MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxSnyders JerkyLoad Data
Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingLee Precision
RotoMetals2 Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 50 Beowulf

Boolit Bub

50 Beowulf

Anyone cast and load for this one
    Son wants to build one so I’ve got a 440 lee mold and accurate 1680 and some little gun having load data not that commonplace anyone got some leads

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    I've built one last year just in the beginning of the frenzy. I've had a stash of 335 HP Rainier and am loading them over 2400. Makes watermelons disintegrate I was using Alexander Arms data for my loads, not sure if it's copyrighted or not so not posting link.

Try Reloader 7. My gun didn't like Lilgun. All I shoot is cast.

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Gundog I sent a PM
    Most of the tanks are gone and the windows don't rattle anymore. I won't be able to sleep now.

Boolit Man
    Alexander arms has reloading data on their website as does hornady.

I have 2 Beowulf’s. One is a bear creek with 9”? Barrel and an ALexander arms 16”. My favorite powder to run in them, along with most of all my other straight walls, is lil gun. I do have a 600gr load if you want to go that heavy and subsonic.

Boolit Buddy
    I use the lee 440 mold w/ 27 grains of 2400.

Boolit Master

Accurate has a 335gr mold that is a copy of the Rainer bullet.

Boolit Grand Master
    I use RL7 with the Lee 440. Will have to try the 2400 load

10.5 length AR, pistol gas tube
    35.0 g H110
    440 lee PC'd
    cci prime
    hits 4 inch steel plate at 100 every time (eotech dot is size of 4" plate at 100)

Lilgun is too hot on a single mag dump, the barrel cant be touched. the H110 load you can do more than 2 mag dumps before it gets as hot as one with lilgun
    and the 440 can be run subsonic and cycle with h110

Boolit Bub
    All good info but at the moment those are the only 2 suitable powders I have at the moment still looking for RL7 2400 H110 etc

Boolit Man
    Have you tried any loads yet?

Boolit Bub
    No not yet gout busy replacing my pickup front end and still really haven’t fount any good load data other little gun would prefer to use 1680

Boolit Mold
    New to site and glad to be a member! So it looks like we just don't have that much data for the Wulf, I'm finding myslef limited by the powder I had on hand before our current societal meltdown. I was finally able to locate some Mat's boolets in 460 grain thinking they would meet my hunting needs, I still expect so but good grief 440 Cast is the closest I've seen any data on. I have a few # of 2400, some H4895, Varget and pretty well pistol powder available. Should anyone have any data for the 460 Gr. it'd make my day, it looks like the only other option is to find a time machine, go back to 2019 and gear up

Thanks

Banner Sponsor

Hi KMill and welcome to the insanity. I don't have a 50 Beo, but do have Quickload. What is the length and loaded length of Matt's 460gn? Also your barrel length would be good to have. Do you have a chronograph?
    The easiest thing would be to take the load data for the 440 and back off about 2 grains. This should get you close.
    With the length and nose length of the 460gn bullet, I can plug it into Quickload to get an estimate on velocity and pressure. If the actual velocity is close to the predicted velocity, then we can assume that the pressure should be close. If the measured velocity is much higher, then the pressure will probably be higher also.

I took the NOE 463gn bullet at 1.011" with a loaded length of 2.25". 41grains of A1680 should give around 1540fps from a 16" barrel at around 31,000psi. This is not load data, only a simulation given the length inputs.
    FWIW

Here's a link to Alexander Arms data.
    http://www.alexanderarms.com/images/..._reloading.pdf
    Last edited by lar45; 09-20-2021 at 03:24 PM.

Try this

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk

Word of Warning: *
    - Do NOT use QuickLoad for non-published handloading unless you have a chronograph
    - Do NOT start loadouts any higher than 75-80% of max load until you have calibrated QL prediction to actual velocity
    - DO use the resultant (Vact/Vpred)^3 (cubed) to estimate most likely actual pressure.

This all goes double for straightwall case prediction

Banner Sponsor

mehavey, there seems to be something missing from your equation (Velocity actual/ Velocity predicted)^3 returns a number without a unit atached. Are we supposed to multiply this by the Pressure prediction?

The link above shows a max charge of 40gn RL7 with a 500gn bullet to give 1450fps. they don't specify a barrel length or pressure, just it's a max charge.
    Plug all that into Quickload with a 16" barrel returns 1531fps @ 35kpsi
    So we apply your equation. (1450fps/1531fps) the fps cancels out leaving = .947 ^3 = .849
    Now what do we do with the .849? multiply by the Pressure prediction? that would give P= 29715psi ?

Not trying to start anything, just trying to understand where you are coming from.

Lo siento mucho....
    The cubed ratio (Va/Vp)^3 is used to multiply the predicted pressure.

=(1450/1531)^3 * 35,000predicted psi = 29,734psi (approx) actual

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

If one actually has QuickLoad at that point, I'd go back in adjust Temperature
    and effective burn rate (Ba)for better real world approximation.

For the sake of example, consider QL (which defaults to 70 degrees temp)
    and an RL-7/Ba=0.7250, to predict this result:

Now you actually shot it on an 85 degree day, and got your 1,450fps as velocity

Going back intp QL and adjusting for 85 degrees and matching Burn Rate/Ba:

Note the Temp at 85, the velocity-matching Burn Rate of 0.6695 . . . and
    the resulting (probable) pressure of 29,374 psi.

(Compare that to the rough V-cubed result above)
    Last edited by mehavey; 09-20-2021 at 10:05 PM.

Boolit Man
    I’ve had good luck with the Lee 440 and green dot for subsonic loads. They actually cycle as well.

Boolit Master
    I do not have any 1680 tests, but it is in a similar burn rate range as SR4759.
    I use a couple 50 Beos in the AR platform.
    I use a surplus “flake” version of SR4759, which is actually a little faster burning, with a 400 grain MP flat point for about 1650 fps with 33 grains from the 16” barrels.
    “IF”…. it were “MY” goal I’d try the 1680 at about 25 grains to start, expecting it to be too weak to cycle properly, and move up 1 grain at a time until it can eject and lock the bolt back on an empty mag.
    I’d think that you’ll likely be somewhere near or above 30 grains before everything begins to run smoothly.

As always, start low and work up slowly with your own gun and components following all normal safety precautions.
    The “Big Bore” ARs are pretty forgiving if you take your time starting too low and moving up slowly with powders typically at the slower pistol burn rates that do not require high density loads to burn properly.
    “It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.”.... Mark Twain

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast