Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading EverythingLoad DataInline FabricationRepackbox
Wideners

Thread: Holster / leather care

Boolit Master

Holster / leather care

Howdy all,
    My son loves carrying his Nagant revolver when we're horseback changing pastures. Unfortunately, his holsters don't seem to hold up too well. Anyone have any suggestions for caring for the holster / possibly modifying it to "toughen it up"?
    Specifically, the belt loops tear, the closing flap and strap crack out and the cartridge box rips.
    (Yes, I do realize that they're not a high dollar item, but they are absolutely perfect for carrying that particular revolver).

Thank you!

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

I believe those commie holsters are pleather with leather accents.

Boolit Grand Master
    Your dealing with 30, 40 or even older plastic, which was not very durable to begin with. The straps and the belt loops are leather, and can be treated with saddlesoap, mink oil, or one of the brand names, such as Lexol, Obenauf's or Whites. But I know of nothing that will restore that plastic junk.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Banned
    Just asking but do you have any shooting buddies in Texas near Laredo? There is or was a fantastic leather shop in Nuevo Laredo made me 2 fine saddles when my boys all got grown I gave em away.

Yep, that Ain't leather. It's from a Nauga.... Naugahyde as in fake leather. Nothing you can put on it will help. Oils might deteriorate it faster.....

Boolit Master
    Y'all reiterated what I was basically thinking.
    Just got 3 / $10 from a gun show. Thinking what I'll do is have that son take one apart and use it as a template for his 4H leather project.

Thanks everyone!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by cwtebay View Post
    Y'all reiterated what I was basically thinking.
    Just got 3 / $10 from a gun show. Thinking what I'll do is have that son take one apart and use it as a template for his 4H leather project.

Thanks everyone!

That sounds like a great idea

Boolit Grand Master
    https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...raw-you-pistol
    Here's a helpful thread on pattern making. And I have another one that is a sticky in the special projects.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by rintinglen View Post
    https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...raw-you-pistol
    Here's a helpful thread on pattern making. And I have another one that is a sticky in the special projects.
    Thank you, he and I cut out the pattern this evening. I have a saddle maker buddy that will help him with the stitching and tooling.

Two things are missing on that holster. They are quality materials and reinforcement. The materials problem may be solved when your boy builds something with better stuff. I have made a few holsters and such and what I have discovered is that thicker materials last longer. It looks like whomever built that holster was skimping on materials. It's thin and it looks like it was cast off from a hat making project.

If you look at well built holsters you will find several things. One is VERY heavy leather. Cowhide or horse.

Another is multiple passes with the stitching. This one has one pass. No reason to not use three.

Another is rivets. They are installed where things tend to come apart - just like your jeans.

One thing that discourages holster makers from using thick leather is its stiffness. If you build it and then toss it in some warm water for ten minutes the leather will become very easy to work. Put the pistol - or knife - whatever - in a plastic bag and shove it into the holster to the depth you want it. Let it dry. If it is a holster for a pistol you can do things like putting clamps on the outside so the leather will extend into the trigger guard - or whatever - and then 'Bone' the leather with a toothbrush handle until the leather holds the gun/knife securely. Let it all dry for a while. The time will depend upon your area's ambient humidity.

After drying take the item out of the new holster, let the holster dry further, and finish. You need to grind where the leather seams together, polish it, and apply color if you want it and a finish. Be aware that you will need to care for your new holster. Use saddle soap to clean and put a finish on it once or twice a year.

I have two western holsters that I made several years ago. They are for a 42 waist left hand draw. One fits a Ruger 45LC 6" and the other fits Ruger 6" 44mag. Only worn them once of twice, 130 each. Have lotsa tooling on them. Very nice 9oz hide
    Sprue ™