RepackboxRotoMetals2Inline FabricationLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionReloading Everything
Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Marlin mongrel 30-30

Boolit Master

Marlin mongrel 30-30

I was looking at a Steven 325C bolt action .30-30 but I found a Marlin lever .30-30 for about the same money.
    It's been "rehabbed" as opposed to sporterized. New stock, added rear sight, perfect bore. 24" barrel.
    It's marked 'Marlin safety" on the receiver. On the barrel it's marked "Model 36 - A - DL - 30-30 - A".
    If that's the letter D before the serial number, it was made in 1947.
    I might, at some point, replace the rear sight with an original if I can find out what it looked like.
    Definitely not collector's grade but it'll be a good shooter.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCF5385.JPG   DSCF5369.JPG   DSCF5363.JPG   DSCF5362.JPG   DSCF5360.JPG  

DSCF5388.JPG  

Must be an old 30/30 with the square bolt. Nice fine.
    Whatever!

Banned

Does it have Microgroove or Ballard rifling?

Boolit Master
    Not sure why you called it a 'mongrel'. For some reason I have two of the 24" 30-30's. The Marlin 36 was made from 1936 to 1947. In the case of the Marlin 36, the 'D' MAY NOT reflect the year of manufacture. The Marlin 36 is pretty much a continuation of the square bolt Marlin 1893/93, I don't know what was changed. Of course in 1947, the round bolt Marlin 336 started production and the rest is history. I found on my square bolt Marlin 36's, 2 30-30's and a 32 Special, the lever throw does not seem as smooth as my 336's, whether it is a design issue, the square bolt or maybe just not smoothed from shooting?

Boolit Master
    Yeah, maybe I shouldn't have called it a mongrel. I'm not sure how much is original. The stock does look like a replacement, and I'm not sure about the peep sight. Microgroove or Ballard rifling? I'll do some research on that (so I can tell the difference).

From what I read, and from what I think I see, I'd say it has Ballard rifling. Deep and not many grooves.
    Last edited by Battis; 05-26-2021 at 11:26 AM.

Nice old Marlin. Like said above, the 36/1936 came after the 1893 and before the 336.

Boolit Buddy
    Marlin introduced microgroove in the large caliber centerfires in 1956 and the .22s earlier in 1953. I would keep that receiver sight on it. It's a period sight and will be much more effective than factory. The fat forestock might be original but the rear stock doesn't quite match the lower tang configuration. Metal appears in great condition. Maybe you can find an original buttstock.

Boolit Master
    I slugged the bore and it has four grooves (.308"). The rear stock looks like a replacement, but it does have the Marlin butt plate. I asked the salesman why the price was so low and he said because of the rear sight and the replacement stock. Well, OK, I'll take it. But they wouldn't sell it to me as a C&R because of the sight and stock. Well, OK, I'll still take it.
    I had a Winchester .30-30 that I gave to my son a few years ago. I like this Marlin better. It's heavy and solid.

Boolit Grand Master
    Not sure what's up with the lower tang/ stock interface, but the rifle doesn't look too awful. I'd keep it as is, as long as it shoots decent.

For close to the same money, I would a lot rather have a Marlin lever action than one of the Savage 340 family.

Robert

That sight is great! Very cool rifle!

Quote Originally Posted by smithnframe View Post
    Does it have Microgroove or Ballard rifling?

Microgroove rifling, introduced in 1953, was only a dream when that rifle was made.
    Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Master
    I liked the Winchester but I don't hunt, and it wasn't what I'd call a range gun. My son likes it.
    I found a site that sells repro stocks for the Marlin 36 but I think I'll hold off. The stock on the gun doesn't fit perfectly but it'll do.

Boolit Master
    Call it what you want but I would consider myself very lucky to have found it at a good price. Great sights, good bore, nice mechanical condition, what's not to like. A mint rifle is nice but I am a shooter, a little honest use and upkeep, I'm good if it shoots and I bet it will.

Boolit Master
    I would guess that a D prefix which would be a 47', also appears to be a later 336 stock installed. -A was for rifle with 24" barrel and the -DL was Deluxe, Brophy shown checkered forearm and pistol grip.

I have a 1947 model 36 that is in about the same condition and I think it is beautiful. Action is as smooth as glass and it shoots 2 inch groups at 100 yards, which is as good as I can do with open sights no matter how accurate the gun is.
    I love the 24 inch barrel, it feels just right. You got a dandy, not a mongrel.
    It has a little character added to it.
    Last edited by KMac; 05-26-2021 at 09:06 PM.
    " My people skills are just fine. It's my tolerance for idiots that needs work."

That is exactly the type I would love to find. I think I'm the only one in my entire hunting family that has never owned a thuty-thuty. Good find, whatever you do (or don't do) enjoy shooting it.
    NRA Benefactor

Boolit Master
    The receiver sight is a Lyman 56 (no letters). Looks old but it's in good shape. Just gotta figure out how to adjust it (might be gunked up).

Quote Originally Posted by Battis View Post
    The receiver sight is a Lyman 56 (no letters). Looks old but it's in good shape. Just gotta figure out how to adjust it (might be gunked up).
    The top screw/knob is the elevation adjustment, the screw plate on the LH side of the body needs to be loosened to adjust, tightened to lock it in place.

The screw/knob on the RH end of the aperture arm is the windage adjustment - which may/may not also have a locking screw (setscrew ?)

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Banned

Why in the world would you consider replacing a high quality receiver sight like that with an open rear sight and make it much harder to shoot accurately? The former owner of that rifle knew what he was doing.

Boolit Master
    Lack of knowledge. I didn't know what the sight was. Now it looks like the only part of the rifle that's out of place is the stock, and I can live with that. Lucky for me, the store didn't have much more knowledge about the rifle than I did.

Pietro - thanks for the info.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast