Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Inline FabricationSnyders Jerky
WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataLee Precision
Reloading Everything Repackbox

Thread: 18.5" NEF SB2 10ga - Reflex Sight?

18.5" NEF SB2 10ga - Reflex Sight?

Anyone put a red dot on one of these single shots? Where did you decide was safe to drill / tap? Or did you affix a rail by some other means?

Thanks!

Boolit Grand Master
    My hunting buddy and I thought of putting a scope on one back around 1983 and inquired of the wisdom with a gunsmith. He advised us the barrel was not thick enough to drill and tap, which agrees with what I now know. We wanted it for nighttime coyote calling. This was obviously before the miniature red dot era.

You may be able to glue a base on with one of the stronger epoxies, for a light red dot sight, but no guarantees it will stay in place.

Robert

Boolit Buddy
    This may not be ideal but it might give you a few ideas. It would probably be fine if you're only using a RDS.

https://youtu.be/o18kc3DVqqc

I've been leaning towards doing this for my son who has vision issues.
    Cargo

Boolit Buddy
    I have one of the 1990's factory 10 gauge turkey guns, all black w/ screw in chokes (came with extra full). The barrel is drilled and tapped at the factory for two #19 Weaver bases for mounting a scope in the "scout" position. Tried both a pistol scope and a pistol red dot. Didn't like them. Gun is almost too heavy for carrying. But if you want to deliver a 2 ounce load of #5s on a turkey head @ 40 yards+, this is the gun to do it. I wouldn't be afraid to shoot #4s out to 50 yards either. Never tried TSS or Hevi shot.

Quote Originally Posted by nhithaca View Post
    I have one of the 1990's factory 10 gauge turkey guns, all black w/ screw in chokes (came with extra full). The barrel is drilled and tapped at the factory for two #19 Weaver bases for mounting a scope in the "scout" position. Tried both a pistol scope and a pistol red dot. Didn't like them. Gun is almost too heavy for carrying. But if you want to deliver a 2 ounce load of #5s on a turkey head @ 40 yards+, this is the gun to do it. I wouldn't be afraid to shoot #4s out to 50 yards either. Never tried TSS or Hevi shot.
    Well again, this has been shortened to a barrel length of 18 5/8 in, so quite a lot lighter

Boolit Master

What happens is they shear off the screws. (Go ahead ask me how I know...)

I upped screw size to a 8 then added epoxy and used a light weight dot and it has been "living" on the gun for about a decade. Many slugs fired.

10g would be same and probably worse. If ya used a super small
    Light reflex AND epoxy AND over sized screws...might be OK.

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

What if a tight tolerance non-threaded stud were put between the screws?

Boolit Grand Master

How about a steel base and silver solder it in place. Maybe make it like quarter rail for more surface area

Quote Originally Posted by country gent View Post
    How about a steel base and silver solder it in place. Maybe make it like quarter rail for more surface area
    Sure, but would still need 2 normal points to hold it in place towards the axis of the bore, and then WHERE is it safe to drill reliefs for those non-threaded studs?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Boosted98gsx View Post
    Sure, but would still need 2 normal points to hold it in place towards the axis of the bore, and then WHERE is it safe to drill reliefs for those non-threaded studs?
    The silver soldered base would not need studs. Country Gent has the best solution, much stronger than epoxy but not as easy.
    Spell check doesn't work in Chrome, so if something is spelled wrong, it's just a typo that I missed.

What about machining like a pistol dovetail and then making an adapter to slide into that to then convert it to a rail for mounting? I measured the wall thickness of this pipe, and it's 0.200". How far down the tube would it be safe to take out some material?

The idea of soldering something onto it just screams "messy" in my head and difficult to keep centered on the smooth exterior of the barrel.

Boolit Master

Countless manufacturers silver solder on ribs and sights and even barrels together. If done with care, you wont know.

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by cwlongshot View Post
    Countless manufacturers silver solder on ribs and sights and even barrels together. If done with care, you wont know.

CW
    Perzackly.
    Spell check doesn't work in Chrome, so if something is spelled wrong, it's just a typo that I missed.