifle and NEVER lost a single animal. NEVER had to track or search for animals till I began shooting them with popular supposedly big game rifles shot through the heart/lungs area ... never lost one of these either but felt crummy seeing that animal run off after shooting a "kill" shot. I only tracked a few before I went back to killing them in their tracks ... humanely and in the head in exactly the correct place on the head. I have harvested everything from quail to huge Alaskan moose thusely and with no need for chasing the poor beast.

Anatomy and ability to place shots within 1/2 inch of your desire is all that is necessary to feed oneself while humanely collecting game or allowing them to escape unharmed if the opportunity is wrong.

Ted
    Last edited by bigted; 05-31-2021 at 01:12 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12