RotoMetals2Inline FabricationLoad DataReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersRepackboxTitan Reloading
Snyders Jerky Lee Precision

Thread: Parker Hale 308 Norma Magnum

Boolit Master

Parker Hale 308 Norma Magnum

I need some help/opinions on this rifle I found for sale. Asking price is $550.00
    A Parker-Hale in 308 Norma Magnum. Safari Model.
    Nice looking stock, 24 inch barrel...good lands. Blueing is at 85%.
    Appears to have been built on a Mauser 95 action. IS THAT ACTION STRONG ENOUGH FOR THE CALIBER?
    The bolt handle was modified to accept a scope. Also, it was drilled and tapped for scope mounts. ARE THERE ANY KNOWN PROBLEMS GETTING SCOPE BASES?

As I recall the Mauser 93 action had a flat on the bottom side of the bolt. The 95 and 98 models did not. Both the 93 and 95 had two locking lugs, the 98 has three.
    I have heard the Parker Hale was a quality manufacture, but have no experience with that brand.

Let me know your thoughts.
    Much apprecitated.
    ATR
    Death to every foe and traitor and hurrah, my boys, for freedom !

Boolit Master
    The 308 Norma has been around a long time and was edged out by the 300 Win Mag. It was easy to re-chamber 06's and open the bolt face. Have seen several 03's and a 19717 in 308 N. Not sure if a 93/95 action is suitable, the 308N is a 50K + round.

Boolit Grand Master
    IF it is a 95, I believe I would pass. On the other hand, if it is a small ring 98; it moves back into the maybe category.

Also kind of depends if it was a factory rifle or a bubba job on a military surplus action.

Leupold makes a one piece base for either of the Mausers.

Robert

Boolit Master
    I have one made on a German k98 Mauser with the heavy target bbl. back in the 80’s a lot of companies and gun smith where taking the 98’s and turning them into big game rifles. The 308 Norma mag and the 458 win mag was the biggest that would fit the action. The 458 win mag I had made up at a local gunsmith had the receiver sent off to have it re heat treated. Never got the rifle. The gun smith died suddenly from a infection and his business partner some how never could find it.

If I recall correctly, the Parker Hale rifles were built on Santa Barbara 98 actions from Spain. They are good rifles, the .308 Norma won't be a problem.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Banned
    Texas by God, I was thinking they were Zastava actions, either way they are strong enough and darn good rifles. I bought one in 6mm Remington when they first came on the market. It was many years ago but they are well made.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    If I recall correctly, the Parker Hale rifles were built on Santa Barbara 98 actions from Spain. They are good rifles, the .308 Norma won't be a problem.

TbG is correct. The interesting thing is that most shooters think the Parker Hales are excellent rifles yet for some reason think the Santa Barbaras are inferior. I've had a couple of Parker Hale Safari rifles and the Made in Spain had been ground off the side of the tang.

Boolit Master
    Parker Hales top line rifles used ex German WW2 Mauser 98 actions for many years...when the supply ran out,they started using new made Spanish actions......the Spanish didnt stack up against the German made actions,for cosmetic reasons...uneven rounding ,wobbly curves ,etc.....buyers were picky in those days.........even a farmers rat gun wouldnt have sold with a thick plastic trigger guard........anyhoo,Ive never seen a PH on a 95 Mauser,they are all 98s ..

Boolit Master

I think I am going to purchase this rifle. I like the caliber, it has a very good reputation for accuracy. Also the Parker Hale label is a plus.
    thanks for your thoughts
    atr
    Death to every foe and traitor and hurrah, my boys, for freedom !

I have one that I built on a Mark X with a 23" Douglas and it s a great round. You will notice that it has a little more neck than a 300 Win and the velocity difference is usually 100fps or less, plus you can seat a 200 gr Nosler Partition out to the end of the magazine box and it becomes nearly the same as a 300. I make brass from 300 Win and have used 7mm Mag brass but buying Norma dedicated brass is a much better but more expensive idea. It is a powerful 30cal.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

I've read that the .308 NM is the same as the 30-338 wildcat that was cool enough to be one of the three non-factory Remington 40X Target rifle chamberings; along with the 6x47mm and 6mm International.
    My friend had a Parker Hale deluxe 25-06 with Weatherby style points. It was probably a Santa B action; it reminded me of the one in a "kit gun" 7x57mm I built years later.( great gun).
    His PH matched his immaculate pickup truck, and he was proud of it- so he took my lead and bought a 788 to drag through the Mesquites for character scratches.
    I'd love to have a Parker Hale Mauser in 6x57mm( 6mm Remington), 7x57mm or 7x64 Brenneke (if they made them).

I've read that the .308 NM is the same as the 30-338 wildcat that was cool enough to be one of the three non-factory Remington 40X Target rifle chamberings; along with the 6x47mm and 6mm International.
    My friend had a Parker Hale deluxe 25-06 with Weatherby style points. It was probably a Santa B action; it reminded me of the one in a "kit gun" 7x57mm I built years later.( great gun).
    His PH matched his immaculate pickup truck, and he was proud of it- so he took my lead and bought a 788 to drag through the Mesquites for character scratches.
    I'd love to have a Parker Hale Mauser in 6x57mm( 6mm Remington), 7x57mm or 7x64 Brenneke (if they made them).

You've been reading my mind. I have an old Ruger 77 Tang Safety in 280 that is the next "victim" and it is going to be a 1-8" twist 23" 6mm Rem.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Banned

yup everyone i saw was just that

Boolit Buddy
    Santa Barbara Commercial Mauser 98 action. Plenty strong enough for a 308 Norma Mag, There's a good chance that "Spain" will be imprinted into the rear tang on the side below the wood line..

Banned

the couple i had were real shooters too. They must have used decent barrels.

Moderator / Master Tool & Die Maker

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Smale View Post
    .............They must have used decent barrels.
    Parker-Hale rotary forged their barrels..........hence the quality.

RRR
    "I Make the part.............................that makes the parts"

Looking for Bullet Mould Handles, Heavy Duty Replacement Sprue Plates, Adjustable Paper Patch Bullet Moulds? Check here:http://www.kal.castpics.net/

My Feedback!

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...Red-River-Rick